2011 Mustang + question about V6 - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
MACH I Member
S197 Member

It used to be about a 40/60% split between the 8 and the 6. Think a lot of that was not dictated by needs or wants like we like to think. Ford still has to look at their CAFE and move to meet those goals.
Dave

2015 Stage 3 Roush
'66' Ranchero w/almost done 302 T-5 swap
2000 4x4 Ranger
2003 4x2 Ranger
'69' Fairlane Cobra, 428 4-speed waiting for work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rookie

I almost bought a V6 Mustang (05+) but got turned off because of a few difference. As many of you well know a V6 doesn't sound like a V8 and although that is apples and oranges, it's a biggie for me. That aside let's talk about the main reasons I got a GT: GTs come with the 8.8, drive shaft rated for 150+, dual exhaust,bigger brakes... well, you get the idea. Exhaust is a pretty low cost difference but the issue with the drive shaft on the V6s and top end finished it off for me. By the time I got done straightening that issue out I figured I could have put that money towards the V8.

Now, the 11's? Looks like that's not going to be a problem however, I don't know what rear ends they will have...looks like the V6 AND V8 for 2011 will share the same rear end and both will have dual exhaust. (If anyone knows for sure about the rears please share)
I have to admit, the new 3.7 is a real high winding gem and it will be interesting to see how it responds to mods and FI.

Bottom line? Not a big fan of the <2011 V6 Mustangs but the 2011? It actually has a chance at making it onto my purchase list.

PONY Member

According to the Detroit News, not only are the 2011 pre orders up, but the V6 is up more (19% higher)

11,000 pony up for new Mustang

Bryce G. Hoffman / The Detroit News

Ford Motor Co. says 11,000 customers already have placed orders for the 2011 Ford Mustang -- three times the number of advance orders booked for the last model at this point in its launch.
"Fuel economy ranks among the top two reasons people choose vehicles," said Steve Ling, Ford's North America car marketing manager. "With the 2011 Mustang lineup, we've found a way to offer even better fuel efficiency for V-6, GT and even Shelby GT500 performance drivers -- while improving performance. And consumers are responding."
The new V-6 version of Ford's popular pony car gets 30 miles per gallon -- a 25 percent improvement over the current model. Orders for V-6s are up 19 percent over last year, Ford said.

2013 MCA Convertible, automatic - Revelare Designs cowl hood, Hellion single turbo.

PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

i find it funny how nowadays we say that the 306hp v6 is finnaly starting to keep up when i remember back in 03' when i really started to get intrested in mustangs the 193hp 3.8 was a big deal. lol technology is flying

The only thing college is teaching me is how to be good at being broke

In vino veritas

1969 Mach 1 (Red) sold
2003 V6 (black) Rammed by an Oddesy RIP
2006 gt (red) sold
2014 V6 (grey)
Apprentice

I've never had anyone ask me why I didn't get a GT. The 4.0L V6 has the same amount of hp as the pre-99 GTs. The only ones who have given me any crap for my car was someone with an IS300 (can you say ricer???) and someone with an Acura Integra. They didn't know what to say when I told them that my car was faster then both of theirs.

2008 Mustang 4.0L V6
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05horse View Post
ford said it their self, right now, v6 is holding better value than GT

what bout those guys buy the shelby GT for 9K more, for 20 HP and a few badges lol
That'll turn around in the long run. It's Shelby parts. Unlike the GT500 which is a pretty big waste of money. Has Shelby's name but no Shelby parts. soon as 2010 GT500 hit the lot, the previous went down considerably.

GT Shelby still there. Shelby parts

As for the v6, probably still get ragged a bit, but anyone doing the ragging better be able to handle seeing you pull on them in a drag and you wave good bye.

I didn't like it but I've always wanted a v8, and the sound. Kind of why the 2010 was fine for me. Sure the speed is great but as long as I have a v8 under the hood, I never head to work w/o a smile.
Apprentice

Supercharger

I'm torn. I want the '11 V6 for the mpg and the decent HP. But the V8 sounds sweet, and in the long run, I can't decide which will be more "classic" - the V6 for the engineering feat or the V8 as a modest engineering feat and the return of the 5.0.

BUT - what I am really considering is saving the money from the difference in price and insurance and adding a super/turbocharger that could feasibly kick the V6 HP up to, or past, the V8 while maintaing the excellent mpg at normal operating conditions.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topnycdog View Post
Just was thinking, Will it be the same once the 2011 V6 comes available. Will people still say why did you buy the V6 mustang, instead of the GT. When the 2011 V6 will be pushing about the same hp as The 05-10 GT. People will still asked Why you buy the V6 ? What do you guys think ?
The Mustang was NOT created as a 'sports car' or a 'muscle car'. Thats NOT it's purpose in life. Sure, there are those who will say something, but I wouldn't let it bother me. They aren't worth talking to anyways. Drive what you like and can afford. I've been tempted to get a 31 mpg, v6 convertable just as a cruiser. Not everyone who drives a Mustang is going to or need to modify it. The Mustang is an American icon no matter what you buy. Some guys with 'crotch rockets' think it's dumb to buy a Harley too. They're all idiots.

2006 GT, FRPP drag pack, FRPP handling pack
2011 GT ordered 1/30, off the truck on 6/21

Black GT - 401a, Black/Cashmere interior
6 spd, spoiler delete, security package
3.73, HID, comfort package
Brembo brake package, Glass top
First mod - CS front fascia
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Airman View Post
People will always bust balls.

Most people love the grabber blue I have, but a lot of young guys, mainly teens and early 20's think it's a chicks color.

I don't care, I dig it. I love it. I didn't but the car to impress other people. Love your V6 Mustang...It's still a pony car!
Seems I have thew Same problem with my Grabber Blue V6, Except they ask why I got a Chick Motor in my Chick Colored car. Then I passed his Early 90's 5.0 GT getting on the freeway
But all in all, I have got a lot more good comments over the bad, and my V6 is getting pretty close to 29 MPG on the freeway, so we can laugh at them at the Gas station (under our breath of course ).

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
PONY Member

When they ask me why I got the V6, I tell 'em that I've been saying for years that when an American car company put over 300hp and 30mpg together I'd buy it. Well they finally did it, so I had to follow thru...

2011 V6 Premium Auto 2.73
1 of 8 2011 Grabber Blue with MCA package and glass roof
Apprentice

I could get a 305 hp convertible for less money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page