Ford Mustang Forum banner

Which model to purchase 13/14 or 15-17?

5K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  Zbird 
#1 ·
I have never owned a Mustang before so I have been doing a ton of research on which model I should buy. The 13/14 models look better than the newer ones to me, but they typically have more miles on them because they're older. I'm looking at the V6 models for those, I don't think the V8 would be practical for my daily driver. The 15-17 models are also in my price range (12K-19K) with the 4 cylinder EcoBoost. I have read so many arguments to both sides. People with the EB seem to love them, but the V6 is tried and true. Also the 15 model does come in V6 also, so that's another question I have considered, because it has both options. I like the muscle car look of the 13/14, whereas the 15-17 do look awesome, but more of a sport car than muscle. But then again, I am not getting a V8, so it is not a true muscle car anyways. Where does everyone stand on this between the V6 or 4 cylinder turbo? It is an automatic, I want to learn how to drive a manual, but I won't spend that much money for a car I technically don't know how to drive yet. Hopefully this is the right section, I posted in the S550 forum as well

#2 · (Edited)
Just so you know, the V6 has more HP than almost every Mustang from 1972-2009 so it kind of is a Muscle Car.
I don't know what you want on the interior but if you want the stock leather you will have to get the 13-14 or the Ecoboost since the V6 was more towards the rental market and only had cloth seats and very few options.
My V6 with 14" Brembo Front Brakes and 13.8" GT500 rear brakes and better balance than a GT in the Corners.

Attachments

Reactions: dusman59
#3 ·
I have a '14 v6 with automatic. Yep, the v6 has plenty of pep, am now about at 40k miles. I bought it used about 5 years ago and paid $19k for it. It's the premium model with leather seats and track apps. It's been a solid ride, will be keeping it for some time to come. Like you, I don't like the body style of 15-17.

#4 ·
I have a 2013 V8 Premium and its pretty good. I've had it since new (special ordered it). I've also driven 2015-2017 Turbo4 Premium rentals and they are pretty good too. I'd consider the Turbo-4 and get a tune and exhaust, it makes a big difference on them. The interior in the newer ones is better too.

Which would you rather have for the money?
* More power but worse fuel economy
* Less power, but better interior and fuel economy?

Back seat headroom is better on the older model vs the newer one due to the sloping roof line on the newer one, but I think the newer one looks better.

Drive both and see which feels better to you.

#5 ·
2015 gives you IRS so you have that. I have a V8. I drove the 6 and the 4 and in a nutshell, the biggest differences are the torque and the weight. I feel the weight of my car when I drive, on twisty back roads for example. The 4 feels like a feather in comparison. Like a true sports car.

Do you want a sports car or a muscle car is the question.

#6 ·
Do you mean there's a tax break for the 2015 models? I like the muscle car style much more. I figured the V6 was close enough to the V8 for me for the better fuel economy. Plus, I have never driven a stick. I'd love to learn, but don't think I want to spend that kind of money and teach myself. Seems a bit of a risk for me. So my thoughts were that a V6 is a happy medium between the three (since 2015 did come in V6 also). I think the S550 is nice, but it is definitely more of a sport car than the S197. The mileage isn't terribly different for me. But then comparing the V6 to the V8 again, the V6 is less of a muscle car than a V8 obviously

#7 ·
I've owned my 2014 for almost six years and I still love it. I've driven a couple of S550s (2015-2017) and it is a better car in pretty much every single way. I still prefer the looks on the 11-14s but I can appreciate the S550s. You really have to decide which one appeals to you more visually....and then still drive both before making a decision.

#8 ·
sdskinner73 said:
Do you mean there's a tax break for the 2015 models?
IRS = Independent Rear Suspension

The 2015+ Mustang has IRS. The previous models had Live/Sold Rear Axle.

IRS gives better ride and handling.

I've driven both and IRS is just so much better for ride and handling. Old-school drag racers prefer a solid rear axle because they are simpler and there is less to break and they can be made stronger compared to IRS. But people who prefer corner carving and a more comfortable ride prefer IRS. There are plenty of people putting out tons of power and putting good numbers through an IRS too.

Almost all new rear wheel drive cars use IRS. Sold Axle is disappearing except for trucks.

#10 ·
The S197 - any year, 6 or V8, can be made to handle better than people today give it credit for.

A 3.7L V6 has comparable power to the 4.6L V8 that's in my '08 GT . . . maybe a few more HP, a little less torque, and I think higher rpm capability. The 5.0's will walk away from you, but 300-ish is enough power to make for a fun ride out on a road course, whenever HPDE days start up again.

Personally, I'd pick a NA V6 over a turbo-4 every time that choice was available.

Norm

#11 ·
Norm Peterson said:
The S197 - any year, 6 or V8, can be made to handle better than people today give it credit for.
True, but IRS will still handle better and be more comfortable and for less work.

Norm Peterson said:
Personally, I'd pick a NA V6 over a turbo-4 every time that choice was available.
Current Turbo4 already has more power than the V6. Tune and exhaust makes the gap larger. I've driven both. I'll take the Turbo4 over the V6.

#12 ·
True, but IRS will still handle better and be more comfortable and for less work.
No argument on the ride comfort side. But the point where "handling better" starts making much difference is way, way out there. Well beyond any street driving.

This is enough to stay stuck to the rear bumper of cars having much more recognized reputations for cornering and handling than my 'lowly 3v S197". As long as we're all on comparable tires, anyway (I'm on MPSS, true street tires).

Current Turbo4 already has more power than the V6. Tune and exhaust makes the gap larger. I've driven both. I'll take the Turbo4 over the V6.
True with a couple of asterisks.

V6 development has ceased, and turbo-4 development continues (and I'm aware of Ford's own power upgrade for this engine).

When you're caught off-boost, which is mostly an issue with manual transmission cars while driving around on 25 mph neighborhood streets, you're temporarily driving a small-displacement normally-aspirated 4. All turbocharged engines suffer from this to some extent or other, and I'd give up 50 HP on the top end to not be stuck with off-boost issues without thinking twice. Maybe more than 50. My sig should tell you all you need to know about the transmission thing.

Norm

Reactions: crjackson
#13 ·
Stock for stock, IRS wins over Solid Axle. Heavily modified depends on how much you spend and how you set it up.

I didn't notice any big turbo lag problem driving around in the Turbo4. Yes turbo cars have lag, but this one isn't like modified cars with small engines and giant turbos that only make their power at the top end.

Like I said earlier to the poster, drive both and decide based on actual experience over internet arguments. Our opinions don't matter as much as the actual buyer. It all depends on what they like and how they plan to use it.

#14 ·
Stock for stock, IRS wins over Solid Axle. Heavily modified depends on how much you spend and how you set it up.
It doesn't take as much as you think. Wheels, tires, sta-bars, shocks, struts, improved rear LCAs, and a moderately aggressive alignment. Nothing fancy at all, and short of getting a PP2 you'd be doing all the same things to an S550 GT and then some (cradle location devices) before it could run the same numbers with the same degree of composure.

I didn't notice any big turbo lag problem driving around in the Turbo4. Yes turbo cars have lag, but this one isn't like modified cars with small engines and giant turbos that only make their power at the top end.
Methinks you should have taken more right turns through 90° city/neighborhood intersections. Even twin-scroll turbochargers running off an equal-length header are a bit soft under about 2000 rpm. Enough softer in my experience to make you grab 2nd when with a NA engine of comparable displacement you could still realistically stay in 3rd. Relaxed daily driving here, not when you're intentionally playing a bit / intentionally driving harder than necessary.

Like I said earlier to the poster, drive both and decide based on actual experience over internet arguments. Our opinions don't matter as much as the actual buyer.
Agreed, but he should at least hear from both sides. The S197 has its disadvantages, but they aren't as bad as people make them out to be.

Norm

Reactions: crjackson
#15 ·
Half of what you listed as Solid Rear Axle Mods also apply to IRS.

I own a 2013 S197 V8 so I know what its like. I've owned it since new (pre-ordered). I also have a 2001 Firebird V8 (owned since new). Both are Solid Rear Axle. The S197 is more comfortable than the f-body, but the f-body gives a raw-er/sportier feel. Adding a Watts-Link to the f-body will improve its track performance. I know its not the same comparison as the S197 vs S550.

When I drove the V6 and Turbo4 Mustangs they were extended rentals (months, not days) in California (I travel for work and often have to stay in an area for a while... but not in the past year). Where I stayed, the average street limits where 35-50 mph (not the typical New England 25-35mph). The V6 rentals were 2010-2011. The Turbo4 were 2016-2019. Not everyone is driving full-tilt all the time (and you really shouldn't on populated public roads) . Plus my cars and the rentals were autos. I did drive some twisties but I'm not a racer.

Having V6 Mustang rentals in 2010-2011 is what led me to buy my 2013 (ordered in late 2011 and picked-up may 2012). I compared the V6 and V8 and ordered the V8. However, if I was in the market now for another Mustang, I'd really consider the Turbo4 with Mag-Ride suspension. However, I like variety so the next car to add will probably be a sport sedan.

The suspension on my Mustang is stock although I have springs, sways, shocks, control arms in box waiting to install.

The suspension on my Firebird is not stock, shocks, sways, control arms, etc. I'm running roto-joints not rubber or poly.

I'm not saying the S197 is bad. Its not. Its good. Its just that the s550 is better.

The V8 will always give you more power. If you never owned one and are interested, then go for it. If you've had one in the past and want something of comparable power to the older V8 (the newer one has more power) but better fuel economy, then consider the Turbo4 or V6 if you really want to avoid a turbo (just stick with the later V6 and not the earlier one).

#16 · (Edited)
The whole list actually, given that the LCA bearing kits offered for the S550 are analogous to the LCAs with rod ends or stiffer-than-OE bushings that an S197 would get. Beyond that, IRS cars driven autocross- or HPDE-level hard generally need cradle location improvements over OE that the S197 does not.

Side note with respect to the 4th gen F-body . . . they really are easy cars to drive hard. I got to drive one at autocross many years ago, just jumped into it with zero prior 3rd or 4th gen F-body driving experience and ran within half a second of the car owner's times. Car was fairly well prepped for ESP with a cage and big Hoosiers.

Good call on the UMI Roto-Joints, a choice that most Mustang people aren't even be aware of (I have Currie LCAs on my '08, which use the original Johnny-Joints on one end, basically the same thing). Any chance you have (or had) a presence on CamaroZ28 or FRRAX?

Norm

#17 ·
I know of CamaroZ28 and FRRAX but I rarely go there.

However, I'm a Mod at LS1Tech (same screenname). I've been on there since early 2002, not long after the site went live and I've been a Mod there for probably half that time. Sam Strano is a sponsor on LS1Tech (He's won some events and runs a shop) and I have some of his parts on my Firebird.

#19 ·
Sam Strano is a sponsor on LS1Tech (He's won some events and runs a shop) and I have some of his parts on my Firebird.
I've known Sam from before I bought my '08, back when he was running a Camaro in F Stock. Met him in person a few times, and there's a few Stranoparts-sourced bits on my '08 that I'd recommend to anybody building up a dual-purpose street/occasional track day car.

Norm

#18 ·
I've owned two S197 V6s as daily drivers and driven a bunch of S550s. The S197 cars are more livable. They have more interior space, usable back seats, are easier to get in and out, and are taller off the ground for visibility. That's not to say the S550 is not livable, but the S197 is better if you're using it as a daily driver.

If you do decide on the S550, I would definitely get a V6. The turbo-fours are herky jerky and exhausting to drive. The 2018 refresh got better but it just can't beat a V6 even if it's slightly faster 0-60.

#21 ·
I have had a similar decision process when I was still working (thanks COVID-19).

I have a 2012 GT/CS and I was offered to test drive a 2016 V6 and GT PP brand new with less than 100 miles on it when i went to look at my 2012.
I test drove the v6, and did NOT like it, but i'm a car guy... so having that v8 sound behind me is almost essential, especially when i spent the past year~ish driving around a 2015 kia optima that I bought new in 2015.

When i test drove the 16 GT, for one... it was an auto, so not really as fun, but it was a PP and I wanted to mostly give those brakes a shot.
My first impression was 'crap, there's no clutch or shifter', but the brakes were great. However... another reason I wanted to test drive the GT is to see how I felt in a GT w/ that s550 interior that looked wildly different in my opinion. My resulting opinion was that It felt more comfortable than the v6, mostly because of the sound, and the leather seats, but something felt off, for one.. yes it was an auto, so that was a negative side for me personally. but something about the car, and the look it had on the outside didn't really give me that 'agressive' feeling. I didn't care for the s550 platform when it was shown off at first, and seeing it in person was only confirming the small details that I didn't like.

Side note: I didn't like the 13-14 models because of the adopted front end that came from the shelby made the years prior, that was that 'hunch' in the front above the front grill. I didn't like that at all.

So, obviously from my first sentence here, I drove the 2012 GT/CS and I don't know why, or what that car was saying to me but it was something similar to 'buy me'. The hood was the style I liked, it draped over the grill and the lights when down, and there was no 'hunch' on the front end, so it immediately looked 1000x better than that 2016 GT PP, It missed the brembos... but I wasn't as impressed w/ the brembo's because the 2012 stopped good enough that I forgot it didn't have brembos.

So, those were those 3 specific models.
First off, the only model year i drove 13-14 were a 13' V6 and V8 (GT). I wasn't interested in the body style of them, I simply wanted to test drive them and see if I felt any difference at all between my car and them.
I didn't feel enough of a difference to warrant trading in my GT/CS on a base model GT... and def. not a v6.

I wasn't really looking for them anyway, I was looking for a second 'daily' after my GT reached about 85k miles.
I wanted a v6, or a cheap GT that had nothing special about it, mileage wasn't a concern, and my insurance company at the time lopped the v6 with the GT and didn't care which I had because I actually AM a safe driver (mostly).

So after that, I went to another dealer and test drove an ecoboost, V6, and a GT all in one go!
I wasn't wasting their time because I showed them I had 2000$ to put down and depending on the car I chose, I had more saved up (then anyway).
So the V6 was first, I wanted to get a pure comparison of the engine feel, driving feel etc.
the v6 was a 16 model, but I wanted to drive it again to see if my mood changed after owning the 2012 GT/CS for so long.
It didn't, i hated the v6, and it was also uncomfortable compared even to my 2012 GT/CS w/ the leather seats and the inserts... and the v6 didn't have heated seats xD.
I passed on it quickly....

The ecoboost was my next choice, and it was a 17 model, less miles, but surprisingly cheaper than I thought, They wanted I think 16.5 for the car on sticker. I thought it might be worth having a 4cyl mustang... if nothing else for the fact it was another mustang and I would still be driving a mustang, even it it wasn't a v8.
The ecoboost didn't disappoint surprisingly, maybe it was because it was newer, or because it had leather seats, (I actually didn't really want leather, but i'm not picky), or maybe because I hadn't felt the 4cyl yet and it surprised me compared to the kia optima I used to have... either way, I almost took that car home, it just felt like a good mid-car between the v8 and a daily. It didn't feel as fast, but it was comfortable, so I left it open as an option.

Then I drove a practically brand new 17 GT, with a PP, because the dealer said the others all had PP and it didn't matter anyway.(they only had like 5 GT's).
So I test drove that GT and I have to admit, I liked the exhaust and exhaust modes, and there was a little more styling done to the car (or i thought there was anyway). The handling felt about the same as my 2012 GT/CS, so nothing impressive, and then the stopping power, obviously after years of using standard brakes, I felt like using brembo's at that point had a little more stopping power, but nothing really that impressive.
The V8 sound instantly relaxed me much more than driving the other 2 cars though... which made me almost want to buy another GT, but in the end, I chose to keep my 2012 GT/CS and wait a year or two to get another daily.

Fast forward and I got laid off (due to a company move across the country before COVID-19).
I worked at an auto-auction nearby, and was able to drive 18+ ecoboost and v8 options, one which was fully loaded.
There are a few small touches that made me like the 18+ bodystyle, such as the hood draping over the lights more, and the front in general seeming more defined than the older ones. Either way, the 4cyl 18 model... felt lighter, I was never allowed to go over 30mph, but around a corner, it felt as if it had some sort of suspension upgrade that made the car feel like it was floating, and the engine exhaust was hardly in my ear, so it wasn't annoying... but in a way it was, being used to a v8 sound.

I felt the same improvements in the 18 GT's, they felt so light, of course the sound was there, which i liked personally, so it was both comfortable and several small touches on the cars made them feel better overall... but in all honesty, I kind of like the rough feel of older cars more.
The 18 manuals also have clutches that feel buttery smooth... which I personally didn't care for, they were so easy to press, and you had to go so far down to the floor for it to engage properly, that my foot actually slipped off the clutch pedal while I was going to shift it into second gear. I blame the detail guys for that though, wiping off everything....

When I went to get a cheap daily i found a 15 ecoboost for 12,500, it had over 50k miles, so ... not the best, but it had a large display, and it was a manual. I was almost sold immediately, come to find out there had been a ding on the rear passenger, they couldn't finance it at all, even with 2k down (not a lot but i couldn't afford more and still pay my GT off :p)
So that car got sold shortly after and I never saw it again, but I have a dealer near me looking for a 15-17 ecoboost for me as a daily.
I don't care about any options, except I specified NO leather seats... except I want seat warmers , so that conversation was interesting.
Anyway...

To conclude that massive story more or less... I've driven them all, and my experience will vary from yours greatly, as you may not be as much of a performance enthusiast person as me. I personally think the car needs the v8 to be relaxing.... but i digress.

If you want comfort, you probably want the 15-17 model year, you're already in used car territory, so mileage will literally vary on the cars, so do yourself a favor and self-inspect the cars inside and outside before you make your decision.

If you want the v6, I would honestly go with a 13-14 since it will be cheaper, and it's only usage is as a daily anyway.

Now, if you want a 'real' mustang, then go with a v8, 13-14 or 15-17 and you can't go wrong, you can still get 20MPG on highway (around 80mph if that's your thing) and more if you are 'conservative' and only go 70mph.

However, if fuel economy is your biggest issue, and you travel a long way, go ahead and grab an ecoboost, but I recommend grabbing the 16-17 model year, as the 15 i've had plenty of people tell me that they have varying fuel economy for some reason. I can't back that up, but it's really up to you!

If you want a personal opinion on what I would choose (forgoing the distaste of the body styles) as a daily, I would grab the ecoboost...for the mpg, and just to have a newer body... but that's because I already have a 2012 v8 ;)

I would probably mod the 4cyl, 6cyl, or even another v8 if I got it anyway, so for me, my choice is probably negligent xD

I hope my long and fun little story about my experience with all of them helped.

quick side note... I have a friend that owned a v6 2014, and swapped up? to a 16 ecoboost and he says he loves it so much more than the older car and he's only owned it a few months now, so another opinion for you there.

#24 ·
Thank you all for your advice/opinions. I ended up getting a 2014 V6 premium with only 28K miles on it. What a hell of a vehicle. I love everything about it. Definitely see how people get sucked into the never ending modification circle. Probably going to change the muffler from the factory to a stainless steel option. What an upgrade from my measly 2007 4cyl Malibu

Attachments

#25 ·
Congrats, beautiful car. Good choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.