1SS vs 5.0 help pls - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

1SS vs 5.0 help pls

I know this is a mustang forum so your opinions might be one sided but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I'm looking at getting a 2011 1SS 6-speed or 2011 5.0 GT Base+Brembo pkg 6-speed.

Have any of you driven the camaros? I havn't sat in one but people complain about the blind spots and how hard it is to see.

I know the engine is bigger but the 5.0 has a beautiful sound to it and it's newer technology than the LS3 right?

I'd love to get the GT Premium for leather but it's just out of my price range.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010
GT Member
Classic Member

I have sat in the camaros and quite frankly its a joke, the blind spots are bigger than the places you can see out of! plus the interior feels like it was made by fisher price, and the shifter is bulky and hard to shift quickly

post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010
GT Member
Classic Member

Plus the mustang is faster

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I definitely don't like the interior of the new camaro's. And why would you put gauges down by/infront of the shifter. So i need to look down at them while driving??? Also they're too heavy/bulky. Stock for stock, the GT will edge it out.

2014 Mustang GT, A6, Grabber Blue
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010
GT Member

I hope you ask this question on a Camaro forum so you can take the biased opinions from each forum and try to make some sense of it. You gotto go and test drive each car and not let others make up your mind. Both cars are expensive so you better buy the one that will make you happy. That being said the new 5.0 is a bit quicker than the new Camaro and handles alot better. Both have good after markets with the Mustang being the aftermarket king. In my opinion you wont go wrong with either car. But the new 5.0 sure is sweet.

2005 Ford Mustang GT Torch Red Manual
Saleen Super Shaker 3.4 pulley/Brenspeed Tune
Kooks Longtubes Catted H/FRPP Stingers
Full BMR And Steeda Suspension
FRPP Throttlebody
Dynotech Driveshaft
SOLD!! I have no Mustang at this time!
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010
PONY Member

I also started out like you did looking at these two cars. This is why I decided on the 2011 GT.
1. Larger feeling interior. The small windshield and rear window make you kind of feel like you are in a spaceship.
2. The clutch on the Camaro was way too tight. It would have made for a rough everyday car.
3. at least the models I was looking at, for the same price, you are getting a faster and better handling car.
4. As mentioned above, the blind spots in that car were HUGE! I had to check for like 5 to 10 seconds to make sure a care wasn't next to me when changing lanes... just to make sure one wasn't "hiding."
5. Ford, as a company, is doing well even in this economy, where as GM... well we all know how they are doing. (can you say Bailout?).
These are just a few reasons that I made my decision. At the end of the day, you are getting this car for you and no one else, so do whatever you feel best in.

2011 premium GT. Sterling Grey metalic with Charcoal interior. Roush Axlebacks. Redline hood struts. Shelby GT500 style rims. Smoked side markers. Comfort package with GT coupe Accessories #5. Don't Judge me for the accessories pack, I'm a recovering Ricer...

Other rides:
2011 Mazda CX-7 Touring Turbo
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010
Apprentice

I have sat in and drove an SS. The gauges were a pain and the interior was god awful (dont get me started on the stereo system set up). The blind spots on that car are the absolute worst I have ever driven. These are the reasons why I did not get one.

Now for the reasons why almost did buy one.
I am one of the few on these boards that loves the looks of the cars exterior, (however, I am one of the few younger members here). It has a lot of power there is no doubt about it and it handles well (though not nearly as well as the mustang in my opinion).

I test drove the camaro first and then a 2010 mustang and after driving the mustang It felt like a no brainer to me. It drove much better was a much more fun car to drive because i wasnt worried to death that i was gonna back into something or merge into someone.
With the 2011 putting out the power it does at a lighter weight than the camaro I just dont see any reason not to go with the Mustang.

2011 Mustang GT Premium
Rapid Spec 401A, Kona Blue, Brembo Package, 3.73 Rear Axle, Electronics package, GT Coupe pckg 5
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

After asking my family they all like the new 5.0 much more. There fans of the new Camaro and love the new styling but for an everyday driver and not being able to see out the windows is a big problem!
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1CK805 View Post
After asking my family they all like the new 5.0 much more. There fans of the new Camaro and love the new styling but for an everyday driver and not being able to see out the windows is a big problem!
And it will be your car, not theirs.

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfrisch View Post
And it will be your car, not theirs.
I don't live with them, so no one will be driving but me! :p

Just like there opinions on cars! My mom loves muscle cars
GT Member
S197 Member

Go drive an automatic ss camaro...... then the Mustang.Without question, you will buy the Ford.

2006 Mustang GT. CDC classic chin spoiler,Off road x stock axlebacks,Tunable Induction CAI,SCTtuner. FRPP 3.73 gear,Rear window louver,Qtr window louvers.Shaker hood, MACH11 shifter.
Best ET to date- 11.89 @ 114 mph on spray,390 rwhp,520 rwtq
No more Nitrous all motor now.Don't ask.
Car is gone,but still a member...and Mustang fan
Apprentice

I didnt have any history with either camaro or mustang, so when looking for my first piece of american muscle I was very open to either option

I had rental mustangs (V6's) many times when travelling, so last time I travelled I paid to upgrade to a camaro for the week. Again it was the v6 model and auto

I thought this was a good way for getting a feel for the car before I made a purchasing decision, even through I was going to go for the V8 versiosn of either.

I really wanted to like the camaro, it was a newer design, more power etc But having driven one for a week I just didnt get on with, my head was touching the roof (car had sunroof), visibility was really bad on the rear 3/4s and when reversing

When people ask me why I went for the mustang I say the following

The mustang is a reasonably sized car, but when you drive it, it sort of shrinks around you, makes you want to drive it and have fun. The camaro is the opposite, when you drive it, it feels bigger than it really is, and I never felt that I wanted to push on it.

I know some people moan about boot size, that wasnt a consideration for me on either

Interior is a very personal choice, I hated those metalic plastic silver door panels on the camaro V6 (dont know if they are on all of them or not), Personally I wasnt to keen on the rest of it either, but that wasnt the key consideration.

It was the way the car felt large and intimdating when driving it that made the decision easy for me, I didnt even bother to drive an SS a V8, just went and bought the mustang

Obviously I'm biased now, but really wasnt then :-)

2010 GT-Grabber Blue-3.73 Diff-19" Wheels- FR CAI and Tune- FR 1.5" Lower Springs-FR Swaybars - GrabberPony Shift Knob - GT 500 rear spolier and valance - Flowmaster mufflers removed - Magnaflow mufflers.
PONY Member
V6 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ChaosFury
Like the other muscle car enthusiasts are saying, I agree 100%.
  • Huge blind spots (no blind spot technology either), interior is lacking quality, gauges are a no-no, no back seat room (my dad had to bend over), the stock exhaust note is really quiet, spacing was too tight, sound system was a joke, it felt like driving a tank!
  • The exterior is nothing to brag about. It just tells clueless drivers "Hey, I'm fat and slow... wanna race?". And for some reason I heard clanky sounds when the salesman started it up.

The power is acceptable, but like I said it's too damn heavy! And the price you are paying for it is another con about the camaro. I do love older camaros, but this new one is just plain horrible!

Oh, and if you want a true answer. Just email Matt Farah from thesmokingtire, he'll explain to you everything we just said. And he's driven 50+ cars already.

Elenora. Watch out, she may kick.

2012 GT Premium: Race red - automatic - 3:31 gears - HID headlights - all weather 19" Pirelli tires - Roush axle-back exhaust, GT/CS Spoiler. Coming soon: quarter panel & rear window louvers
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

How is the sound system (non shaker 500)?
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1CK805 View Post
How is the sound system (non shaker 500)?

The word that comes to mind is "passable". In my base model i absolutely enjoyed the sound of he engine more than the music. In my current car its a 50/50 split.

The new camaro continues to "wow" everyone from wanna be transformer kids through the teenage crowd and even people in their 20's and 30s...that is until you drive one or try to put luggage in its trunk.

Dont get me wrong, i love it for a "toy"...its good looking, fast, and last year was faster (though not this year obviously)..

But at the end of the day, the mustang is both the "drivers car" and the "every day car" while the camaro remains the "toy" that you take out on weekends to impress your friends.

Thats my .2 cents.

So...which type of car do you need? Its all up to you.

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page