Ford Mustang Forum banner

Snowed in

5K views 51 replies 18 participants last post by  scotmo 
#1 ·
Like many of you, we got hit with our first winter storm that last couple of days. I had managed to get my bike put away for the season Sunday but not yet the Mustang. I took it out for a bit Sunday night after it started and it performed horribly in the little snow that was already on the ground. Anyway I started digging it out last night. I'll get it out of there by the weekend to change the oil, then stabilize the fuel, clear out that corner of the rest of the snow and put it back with the battery tender and cover where it will stay under snow for the winter. Any plans for yours?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Talk about some snow, 20.3" total in Dracut, judging by your location you must have gotten around the same. I run snow tires on mine but I don't drive it while it's snowing. I usually try to work from home when we get the over night storms like we just had.

#8 · (Edited)
Mine sits in it`s own small garage, but I did order a new Ariens snow blower for when we do get hammered. :)

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote
#9 ·
Here in southwestern Il. snow is hit or miss. Thirty or more years ago you could count on some pretty good snowfalls, but we haven't had much in quite some time. Two years ago we didn't have any measurable snowfall. I spent my working life outdoors [ RR switchman/brakeman ] and I really don't miss the snow. The state DOT still puts salt or salt brine on the roads if the weather looks like snow or ice, especially on bridges. I've never driven my '14 GT in the snow or when we have a lot of salt/brine on the roads, but I still try to drive it at least once every couple of weeks if possible.

#11 ·
I live below the snow line. If I need to take a trip to snowy areas I can always take my F350 FX4 dually. I have M+S all terrain tires on all wheels. I also carry chains for both front and rear wheels. I have Spikes Spider Sport traction control devices for my Mustang if I need to take it to the snow.

#15 ·
Power cord? Battery Tender? You have one of those Mustang EVs they talk about. LOL.

I feel blessed that I do not have winters like you have. They look fun at first but when my fingers and toes start tingling and I talk like a drunk and start slobbering I know I've had enough cold.

Reactions: scotmo
#19 ·
I put mine away before Thanksgiving. The roads in southern New England suck even in good weather, so I had enough.

Pete

#23 ·
The roads in southern New England suck even in good weather, so I had enough....
ain't that the truth -- my suspension is getting so clunky that I don't even like to drive the car any more, all new control arms going in over the winter

But I do have winter wheels and snow tires, might have to drive the 'stang a few times during the winter since my daughter will probably take our old Camry out to college at MCLA in North Adams . . . other than that it will rest comfortably in the garage

.... my Mustang actually has a factory block heater installed as she originated from Wasilla, AK. Anybody else have this factory option?
nope, I didn't even know that was an option -- Alaska only maybe?

#20 ·
Winter has come to MN. My Mustangs have been garaged since early Nov. I have my own two car garage for my Mustangs. Yes, my winter driver SUV sits outside. I have had to shovel & move snow a couple of times already. I did have my snowblower fully serviced this summer so I guess at least that is ready for what is coming at us. I go to my Mustang garage daily just to look at them. I have both of them up on jack stands to protect the tires from flat spots. What do you do regarding the tires? Do you put your car up on jack stands for the winter?

#22 ·
We've had one snow storm come through, but it has since melted. As long as its not too cold out I will drive my Mustang. I just installed Nitto N55R's, and they suck below 40 degrees. But my Mustang is on a battery tender all year around since she only gets driven irregularly, and even though she is garaged, my garage isn't insulated so it does get damned cold in there. However, my Mustang actually has a factory block heater installed as she originated from Wasilla, AK. Anybody else have this factory option?

#24 ·
Mine gets put up after the last race of the season, late Oct. It goes on the lift, wheels removed, Battery Tender hooked up, car cover and that's it. Do little tinkering during the winter..there's always something to do on it. Got some body work to do on the trunk and sides (holes), where the Roush spoiler used to be....

Attachments

#29 ·
#30 ·
You are Forgetting the Mother's Day storm in 1977 https://www.wcvb.com/article/the-may-storm-that-stunned-new-englanders/8100161#
We had a foot of Snow in North Billerica and lost power for 3 days.
Since Scotmo has his Vert out you had better watch out for the stuff in May.
We had already been swimming in our unheated pool in April. I remember it so well since I knocked out my bottom teeth on Mother's Day that year tooth.gif

#34 ·
^ whew, then we are saved . . . sort of like keeping the umbrella handy, because then it won't rain, LOL

#36 ·
I miss Massachusetts and actually prefer living there, except that it would interfere with the plans for my current/possibly future Mustang modding. I used to live in Leominster and loved it. Fort Devens... Not so much, but not completely terrible either.

I live NEAR East Tennessee, and much of my family still lives there. Some of my children and grandchildren live in Knoxville. I think you once mentioned you live in Clinton. I used to work on Clinton Hwy., at the "Little Cheaper Dealer" (Reeder Chevrolet) as a Mr. Good Wrench, when that program actually existed.

Anyway, my GT comes out of the body shop today after being repaired from Tree-Fall damage. Sadly, the weather here is still nasty. I'll drive it, but it won't look it's best until I can primp it up a bit. I'll take my Mustang in messy weather, over any of my other cars in any weather (except when salt is on the roads).

#41 ·
I must be a true New Englander from Mass, I've tried to move away twice but keep finding myself back here for some reason. My last stint away I was in Surprise AZ for 4 years, my first winter there every night dropped into the 20's.. I must have brought it with me. I agree with the food here in Mass, just can't find anything close to it anywhere and it doesn't matter what it is , pizza, subs, clam chowder, Chinese food, Italian food or what ever. Do I like the snow? Not so much the older I get but it's a good break from the mosquito's and bee's lol

#42 ·
I used to complain more about the winters here in Mass, but lately they haven't been so bad . . . there is a positive side to global warming . . . plus in my mid 50's I finally wised up and bought a house with a garage, which was a huge improvement in our "quality of life." And we don't usually have floods, earthquakes, forest fires, tornadoes, or hurricanes; so really not so bad!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.