Winter tires or second car for winter driving? - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Winter tires or second car for winter driving?

I'm buying a 2011 Mustang GT this summer, and will be moving to Maryland in October. I have driven in the snow before without much difficulty, and have 20 years of driving experience, so am very experienced behind the wheel. I was wondering what everyone's feeling are about winter driving in a Mustang. I'm debating on whether I should buy winter tires or just getting a second car for around $2,000 and put the 'Stang in storage when the white stuff starts falling. As my Mustang will be coming with "summer only" tires, I know that I will need to buy new tires if I decide to drive my Mustang during the winter. The benefits of getting winter tires would be that I can drive my car all year long, save money on the insurance for a second car, and possibly keep the resale value of the car higher. The downside would be the salt and possibility of being rear-ended by another driver. What do you think?

2011 Mustang GT premium, Kona Blue, black over the top stipe, 6-spd manual, 3:73 gears, Brembo Brake Package, Comfort Package, Electronics Package, Coupe Package #5, Steeda CAI w/ Brenspeed tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Where are you moving to in MD? Depending on where you are, you really don't have to worry too much about snow, and it'll probably be more cost effective to just get the tires. This past winter was a freak event, and probably won't ever happen again lol.

1994 Mustang GT
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Depends on how deep the snow is.
I replaced my tires to the Eagle All Season's and they are much better in the snow than the originals.
A bit of weight in the trunk helps.
I do not venture out if the snow is over 6" though.

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010
PONY Member

I just got a really cheap Jeep for this exact same reason. I spent 2500 and got something with 4 wheel drive so I can fight the Ice and snow and not put my Stang at risk.

2011 premium GT. Sterling Grey metalic with Charcoal interior. Roush Axlebacks. Redline hood struts. Shelby GT500 style rims. Smoked side markers. Comfort package with GT coupe Accessories #5. Don't Judge me for the accessories pack, I'm a recovering Ricer...

Other rides:
2011 Mazda CX-7 Touring Turbo
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010
PONY Member

In western NY you don't see Mustangs in the winter too much, but Maryland gets a lot less bad weather than here. I will be driving the G35x with winter tires. If you do snow tires on the new Mustang, you'll be replacing them every year when you burn them off.

Great choice on options and color with stripe on the GT. If money were no issue, I would have done the same.

Received 7/2/10: 11' GT base with 3.73,
Installed: Steeda CAI, SCT, Steeda tune, GT500 axlebacks, SVT leather wheel, Infinity Kappas, Boston amp, Bazooka powered sub, yellow fog light bulbs, dark front corner lights, GT500 splash guards, tint, SVE Drift matte 18"x9" wheels with 265/40s and SVE 1" drop springs, Koni Yellow, HP+ pads, brake duct coolers with CS front lower and splitter
Bought and soon to be installed: Edelbrock E-force stage 2
Stable: 14 SHO, 10 Road Glide
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010
Apprentice

I live in Colorado and my plan is to buy snow tires and a set of wheels, so I can replace them at home when needed.
A beater is another option, but we already have a SUV (my wife's drive) and my daily drive to work is a short non-highway one, so I rather drive the Mustang that some junk car, winter is long here...
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimpickenz View Post
I'm buying a 2011 Mustang GT this summer, and will be moving to Maryland in October. I have driven in the snow before without much difficulty, and have 20 years of driving experience, so am very experienced behind the wheel. I was wondering what everyone's feeling are about winter driving in a Mustang. I'm debating on whether I should buy winter tires or just getting a second car for around $2,000 and put the 'Stang in storage when the white stuff starts falling. As my Mustang will be coming with "summer only" tires, I know that I will need to buy new tires if I decide to drive my Mustang during the winter. The benefits of getting winter tires would be that I can drive my car all year long, save money on the insurance for a second car, and possibly keep the resale value of the car higher. The downside would be the salt and possibility of being rear-ended by another driver. What do you think?

Thanks for posting this question. I am in New Jersey and had the same concerns.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010
MACH I Member
S197 Member

I use the 4x4 Ranger for the Winter, great for doing some of the hauling of parts also. Ext cab so I can carry survival gear in back when the weather gets bad.
Dave

2015 Stage 3 Roush
'66' Ranchero w/almost done 302 T-5 swap
2000 4x4 Ranger
2003 4x2 Ranger
'69' Fairlane Cobra, 428 4-speed waiting for work
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010
Registered

When I had my 2008 convertible,it went nowhere when it snowed. When I do this again,I will make sure that I have a 2nd car to drive in the winter. Not worth taking the chance of wrecking your car or even someone else running into you.
PONY Member

Move south or get a second car. If you have the summer tires (Brembo ackage for instance), it's almost a no brainer.

2006 GT, FRPP drag pack, FRPP handling pack
2011 GT ordered 1/30, off the truck on 6/21

Black GT - 401a, Black/Cashmere interior
6 spd, spoiler delete, security package
3.73, HID, comfort package
Brembo brake package, Glass top
First mod - CS front fascia
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks for the responses. I'll be living between Baltimore and DC. I don't know how much it snows there, so maybe I can get away with just replacing the summer only tires with all weather or snow tires for the winter. I really want to be able to drive my car year round, but do not want to take any chances of her getting hurt or salt doing any damage. Anyone know the area up there well enough to say if I can get by with that. It'd really be a hit to the morale if I have to put her up in storage for the winter.

2011 Mustang GT premium, Kona Blue, black over the top stipe, 6-spd manual, 3:73 gears, Brembo Brake Package, Comfort Package, Electronics Package, Coupe Package #5, Steeda CAI w/ Brenspeed tune
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnamover View Post

Great choice on options and color with stripe on the GT. If money were no issue, I would have done the same.
Thanks Magnamover, I didn't want to look back after I got it and say "I wish I would have gotten that option." :shiny:

Apprentice

I live in western NY and I just bought myself a winter car, my last car i had (Audi TT roadster) before i ordered my mustang was destroyed by this last winter. Sports cars plus the deep snow plus the salt plus the really cold weather just dont mix well. At least around here the salt alone will show wear and tear on a car within only a couple of winters

2011 Mustang GT Premium
Rapid Spec 401A, Kona Blue, Brembo Package, 3.73 Rear Axle, Electronics package, GT Coupe pckg 5
GT Member

Salt is nasty and should be outlawed but isn't

I had two 05 Mustangs. Drove both in the winter in Western New York State. They both have bubbling and peeling paint under the lips of both the hood and trunklid from just two winters in the salt. All the aluminum parts under the hood look like crap now, and there's even rust on the metal base of the seat frames, etc.

I have moved finally to get the **** out of the salt...forever I hope.

One of my cars was a V-6 coupe with auto trans and antilock brakes. I put four takeoff bullitt wheels and four new Michelin X-ice snow tires on it. That car was so much fun to drive in the winter that I looked for excuses to take short road trips EVERY weekend all one winter. I was just amazed by it's performance in the snow. Floor it, spin the tires briefly and trac control takes over. Slam on the brakes at the last minute and antilock takes over. Saves a lot of driver error. Wanna be a child and purposefully do donuts in the snow...then turn off the traction control.

If you pay cash for the new car, you aren't then required to have full insurance while it is off the road. You just need comprehensive while it is in storage and you turn in the plates for the winter. Saves money. Ask your insurance company..if you have a loan on the car...maybe there is a compromise option if plates are removed and car is in storage. If you have no place to store it in the city, then rent barn space in the country. I pay $150. a year for barn storage for one car.

Buy something like my 05 Mustang as a winter car. I've found that a used car 8 to 10 years old is just too old as a winter car...at least in the heavy salt country. They eat you up in repair costs for all the stuff that rusts out UNDERNEATH the car...stuff attached to the bottom of the car. Maybe you could find a southern used car which does not already have lots of rust...that would be better.

If you have the option to take public transportation or get a ride to work on days in which there is snow (and several days thereafter), then that would be the cheapest thing to do.

Hopefully, and eventually, the governments will see that salt just causes more problems with our lives. What should be done is to stop putting salt on the streets, require snow tires, and teach people to drive with more extensive driving classes.
PONY Member
S197 Member

I don't know about all areas, but around here they pre-treat the roads with liquid calcium chloride before the snow arrives then when the snow hits they use a salt/chat mixture for melting and traction and this combo is pure hell on a vehicle I always keep an old beater explorer or pickup and to me it's well worth it you don't have to worry about rust, accidents, aluminum wheel pitting,chipped paint, cracked windshields etc. if it were me I'd leave the stang parked and get a beater or in your case, in a metro area , maybe ride the bus...besides five years down the road your car will look much better and probably have a better resale value....just my 2 cents worth

Grabber Blue 2011 GT Premium: 6spd MT, 3.73's, Brembo pkg., accessory pkg. 5, OTT Black Stripe
Steeda CAI, Magnaflow 3" competetion series exhaust, Magnaflow Tru-X pipe, BBR 93 oct tune, BBR LCA's, Barton Industries Shifter & Bracket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
second car , storage , tires , winter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page