No Telescoping Steering Wheel Support Group - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Banned
V6 Member
S197 Member

6'5" here and no major complaints. It would be nice to have the telescoping function but with my long arms, it's not really a big deal. Seat is all the way back, all the way down and a slight angle on the back rest. It would also be nice if the seat would go back a little further to avoid hitting my legs on the wheel... Tall person problems I guess :laughlitt

In the end though, I have been in much worse and don't find the mustang to be uncomfortable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

I'm 6' and on top of that my legs are proportionally a little long. A spacer or some other practical modification would be great. Driving stiff-armed gets old quick.

FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Bronson View Post
I'm 6'1" and I wish my Mustang had a telescoping wheel.

I have my seat as far back as possible, I tilt the entire seat forward a bit but keep the back leaned back like this \_ so I'm not smashing my head on the headliner. This seems to work ok for the most part. But damnit Ford, how else am I supposed to look cool with my gangsta lean?!

I love the seating set up in my girlfriends 2013 Altima. The seat goes back pretty far and the telescoping wheel is perfect. One of the most comfortable seating arrangements in any car I've driven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezfunk View Post
6'4" and agree about the need for telescoping wheel.

As a side note, I recently rented a brand new Focus for work. The wheel was so far away it was driving me nuts. I fumbled around and guess what? The focus has a telescoping wheel! I pulled the damn thing all the way out. I let out an exclamation that earned a quizzical look from my passenger. Then I explained my frustration and my frustration with my Mustang specifically. The stupid Focus has it.
Hi guys,

Thank you for your input! You can always add your 2 cents at Ford Social.

Deysha

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilliams79 View Post
Deal with it you 2-story fruitcakes! That's what you get for making fun of me for not being able to reach things because I'm only 5'-8".

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Now that there is funny!

I do plan on adding the clutch pedal extension at some point to allow the seat to be pushed back a bit. There are days when I like that stock car, close to the steering wheel feel in my stang, but most times, I'd prefer the extra room away from the wheel. My only issue is trying to pry my wallet open to get $50 dollars out of it to buy a stinking piece of plastic that's 3 inches square....lol.

Tim

Mustang base coupe, V6, manual transmission, Red Candy tint, performance package.

Upgrades: DSS aluminum driveshaft, BMR LCA's, Yukon 3.73 gears, MGW shifter.

Displaying 3.7 fender badges is like telling everyone your wife is "office hot."

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim13 View Post
My only issue is trying to pry my wallet open to get $50 dollars out of it to buy a stinking piece of plastic that's 3 inches square....lol.
It is the best $50 you will have ever spent.
freewayflyer likes this.

2012 GT Premium Coupe 6MT
Kona Blue | Black/Grabber Blue
401A | 3.55 | BBP | CP | SP | EP | GR | HID | RVC | RSS | "Piss 5ohwhoa off"
Delivered 07MAR11
Apprentice

I've been looking at this issue as well, as much as I can. Yes, clutch pedal extensions are (IMO) a good choice. I'm 6'2", but my torso is as long as my legs, so it's a little bit odd for me. I also have to lean the seat back some due to previous back issues (upright just plain hurts, and that's no fun).

As for telescoping wheel, I wonder that, since the 2012 Focus seems to share parts with the Mustang up front, I imagine its telescoping column might just work fine. The only issue I can think of would be possibly extending the harness for steering wheel controls and airbag, if it even is a problem. The Focus uses the same column clamp lever in the same position, so it really has me thinking. I might have to tear into the one at my disposal and see how it's put together (that is, if the GF will allow it...she is forgiving sometimes).
Rookie

Problem solved, mustang modified for tall people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM0pO8Psc6A
PONY Member

Garage
I'm 6'2" and I don't have any issues and find my car to be pretty comfortable. My seat is pushed back as far as it will go, no ridiculous lean with the seatback, and I have the steering wheels tilted so I have a very good view of the instrument cluster. My wife on the other hand would probably not be able to drive the car at 5'2". I actually feel bad for her when she is a passenger because she can barely see over the dash and is so tiny that in the curves, she is flung all around in her seat!

2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual
Major Mods:
ProCharger P-1SC-1 Stage II, MGW Race Spec Shifter, Eibach Sportline Springs
Rookie

Hello, I just ran across this forum by accident...I see that a lot of people are having the same problem that I have..I'm 6'4' and really was uncomfortable driving my 2014 v6 Mustang Convertible..My wife and I use it for weekend trips and vactions. I really like the car but, not have a telescoping steering wheel was a problem..I took it on myself to fix the issue..I'm sorry I do not have any pictures while I was doing the extension of my steering wheel...I usually do not participate in forums, there is always someone that has some kind of smart remark...But, I thought I would try to help..You may or may not like the outcome but, I'm really happy. It is so much more comfortable to drive now..And I don't have to give my car to the local Ford dealer to trade for a 2015 that does have a telescoping steering wheel....I purchased two exiting adapters and had to fabricate one to fit the back of the stock wheel. 6-BOLT ADJUSTABLE RACING STEERING WHEEL HUB ADAPTER EXTENDER BLACK - UNIVERSAL 3, MOMO 4538 MOZZI FORD MUSTANG STEERING WHEEL HUB ADAPTER, I also had to extend the wiring harness,,,but, everything is really strong and works properly including all of the buttons....Hopefully you can get some kind of idea from my pictures that are attached...Main thing,,,,,take your time, measure ten times, cut once....It's worth it when you get done.. Again, I'm sorry that I do not have pictures as I done the process..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2393.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	507473   Click image for larger version

Name:	6-BOLT ADJUSTABLE RACING STEERING WHEEL HUB ADAPTER EXTENDER BLACK - UNIVERSAL 3.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	507481   Click image for larger version

Name:	4538 MOMO Ford Steering wheel adapter.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	507489   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2392.jpg
Views:	341
ID:	507497   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2391.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	507505  

Name:	100_1685.jpg
Views:	267
ID:	512442   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0603.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	1,023.9 KB
ID:	512450  

Last edited by Maggie111; 04-19-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Rookie

Thumbs up

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_2393.jpg
Views:	202
ID:	507513   Click image for larger version

Name:	6-BOLT ADJUSTABLE RACING STEERING WHEEL HUB ADAPTER EXTENDER BLACK - UNIVERSAL 3.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	507521   Click image for larger version

Name:	4538 MOMO Ford Steering wheel adapter.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	507529   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1685.jpg
Views:	172
ID:	512434  

Last edited by Maggie111; 04-19-2016 at 11:51 AM.
Rookie

Sorry about the double msg......New at this..
Rookie

If I can help,,,let me know...
Rookie

That's actually pretty cool.

I had something different on mind. Someone could get a '15+ column and adapt it to the their own. I'm 5'10" so this issue doesn't necessarily apply to me, but it would be nice for when my wife wants to drive.

And maybe try these

Sent from my thoughts and such...

'11 Sterling Grey V6 auto
-------------------------------
K&N Air Filter
Airaid Intake Tube
Smoked Pony Badge
Brembo-Track Pack Wheels
Pioneer Door Speakers
Rookie

Thank you so much for the compliment... I too thought about trying to extend the shaft that the steering wheel is mounted to..But, after removing the steering wheel I realized there was much more to it than extending the shaft. I would suggest that you purchase a column with a steering wheel mounted to it out of a wrecked mustang as I did..This will really help coming up with ideas...I spent less than $50 for one and believe me it was worth every penny. This allows you to come up with some ideas and also you don't have to work on the column in your car until you have everything figured out.... You also have the clock spring to worry about if you want your signal lights to turn themselves off when you make a turn. Something that I forgot to mention in my original article. When you extend the steering wheel out 5"s like ( I came up with this number by measuring the seat travel to where my arms are comfortable). You have to address the tilt problem...When extended out that much it puts the wheel much higher up in front of you. Like an old pickup truck..But, this was the easy part, there is a slot that the steering column rides in for up and down movement.. The slot is much longer than Ford is allowing it to go.. There is a (I'm not sure how to put this) Piece of metal with teeth in it that sits in the slot that allows movement...A small amount of grinding on this small piece allows it to drop down so that the steering wheel has more travel...Doing this dropped my steering wheel in my lap about 2 1/2 inches...Works perfectly,,You would never know that anything was done and the tilt still works as it should.. To wind down, I think that there are several different ways to address this problem. But, for the money and the fact that I have limited amount of tools, this worked for me...Although,If you are a machinist or have a friend that is one a really professional job could be done.. This is when it would be nice to be friends with Chip Foose!!! Again, thank you for the compliment. I do appreciate it very much...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page