2011 Mustang GT vs. 2011 Mustang GT500 - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

It will be close. Stock to stock, I'd say 5.0GT, due to saving $15K+ on a very comparable car. As far as modding, I'll leave it to the mod experts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 Slvr Bullitt View Post
I'd go with the GT500 simply for the fact the uncle is paying for it. Hell if it was my uncle I'd see if I could sweet talk him into getting me a Z06 or Grandsport instead, but that's just me.

However 5.0 GT or 5.4 Shelby GT500 you can't go wrong. Either way you'll be one of the fastest and better looking rides on the road.
Haha well he offered me pretty much any car I want within the 110,000 range, but me being a Mustang guy, there's no other way I'll go!

Joey Payne III, 22 years young.
2003 Cobra: Steggy Stage V S/C(plenum/TB), 2.93 upper, 4lb lower, SRI, 60lb inj, TR6 Plugs, SCT2400 Maf, 2 Focus RS Pumps, LF Heat Excg, Steeda tri ax, MM Coilovers, Billet Flow IRS Brace, Subframe Conn, Magnaflow Catted X/CBE, Fiore Clutch Quadrant/Adjuster, NT555R Radials 515rwhp/520rwtq Tuned by Kevin Hand at Wicked Motorsports
2010 Mazdaspeed3: GTX3076R Turbo, 38MM EWG, Meth injection 400ish whp-stocked out to sell
2002 Electron Blue C5 z06: Stock for now
lug
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payne Racing View Post
Haha well he offered me pretty much any car I want within the 110,000 range, but me being a Mustang guy, there's no other way I'll go!

Well, there is the GT350

Banned

Quote:
Well my uncle has offered to buy me the 2011 GT500. I am hearing however that the new 5.0 is barely slower acceleration and 1/4 mile wise. Therefore, I'm thinking I should just go with the new GT. What are your thoughts?
This isn't rocket science...Obviously The GT500..Not only is your uncle paying for it, but the GT500 will out perform the 5.0,and is better taken to mods and has way more capabilties then the 5.0...not to mention the looks of the SHELBY inside and out are awesome and unique, where as the 5.0 looks are a dime a dozen,if not for the 5.0 badge there would be no difference between the 5.0 and the 10'(boring) IMO....Its a no brainer ....

The only thing attractive about the 5.0 is the price but since that is not a worry for you, you know what to do.....Good Luck in your desicion..
GT Member

Get the GT500. Its just simply a better car. The new 5.0 may be close to previous year GT500's in performance only because the GT500 does not put its power down well. Put slicks on the 5.0 and a 2007 GT500 and the GT500 will beat it very soundly. On the street though the 5.0 will at least let it be a drivers race with an 07 GT500.
Ive yet to see any tests on the 11 GT500 so lets see if it gained any traction on street tires.

2005 Ford Mustang GT Torch Red Manual
Saleen Super Shaker 3.4 pulley/Brenspeed Tune
Kooks Longtubes Catted H/FRPP Stingers
Full BMR And Steeda Suspension
FRPP Throttlebody
Dynotech Driveshaft
SOLD!! I have no Mustang at this time!
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobras55 View Post
This isn't rocket science...Obviously The GT500..Not only is your uncle paying for it, but the GT500 will out perform the 5.0,and is better taken to mods and has way more capabilties then the 5.0...not to mention the looks of the SHELBY inside and out are awesome and unique, where as the 5.0 looks are a dime a dozen,if not for the 5.0 badge there would be no difference between the 5.0 and the 10'(boring) IMO....Its a no brainer ....

The only thing attractive about the 5.0 is the price but since that is not a worry for you, you know what to do.....Good Luck in your desicion..
yes, yes, and yes again. thank yew C55.

2010v6, FRPP CAI,93AM RaceTune,Tlok,4:10's. dual aeroforce gauges/SOS pillar gauge pod. custom flamed plenum/shock tower covers.dash & door insert kit. billet grille(black).GT500 spoiler & decklid panel.1/4 window/side scoops.duals w/series 44 flowmasters.roush rear valance POW/MIA & AMERICAN FLAG emblems.( in the works; shelby/paxton cs6/terlingua 375hp intrcld supercharger).
Rookie

i just went through the same dilemma and chose a 2011 gt500 svt pck. I just think it is way more of a car with higher resale.
Cant wait to pick it up.

GO FOR THE SHELBY!!!!
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by factoryreject View Post
yes, yes, and yes again. thank yew C55.
your always good s**t du,,
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygt500 View Post
i just went through the same dilemma and chose a 2011 gt500 svt pck. I just think it is way more of a car with higher resale.
Cant wait to pick it up.

GO FOR THE SHELBY!!!!
Enjoy that new awesome 11 and share some pictures, ya hear!!!
PONY Member

Quote:
Well my uncle has offered to buy me the 2011 GT500. I am hearing however that the new 5.0 is barely slower acceleration and 1/4 mile wise. Therefore, I'm thinking I should just go with the new GT. What are your thoughts?
I see u are from NJ. Frankly depending on your age your insurance is gonna be INSANE!

If me, I would love my Uncle enough to go for the 5.0 just as nice and way less $!

Order 11/2 * Dora 11/6 * Vin 11/17 * Window Sticker 12/3 * Blend 12/8 * ETA 12/26 * Dealer 12/22 * Delivered 12/28/15

2016 I4 2.3L EcoBoost *Competition Orange * Group 201A * 6-Speed Auto * Security Package * Wheel & Stripe Package * Spare Tire * Park Assist
PONY Member

If you aren't paying for it, get the 500. Otherwise, the 500 is not worth the extra cash. 2012 may be a different story.

2006 GT, FRPP drag pack, FRPP handling pack
2011 GT ordered 1/30, off the truck on 6/21

Black GT - 401a, Black/Cashmere interior
6 spd, spoiler delete, security package
3.73, HID, comfort package
Brembo brake package, Glass top
First mod - CS front fascia
Rookie

Allow me to add something to the mix.

I'm in a similar position in that I can freely chose among both, and I'm having a similar dilemma.

First, there's no "bad" choice. But, they are VERY different choices.

On a "daily driver" basis, the (stock) GT is simply the better car precisely BECAUSE the GT500 is SO performance oriented. Particularly with the SVTPP (which is what REALLY helps to make the GT500 a very different vehicle), the ride is MUCH firmer, bordering on harsh, and NJ winter-potholed roads (I'd never take a GT500 out of the garage between November and March) are nothing to sneeze at. The GT500 is made to be "tighter" to handle all of the additional torque and forces placed upon it.

Also, with a 3.73 Rear Axle, the 5.0 is ALMOST as quick as the GT500 with a 3.55. That's one of the reasons why the SVTPP is SO valuable (and Ford is making a ton of money by making people spend $3,500 on OTHER items just to get it). Add the Brembo brake package, and the 5.0 is an excellent stopper. The differences are really only meaningful on a track and on paper.

In favor of the 5.0 are a lot of things. First, about $15-$20K. Second, the interior is considerably more comfortable. Personally, I LOVE the Red Brick Premium interiror, especially with a white exterior. No go on Shelby for anything but black seats with inserts that match exterior stripes, and a limited palette of odd stripes if you get the SVTPP. You also get a backup camera, less "over the top" growl when other people happen to be in the car, and a front end that can be modded inexpensively to the California Special look or any variation you prefer.

If I wanted the Mustang to be a car I would drive most days, I'd choose the 5.0 hands down. It's 80-90% of the GT500 fun, and a lot of the GT500 fun is knowing that so little can keep up, not that it changes your life. If I wanted a true performance car that I could take to a track, be taught how to drive to its full potential, or wanted a potentially collectible item, the Shelby would be my clear choice. The dilemma, however, is that every mile you enjoy driving is one mile less of value to a collector.

You can upgrade almost everything but a blower in a very similar way to the GT500. I mean, the GT500 uses the GT as its platform. It may be a crystal clear choice for many, but not everyone, and certainly not for me. I have to place my order today, and I STILL haven't decided.

One other HUGE factor that nobody has mentioned are the new CAFE standards that are getting tougher each year through 2016. It's going to affect what's available, and makers are going to have to start limiting production and charging prohibitive pricing for performance vehicles that compromise economy. NOBODY can presume the 5.0 will be as powerful (or even available) in 2016.

As I try to reconcile my final choice, I'm even weighing decisions like whether or not my wife would enjoy driving the Shelby (probably not a much), or the 5.0 (very likely) simply because you have to like the Shelby's "rough and tumble" noises and sensations. And given how beautiful I think the 5.0's white/red combination happens to be, particularly with a billet grille and CS fascia, I KNOW that even behind the wheel of a GT500, if I ever saw a 5.0 in the combination I like, I couldn't help myself from envying the other driver.

And yes, there's the money. Look, I don't know you or your family, but their generosity shouldn't mean you shouldn't show enough consideration to treat their money like it was coming from your wallet. It's just good juju.

Honest to God, 3 hours from the deadline, I don't know what my final decision will be. But I DO know that there are MORE than enough reasons to choose either, even if there are very few reasons to NOT choose the other.

2013 GT500 Coupe • Performance White • Race Red Stripes • SVT Performance Package • SVT Track Package • Glass Roof • Electronics Package • Recaro Seats • Shaker Pro • Car Cover

2013 GT500 Convertible • Performance White • Race Red Stripes • SVT Performance Package • Electronics Package • Recaro Seats • Shaker Pro • Car Cover

2012 BOSS 302 • Race Red • White "C" Stripe • Recaro Seats and Torsen Helical Differential • BOSS 302 Car Cover
GT Member

Good write up Remford.
lug
Apprentice

Let me help. If you don't pick the GT500, I will konk you on the head. Does that help?
GT Member

My Money: I picked the GT.

Uncle's Money: I'd pick the GT500, especially if I'm 19 and not worried about "comfort" in a daily driver.

But if I read correctly and the offer was really $110k worth of car then I gotta think he's pretty dumb for not picking a ZR-1 or an XKR. Keep the current Mustang as a souvenir.

Then again, maybe this was all a test of his common sense and he got an A for not spending all $110k.

2011 401a Brembo Electronics HID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page