Dead battery, need help with some questions - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020 Thread Starter
Rookie

Dead battery, need help with some questions

Hey all. Will try to keep this short. I bought a 2014 GT in Oct 2019. It has been sitting in my garage. It gets very cold here, and expectedly, the battery is dead. The key FOB wont even unlock the doors, so I take it the battery is fully drained.

I bought a Noco Genius1 charger/tender. I have a Motorcraft AZ BXT-96R battery in it. Research tells me this is an OEM battery. I do not know what TYPE of battery this is (AGM, Lithium, wet-cell etc.) nor how many "Ah" it is.

My Noco Genius1 unit has 4 modes. 12V, 12V AGM, 12V Lithium and a 6V.

I know my battery is 12V, but don't know anything more. Research came up empty. I have been "charging" it on 12V mode for about 14 hrs, and still no luck.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Needs to be replaced. When mine died, I just went to NAPA and they looked it up and sold me what I needed.

Beechkid and imps like this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

12v, Basic wet cell. If the Battery is dead the trickle charger might not be enough.
My NOCO Genius G7200 will charge my group 31 Deep Cell Marine battery in 8 hours.
Are you sure it is hooked up correctly and the cable didn't come off or something in that order.
crjackson2134 and imps like this.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Express View Post
12v, Basic wet cell. If the Battery is dead the trickle charger might not be enough.
My NOCO Genius G7200 will charge my group 31 Deep Cell Marine battery in 8 hours.
Are you sure it is hooked up correctly and the cable didn't come off or something in that order.
If it is wet cell, then 12V mode should be working (assuming battery isn't dead-dead).

It is pulsing red in the 12V mode so it should be "charging". + and - are hooked up correctly.

I am assuming it's the OEM battery and is fully dead due to the extreme cold we get here in Minnesota. Someone suggested getting an Interstate battery from Costco.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020
PONY Member

Trickle charger can take a few days to charge a fully drained battery, it all depends on how many amps it puts out.

2011 V6 Mustang - Premium 202A Spec (Pony Package) - SOLD!

2014 V8 Mustang - Premium 400A Spec
6 Speed Manual, 3.31 Rear
Black, Charcoal Black
Comfort Package, Security System
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighsayer11 View Post
Trickle charger can take a few days to charge a fully drained battery, it all depends on how many amps it puts out.
It is 1 amp

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GENIUS1-.../dp/B07W46BX31
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

chances are the battery is completely dead and will need to be replaced, but you could give it another day or two to be sure

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020
PONY Member

My factory battery lasted around 7 years so I went down to my local Ford dealer and bought another one. I think it was around $150
wjbertrand likes this.

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym>. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 61,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Both my Mustang and F150 have Walmart Batteries in them. The Mustang is going on year 3. It originally went bad from my Trickle Charger/battery tender overcharged it and dried it out. That was before the NOCO Genius.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
Rookie

Garage
A "typical" automotive battery has about 70 amp-hours of capacity (varies based on size and temperature). That means a one amp charger will take well over 70 hours to charge it, since a smart charger should not just deliver 1 amp all of the time. If it's really smart, it should deliver a small charge until the battery comes off "dead", then ramp up to one amp, and then taper off when the battery nears full charge.

You might consider borrowing a 10 amp battery charger or similar and connect it for a few hours just to see if the battery will even take a charge or not. At best, it will literally take days to make this determination with your one amp trickle charger.

Good Luck,

Sent from my G9 using Tapatalk

Mike

2011 GT/CS Convertible, Performance White w/ Black Top, CDC Shaker System and Light Bar, Cervinis Chin Spoiler/Splitter, Ford Racing "Foose" Mustang Springs, Ford Performance Sport Axle-Backs.
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Mine is 7.2 amps, That is the one that the Manufacturer of my Pool Vacuum remends for overnight charging.
I do have a 200 AMP Charger that will start it in my Garage but will also do 10 and 40 amps.

2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycelus View Post
Someone suggested getting an Interstate battery from Costco.

This is the last Interstate battery I ever purchased. It was less than a month old when this happened.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck 003.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	651.5 KB
ID:	613281  

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)

Last edited by crjackson2134; 02-11-2020 at 04:11 PM.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I have also had local shops recommend Interstate batteries . . . I think they do it because they make a lot of money on them . . . I think crjackson's melt-down is an exception not the rule, but it does show that there is nothing magic about them . . .

I have had good luck with Walmart batteries, they are relatively cheap and readily available at your local Wally World, and as far as I can tell they are just as good as the higher priced batteries, that is what I will be using in all my cars from here forward

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
PONY Member

Garage
Dead battery, need help with some questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
My factory battery lasted around 7 years so I went down to my local Ford dealer and bought another one. I think it was around $150

That's what I ended up doing too. I was originally going to install a Costco Interstate battery but both of the Costcos close to me said it was special order and would take a few days to get. That's more than a one-time inconvenience potentially, in the case where you need a warranty replacement, i'd have been stuck waiting again for a special order. The OEM Motorcraft battery available at the dealer a block down from Costco was only ~$40 more and I got good service from the first one.
David Young likes this.

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2013 GT Premium Brembo
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade

Last edited by wjbertrand; 02-11-2020 at 11:41 PM.
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
I think crjackson's melt-down is an exception not the rule, but it does show that there is nothing magic about them . . .
I think you're right, it was the exception. That said, it was all the exception I needed to turn me away from future purchases. As you can probably guess, I lost the whole truck in this meltdown.

“Once Bitten, Twice Shy” ...

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in