Any concerns about vert's chassis flex - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Classic Member

Any concerns about vert's chassis flex

Looking at possibly getting a 5.0 in a drop top. I have read that the 2011 has a stiffer chassis then in the past however, have read that there is still far to much body flex or cowl shake and it is not as much fun to drive as the coupe. Can anyone comment on how much you feel the flex during spirited driving. Love the ability to put the top down during those night time curises however, do not want to feel a flexing body during corners. Any thoughts from vert owners?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010
Apprentice

I've had every imaginable kind of convertible since '56, from dune buggies, Cadillacs, numerous Stangs, and a bunch of others. I've always read about the chassis flex and cowl flex, but never had a vert where it concerned me at all. A dune buggy I built was probably near the point of flying apart most of the time, but I didn't notice flex in it any more than I do in my C6 Vette.

I'm sure not worried about it in the '11 GT I have on order.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010
Apprentice
S197 Member

The Steeda 3 pt Frame rail and TQ box brace was specifically designed with the DC2/S197 in mind. It is what you need. Anything else short of a Watts 5-link will not give you the protection against flex that you want. It also reduces unsprung weight for better launches and acceleration out of turns.

2010 Mustang V6 - Hediye
Drivetrain:

Cold air intake, Pypes shorty headers, Pypes axleback exhaust.
Chassis - STEEDA:
Front Arm Relocation, 3-pt Frame Rail and Torque Box brace, strut tower brace, G-trac brace.
Suspension - STEEDA:
STEEDA Sport Springs, lower tie rod kit, Tubular LCAs and UCA, adj. Panhard rod.
Misc.:
SCT 93 Bama tune, Mobil 1 Synthetic 10W30 motor oil, Sony Xplod "1000W" 2x12" subwoofer system, 5% tint on rear three windows, "Mustang" third brake light decal.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hediye View Post
The Steeda 3 pt Frame rail and TQ box brace was specifically designed with the DC2/S197 in mind. It is what you need. Anything else short of a Watts 5-link will not give you the protection against flex that you want. It also reduces unsprung weight for better launches and acceleration out of turns.
The Steeda parts look sweet, but on their website it says they won't fit on a convertible. But maybe they have other parts in their catalog for 'verts, haven't looked all that closely.

AFAIK, all 2011 Mustang convertibles come with at least a strut-tower brace, though. I would imagine this helps.

I don't have as much car experience at PTM333, but I too have driven several different models of convertibles, from rental Sebrings and Mustangs, to a Saab and a couple different BMWs I've owned. I never felt chassis flex to be a huge issue.

Perhaps professional car guys who are much more attuned to these sorts of things can notice differences more easily. Or maybe if you immediately jump back and forth between a fixed top car and a convertible version, you notice. But on an absolute basis, I haven't found it bothersome.

At any rate, for me, the ability to put the top down and fully enjoy the sun or the stars, more than makes up for any small differences in chassis rigidity!

Last edited by DawgPny; 06-03-2010 at 11:39 PM. Reason: to make edits
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010
Apprentice

The only time I've ever noticed "cowl shake" was going over a road that looked like an Olympics moguls course. Yes, convertibles are heavier than coupes and don't handle as well at the limit. Are you going to notice the difference between a coupe and 'vert in daily spirited driving? Probably not as much as an IRS-equipped car (Camaro, Challenger, Explorer, Expedition) versus a live-axle equipped Mustang.

2006 Legend Lime GT 5M Premium Convertible. All Motor!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010
GT Member

I have an '06 and it is fine. The flex is minimal and better than any other convertible I've driven. I intentionally bought a V-6 Convertible, as I have a GT Coupe. I like the convertible for cruising, not tearing up the track. I'll for leave that for the GT.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Classic Member

Thanks for the feedback

Thanks, I wanted to hear from folks who have driven the vert for awhile and have the knowledge to compare. Given that the vert is less then 100 pounds of the coupe, I don't feel that weight is a big issue. If I could stiffen up the chassis a bit with aftermarket then that would be great. I know that I will not be doing much autoX in a drop top but want spirited drives without being disappointed. Read where the drop top can do .88 on the skid where the coupe did .94 however, the coupe had the sticky tires with the Brembo so that will account for much of the difference. I would imagine that someone makes frame stiffeners for the drop top. Will check with Steeda. A while back was thinking about a mid 50's Chevy or a first gen Mustang and there is a whole bunch on the market to make them handle like or better then the new Mustang coupe. I can't believe that there is not something on the market to significantly improve the verts' handling. However, like the frame mods on the earlier cars, it could be very spendy. Would like to hear from others who have had verts and like to drive or have found solutions to the verts chassis. Perhaps, I will rent a 2011 vert for the weekend to see how much flex is there. Thanks again.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010
lug
Apprentice

The Vert weighs in at 3720 vs. 3605 for the base coupe. They did a great job because going vert usually means adding about 200 lbs. on cars not designed as verts in the first place.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010
Apprentice
S197 Member

I test drove a 2011 GT vert with the brembo package and I must say it was not nearly as solid as my 2001 or 2005 Honda S2000s that I used to own. I only put 6 miles on it so I did not get to drive it on that many road surfaces.

It was better than my BILs 2003 Thunderbird though. But unless you are canyon carving everyday I think the vert is the way to go. If not for my ******* neighbor that has 9 bird feeders I would have ordered a vert. I almost bought the one I test drove but I decided I could not deal with bird crap on the nice cloth top everyday.
MAK
Apprentice

I have an 5.0 vert with Brembos.

It handles really nice!

I have about 600 miles on so far. Love driving twisty roads and I am happy.

My 330 BMW drivin brother was very impressed. He knows I would beat him on just about any road. So was my girl friends 40 year GP motorcylce racing father. He said very few cars have impressed him but this one did. I didn't think he would take corners as fast as he did but he felt very comfortable.He was told to keep it under 5,000 RPM. I think he also liked the wind in his hair and the sound of the car. We both laughed when I said he didn't even get the tires churping. It was fast.

I plan on lowering the car also which will make it even better.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Classic Member

Again, thanks and appreciate the additional comments. This helps my decision and will give me background when I rent one to test. The rental will most likely be a V-6 and most likely will not be Brembo equipted but hopefully will give me an idea of its' ability. Interesting how it compared to the BMW. MAK, thanks. I will order a Brembo package as well and also plan to lower. If you do lower, please post a topic about lowering a vert so others can benefit from it. Will be interesting to see just how much it helps.

Chuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page