Which model to purchase 13/14 or 15-17? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Which model to purchase 13/14 or 15-17?

I have never owned a Mustang before so I have been doing a ton of research on which model I should buy. The 13/14 models look better than the newer ones to me, but they typically have more miles on them because they're older. I'm looking at the V6 models for those, I don't think the V8 would be practical for my daily driver. The 15-17 models are also in my price range (12K-19K) with the 4 cylinder EcoBoost. I have read so many arguments to both sides. People with the EB seem to love them, but the V6 is tried and true. Also the 15 model does come in V6 also, so that's another question I have considered, because it has both options. I like the muscle car look of the 13/14, whereas the 15-17 do look awesome, but more of a sport car than muscle. But then again, I am not getting a V8, so it is not a true muscle car anyways. Where does everyone stand on this between the V6 or 4 cylinder turbo? It is an automatic, I want to learn how to drive a manual, but I won't spend that much money for a car I technically don't know how to drive yet. Hopefully this is the right section, I posted in the S550 forum as well

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Just so you know, the V6 has more HP than almost every Mustang from 1972-2009 so it kind of is a Muscle Car.
I don't know what you want on the interior but if you want the stock leather you will have to get the 13-14 or the Ecoboost since the V6 was more towards the rental market and only had cloth seats and very few options.
My V6 with 14" Brembo Front Brakes and 13.8" GT500 rear brakes and better balance than a GT in the Corners.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2671899 (2).jpg
Views:	49
Size:	668.3 KB
ID:	613693   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200308_210406.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	613695  
dusman59 likes this.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss

Last edited by Siber Express; 03-31-2020 at 07:25 PM.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I have a '14 v6 with automatic. Yep, the v6 has plenty of pep, am now about at 40k miles. I bought it used about 5 years ago and paid $19k for it. It's the premium model with leather seats and track apps. It's been a solid ride, will be keeping it for some time to come. Like you, I don't like the body style of 15-17.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020
Rookie

I have a 2013 V8 Premium and its pretty good. I've had it since new (special ordered it). I've also driven 2015-2017 Turbo4 Premium rentals and they are pretty good too. I'd consider the Turbo-4 and get a tune and exhaust, it makes a big difference on them. The interior in the newer ones is better too.

Which would you rather have for the money?
* More power but worse fuel economy
* Less power, but better interior and fuel economy?

Back seat headroom is better on the older model vs the newer one due to the sloping roof line on the newer one, but I think the newer one looks better.

Drive both and see which feels better to you.

www.fadingarrow.com

2001 Black Firebird Formula 5.7L V8 --- 75th Anniversary Package

2013 Blue Mustang GT 5.0 V8 Premium
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020
Rookie

2015 gives you IRS so you have that. I have a V8. I drove the 6 and the 4 and in a nutshell, the biggest differences are the torque and the weight. I feel the weight of my car when I drive, on twisty back roads for example. The 4 feels like a feather in comparison. Like a true sports car.

Do you want a sports car or a muscle car is the question.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Do you mean there's a tax break for the 2015 models? I like the muscle car style much more. I figured the V6 was close enough to the V8 for me for the better fuel economy. Plus, I have never driven a stick. I'd love to learn, but don't think I want to spend that kind of money and teach myself. Seems a bit of a risk for me. So my thoughts were that a V6 is a happy medium between the three (since 2015 did come in V6 also). I think the S550 is nice, but it is definitely more of a sport car than the S197. The mileage isn't terribly different for me. But then comparing the V6 to the V8 again, the V6 is less of a muscle car than a V8 obviously
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020
Rookie

Garage
I've owned my 2014 for almost six years and I still love it. I've driven a couple of S550s (2015-2017) and it is a better car in pretty much every single way. I still prefer the looks on the 11-14s but I can appreciate the S550s. You really have to decide which one appeals to you more visually....and then still drive both before making a decision.

2014 Mustang GT, 6M, Black - "The DudeStang"
1988 Mustang GT, 5M, White - "Zorro Blanco"
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinner73
Do you mean there's a tax break for the 2015 models?
IRS = Independent Rear Suspension

The 2015+ Mustang has IRS. The previous models had Live/Sold Rear Axle.

IRS gives better ride and handling.

I've driven both and IRS is just so much better for ride and handling. Old-school drag racers prefer a solid rear axle because they are simpler and there is less to break and they can be made stronger compared to IRS. But people who prefer corner carving and a more comfortable ride prefer IRS. There are plenty of people putting out tons of power and putting good numbers through an IRS too.

Almost all new rear wheel drive cars use IRS. Sold Axle is disappearing except for trucks.

www.fadingarrow.com

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020
Rookie

Thanks, I missed the tax reference. lol
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
The S197 - any year, 6 or V8, can be made to handle better than people today give it credit for.

A 3.7L V6 has comparable power to the 4.6L V8 that's in my '08 GT . . . maybe a few more HP, a little less torque, and I think higher rpm capability. The 5.0's will walk away from you, but 300-ish is enough power to make for a fun ride out on a road course, whenever HPDE days start up again.

Personally, I'd pick a NA V6 over a turbo-4 every time that choice was available.

Norm
JBert, crjackson2134 and DudeStang like this.

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (the "family sedan")
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (the spare and occasional winter driver)
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
The S197 - any year, 6 or V8, can be made to handle better than people today give it credit for.
True, but IRS will still handle better and be more comfortable and for less work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Personally, I'd pick a NA V6 over a turbo-4 every time that choice was available.
Current Turbo4 already has more power than the V6. Tune and exhaust makes the gap larger. I've driven both. I'll take the Turbo4 over the V6.

www.fadingarrow.com

GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIP1 View Post
True, but IRS will still handle better and be more comfortable and for less work.
No argument on the ride comfort side. But the point where "handling better" starts making much difference is way, way out there. Well beyond any street driving.

This is enough to stay stuck to the rear bumper of cars having much more recognized reputations for cornering and handling than my 'lowly 3v S197". As long as we're all on comparable tires, anyway (I'm on MPSS, true street tires).

Quote:
Current Turbo4 already has more power than the V6. Tune and exhaust makes the gap larger. I've driven both. I'll take the Turbo4 over the V6.
True with a couple of asterisks.

V6 development has ceased, and turbo-4 development continues (and I'm aware of Ford's own power upgrade for this engine).

When you're caught off-boost, which is mostly an issue with manual transmission cars while driving around on 25 mph neighborhood streets, you're temporarily driving a small-displacement normally-aspirated 4. All turbocharged engines suffer from this to some extent or other, and I'd give up 50 HP on the top end to not be stuck with off-boost issues without thinking twice. Maybe more than 50. My sig should tell you all you need to know about the transmission thing.

Norm
crjackson2134 likes this.

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
Rookie

Stock for stock, IRS wins over Solid Axle. Heavily modified depends on how much you spend and how you set it up.

I didn't notice any big turbo lag problem driving around in the Turbo4. Yes turbo cars have lag, but this one isn't like modified cars with small engines and giant turbos that only make their power at the top end.

Like I said earlier to the poster, drive both and decide based on actual experience over internet arguments. Our opinions don't matter as much as the actual buyer. It all depends on what they like and how they plan to use it.

www.fadingarrow.com

GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIP1 View Post
Stock for stock, IRS wins over Solid Axle. Heavily modified depends on how much you spend and how you set it up.
It doesn't take as much as you think. Wheels, tires, sta-bars, shocks, struts, improved rear LCAs, and a moderately aggressive alignment. Nothing fancy at all, and short of getting a PP2 you'd be doing all the same things to an S550 GT and then some (cradle location devices) before it could run the same numbers with the same degree of composure.

Quote:
I didn't notice any big turbo lag problem driving around in the Turbo4. Yes turbo cars have lag, but this one isn't like modified cars with small engines and giant turbos that only make their power at the top end.
Methinks you should have taken more right turns through 90 city/neighborhood intersections. Even twin-scroll turbochargers running off an equal-length header are a bit soft under about 2000 rpm. Enough softer in my experience to make you grab 2nd when with a NA engine of comparable displacement you could still realistically stay in 3rd. Relaxed daily driving here, not when you're intentionally playing a bit / intentionally driving harder than necessary.

Quote:
Like I said earlier to the poster, drive both and decide based on actual experience over internet arguments. Our opinions don't matter as much as the actual buyer.
Agreed, but he should at least hear from both sides. The S197 has its disadvantages, but they aren't as bad as people make them out to be.

Norm
crjackson2134 likes this.

Rookie

Half of what you listed as Solid Rear Axle Mods also apply to IRS.

I own a 2013 S197 V8 so I know what its like. I've owned it since new (pre-ordered). I also have a 2001 Firebird V8 (owned since new). Both are Solid Rear Axle. The S197 is more comfortable than the f-body, but the f-body gives a raw-er/sportier feel. Adding a Watts-Link to the f-body will improve its track performance. I know its not the same comparison as the S197 vs S550.

When I drove the V6 and Turbo4 Mustangs they were extended rentals (months, not days) in California (I travel for work and often have to stay in an area for a while... but not in the past year). Where I stayed, the average street limits where 35-50 mph (not the typical New England 25-35mph). The V6 rentals were 2010-2011. The Turbo4 were 2016-2019. Not everyone is driving full-tilt all the time (and you really shouldn't on populated public roads) . Plus my cars and the rentals were autos. I did drive some twisties but I'm not a racer.

Having V6 Mustang rentals in 2010-2011 is what led me to buy my 2013 (ordered in late 2011 and picked-up may 2012). I compared the V6 and V8 and ordered the V8. However, if I was in the market now for another Mustang, I'd really consider the Turbo4 with Mag-Ride suspension. However, I like variety so the next car to add will probably be a sport sedan.

The suspension on my Mustang is stock although I have springs, sways, shocks, control arms in box waiting to install.

The suspension on my Firebird is not stock, shocks, sways, control arms, etc. I'm running roto-joints not rubber or poly.

I'm not saying the S197 is bad. Its not. Its good. Its just that the s550 is better.

The V8 will always give you more power. If you never owned one and are interested, then go for it. If you've had one in the past and want something of comparable power to the older V8 (the newer one has more power) but better fuel economy, then consider the Turbo4 or V6 if you really want to avoid a turbo (just stick with the later V6 and not the earlier one).

www.fadingarrow.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page