Glass Roof = more weight? - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Send a message via AIM to BK2BLKGT Send a message via Yahoo to BK2BLKGT
Glass Roof = more weight?

Does the glass roof option add more weight then the stock roof? I was watching a video on you tube about the new 2011 and they one of the guys was saying he didn't understand why they made a gt500 with the new engine and weight reduction just to counteract it by adding a glass roof.

Cant be much of any weight at all i would imagine over the stock roof of the vehicle..

Barton w/Bracket-Koni Sports w/Steeda Sport springs - Steeda HD mounts - BMR adj PH bar-Whiteline adj LCA's w/brackets - Whiteline front/rear adj sway bars - DSS Carbon driveshaft - Whipple 2.9L w/ JLT Super Big air - JBA Ceramic long tubes w/ O/R x pipe-Magnaflow Competition Catback - RTR's with Conti Extreme Contact DW's 275/40 19 front & Nitto 305 rear - Lund Tuned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010
Apprentice

Thick glass is much heavier than a thin aluminum roof panel. They also have to add more steel to the roof and body structure to replace the cross beams in the glass roof.

2006 Legend Lime GT 5M Premium Convertible. All Motor!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010
PONY Member

Agree. Glass roof is heavier than convertible or coupe.

Larry - SGM (Ret) US Army

2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible
Kona Blue, Stone Leather, Stone Top
6 Speed Auto, 2.73, Comfort Pkg, etc

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

thanks

Thanks for the info, didn't think of it that way but makes sense.

Barton w/Bracket-Koni Sports w/Steeda Sport springs - Steeda HD mounts - BMR adj PH bar-Whiteline adj LCA's w/brackets - Whiteline front/rear adj sway bars - DSS Carbon driveshaft - Whipple 2.9L w/ JLT Super Big air - JBA Ceramic long tubes w/ O/R x pipe-Magnaflow Competition Catback - RTR's with Conti Extreme Contact DW's 275/40 19 front & Nitto 305 rear - Lund Tuned
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010
GT Member
S197 Member

Saw two glassback tops today at car show and both guys really like.

2006 Gt Premium coupe,automatic,white with red Shelby stripes,18 in.wheels,seq lites,plem. cover,Rouse hood scoop and flowmasters,Steeda strut brace,Steeda polished stainless fuse and radiator covers,rear camera(Boyo tag cam)thru Crimestopper rear mirror.Ford molded mud flaps,Silverhorse polished billet fuel door,and chrome console trim.Headlight Splitters.American Muscle Raxiom 2010 taillights.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010
PONY Member

28lbs extra is what I have read. If that is true 28lbs really isn't that much. But, this is the worst place where you would want additional weight.

2004 SVT Cobra- Sold
2005 GT Premium- Sold
1990 GT Hatch- Sold
1989 GT Vert - Sold
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010
PONY Member

I heard less than 30 lbs also, I ordered it. I did go with the brake package and 3.73 gears. I don't think I'll sweat the extra weight. Get it the way YOU want it. Planning serious performance mods? If so, every little bit counts. Otherwise, it's a very nice option!!!

2006 GT, FRPP drag pack, FRPP handling pack
2011 GT ordered 1/30, off the truck on 6/21

Black GT - 401a, Black/Cashmere interior
6 spd, spoiler delete, security package
3.73, HID, comfort package
Brembo brake package, Glass top
First mod - CS front fascia
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Rowdy View Post
I heard less than 30 lbs also, I ordered it. I did go with the brake package and 3.73 gears. I don't think I'll sweat the extra weight. Get it the way YOU want it. Planning serious performance mods? If so, every little bit counts. Otherwise, it's a very nice option!!!
Its not significant enough for me not to want it, I would of done the same thing. Congrats on the new Mustang, wish I had one on order too!

2004 SVT Cobra- Sold
2005 GT Premium- Sold
1990 GT Hatch- Sold
1989 GT Vert - Sold
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

yah

its really appealing to add it, i dont care for a convertible but i also want a sunroof and this is the only option. I do plan on mods once i get the GT500 at the end of the year of course, <30 pounds isn't that much but, ugh this is a tough decision haha..ill prolly do it tho.

PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

just cause we can see thru it dosen't mean its lighter!!! LOLOLOLOL

2010v6, FRPP CAI,93AM RaceTune,Tlok,4:10's. dual aeroforce gauges/SOS pillar gauge pod. custom flamed plenum/shock tower covers.dash & door insert kit. billet grille(black).GT500 spoiler & decklid panel.1/4 window/side scoops.duals w/series 44 flowmasters.roush rear valance POW/MIA & AMERICAN FLAG emblems.( in the works; shelby/paxton cs6/terlingua 375hp intrcld supercharger).
Rookie

seems like it would be annoying to have all the sun shining on you all the time.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sams0n View Post
seems like it would be annoying to have all the sun shining on you all the time.
I wonder if someone will make a perforated vinyl shade like they have for the Corvette. It's a static-cling thing that you can remove for cleaning, shows, or driving in the sun.

Hmmm...I wonder how much bulk static vinyl costs?

2006 Legend Lime GT 5M Premium Convertible. All Motor!
Apprentice

I ordered mine with a glass roof. I am not however a big fan of the sun shade that comes with it. Do you think the interior will fade faster?

2010 Mustang GT, black on black, 19 inch painted wheels, auto, comfort package, rear view camera, glass roof.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

nah

I don't think it will fade faster. You can always tint the glass if your worried about it.

PONY Member
5.0L Member

The interior will be hotter. My gf has the panoramic sunroof on her 06 Cooper.

It is def nice to have. But I am a diehard enhusiast so I chose to forgo the extra weight.

The weight is not so much the issue at 30-50 lbs. It the placement of he weight. The extra lbs sits on the top of center of gravity, vs somewhere lower. Imagine ice skating with an extra 10 lb helmet.

But for everyday driving it will be a cool feature, like a targa Porsche. If you don't like the sunshade, you can also pay to tint the entire glass roof panel slightly darker.

However, if convertibles with wind in hair and your environment engulfing you, the glass top won't come close to a topless feeling. If the glass roof retacted like the Cooper s and Porsche targa, then it's maybe a subsitute for a convertible.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page