Ford Mustang Forum banner

$700+ to paint the hood

3K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  scotmo 
#1 ·
The paint has been flaking off more where it had been bubbling the last couple of years and I decided to bring it to a shop to get an estimate of cost to fix/touch it up. They want to do the whole hood for at least $700, possibly more. I asked a bout a few other minor things around the car to do at the same time and we're looking at about $2900. Not going to happen. I'll try a couple other places first and if need be take a spray can to it.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I just paid $450 for the paint on the hood and $450 to fix my front bumper and paint it.
Mind you I replaced my hood with a Fiberglass Cervini's so there was no body work involved on it. I also realize that the way the hood corrodes from the inside of a closed seam the Corrosion has a high probability of coming back.

Attachments

Reactions: dusman59
#5 ·
Black color car! Easy temp fix until you get it repaired properly. Black Sharpie. The corroded area in the photo is large, but I used Sharpie to cover the few corroded spots on the leading and side edges of my hood and from a distance could barely see it.

A shop that wants to charge more money than you think is reasonable needs to be asked why the cost is high and inquire about their repair process is. The reason why inquiring is important is because aluminum hoods require dedicated tools so you do not transfer iron from tools used on metal body parts. You have to use an abrasive blast that is free of iron oxide. And have to use a clean area that will not be contaminated by dust containing iron particles generated by adjacent work.

Iron contamination is why our aluminum hoods have this problem. The most prone area where the contamination gets entrapped and corrosion starts is the roll seams on the edges of the hood. And using a tack cloth to try and remove iron laden dust is not effective.

Reactions: scotmo
#6 ·
Get a different hood. Repair to this hood won't last. Most shops won't dirty a spray gun for less than $350. Any prep needs to be considered also.

Reactions: crjackson
#7 ·
Mine had corrosion on the front lip, and the car was in the Ford body shop for tree-fall repairs. They wouldn’t fix the hood because of the corrosion. Instead, one of the body/paint techs. donated a 2014 Shelby hood. They prepped and painted it to match. If they hadn’t donated the hood, I would have went aftermarket and got the same hood as @Siber Express.

Reactions: scotmo and dusman59
#8 · (Edited)
They were guestimating based on an Explorer hood they had recently done' Was only looking at ballpark prices and so for the only place I went. I may shop some more. A lot of places though are down with 80% of their workforce gone because of the lock downs. Even this place mad me call from the outside and came out to look at it, understandably.

#9 ·
I went to a paint/body shop nearby and was quoting getting some dents and things fixed (which would have required a panel and paint because one dent is on a seam and would take excessive body work to get it right.)
Funny thing is, for the 3-4 dents that aren't really that bad, they wanted 700$ flat to fix those specific dents and said they would prefer to fully repaint the areas+ re-order the side stripes (GT/CS).
700$ for those dents, paint, replacing the stripe, was fine.
When it came to the hood dents, they said they could pop them, but that it would cost more than the dents and repainting of the dents on the side...

To clarify, the 700$ was for 1 deep-ish dent near the gas tank (it's not as bad as it sounds), 1 smaller dent near that, a bent area above the gas tank on the body line (that is kinda bad), and then the worst on that panel is above the quarter window it's on the body seam there... and it's the one that made the guy say that it would be better off ordering the whole panel and replacing it, and repainting it/clear coat.

...included in that is a bad door ding, not caused by me (all these were there when i bough it, and i have proof).
It's on the driver side door right over where the GT/CS is, below the mirror... as far as car doors go, for a show car, it's the worst dent on the car by far. It's also the weirdest, because it looks like something fell on it, from above, but also pushed in, I still have no idea what that was...

But all that was quoted for 700$, and about 1200$ if I wanted to replace the door instead.
But then came what looks like hail taps on the roof and hood, and they said I might as well replace the hood, and the top would have cost me about 400$ because of the 10~ish little dings there.
I was told about 1600$ for everything... but for the hood, apparently getting a new one is even a body shops choice.
now I was told I could get them to attempt to pop the hood dings, but it would have cost me per-hr on all the little dings on the hood because it was more delicate and not as easy to work as the other parts of the car.

I haven't had the cash to do it, but I plan to get that door fixed and the back panel before I ever think about the hood....

Anyway, hope that helped, 700$ isn't bad, but I'd honestly say get another hood, thankfully mine isn't as bad as yours :)

#11 ·
That's a nasty scratch by the fuel door. What caused that? Just curious ...

#12 ·
that's a really good (cheap) price, hope they do good work!

Reactions: Beechkid
#14 ·
Don't bother fixing the hood, it will only come back. Your best bet is to replace the hood with either a fiberglass or carbon fiber hood. Look in my garage to see how I solved the problem. The hood bubbling has been an issue for 15 years now, and Ford has done nothing to solve the problem.

#15 ·
Got it back a little while ago. They did an amazing job, $600 even and even buffed out some scratches on the passenger side. He said the primer has zinc in it and should help slow the process with the aluminum issue though its inevitable that it will come back. We knew that anyway. He said after I dropped mine off the got another with the same problem, a red GT

Attachments

#16 ·
nice! not bad . . . I was thinking about replacing my hood with a carbon fiber one for about $900 assuming it would cost over $1,000 for paint, but now maybe I'll shop around for a repaint also

Reactions: scotmo
#17 ·
I've had the same issue with my 06 with aluminum hood.
Ford put out a TSB in 05. Ford repaired mine twice since then and it continues to corrode. I went to 3 large autobody shops last year for estimates to repair hood and some other small dings.
None of the shops (one was a authorized Tesla shop that works on aluminum) would guarantee the work. Unfortunately it will keep coming back after a few years. My friend has a new Expedition with same issue! Paint blisters on front edge of hood.

I may change to fiberglass or carbon fiber but also may trade in for a new 2020 GT. I believe those hoods are steel.
Good luck.
Bob

Attachments

#20 ·
Bet it wasn't as cheap as Earl Scheib. Back in the early 70's I had a car painted for less than 50 bucks. We did the body prep and masked off most of the car except the wheels and glass and drove it to one of his SoCal locations and actually got a decent enamel paint job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.