Resale value... - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Resale value...

Not that I would ever sell a car that I don't have yet, LOL! But I was telling a friend of mine who knows cars pretty well and he said the one postive of buying a mustang over other cars is that they have always had strong resale value as long as the car is taken care of.

Does anyone agree with this statement regarding the reasle value?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Down View Post
Not that I would ever sell a car that I don't have yet, LOL! But I was telling a friend of mine who knows cars pretty well and he said the one postive of buying a mustang over other cars is that they have always had strong resale value as long as the car is taken care of.

Does anyone agree with this statement regarding the reasle value?

Thanks
V8's hold their value better than the V6's but the V6's may start to become much better long-term values if gas prices continue to climb. Many 2005-2006 Mustangs sell for $15k or more. Pretty darn good when you consider their original price. In contrast, many other Fords depreciate like Niagra Falls.

On the other hand, if resale value is important, buy a Honda. :p

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Down View Post
Not that I would ever sell a car that I don't have yet, LOL! But I was telling a friend of mine who knows cars pretty well and he said the one positive of buying a mustang over other cars is that they have always had strong resale value as long as the car is taken care of.

Does anyone agree with this statement regarding the resale value?

Thanks
I can't personally speak from experience, but I would think that the GT and GT500's would have the strongest resale value. The V6 on the other hand is at numerous rental companies which should bring it's value down a bit. The only other thing is that the Mustang's in general are a very common car, which to me is a double edge sword on value since one they're obviously a very popular and desirable car, but also every body from ages 16 to 80 years old has one.

2011 Mustang 5.0 - GT Premium / Black on Black / 6 MT / 3.73 / Elec Pkg / HID / Security Pkg
Mods: Airaid CAI, Bama "93" tune, Flomaster Hushpower AxleBack, Barton Short Throw

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010
Apprentice

Car values can change quite a bit throughout the year, but the Mustang does seem to hold it's value. Overall, I would consider the Mustang to be above average in terms of resale value.

High demand +, great reliabilty +, huge supply -, economy -

GRH Performance (Owner/Operator) RESTORE and MODIFY

10% off to all forum members
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010
PONY Member

I've done a lot of research on this and the GT holds it's it's value better than most would expect. I know someone who has an M3 and that's what prompted us to see what the reality is.

Found 1,247 2006 GTs with average price of 20,003 (base 29,675), found 147 2006 M3s (base 56,600), average price 34,384. I'd say the stang wins that hands down.

Average price of 2001 GT was 10,281 and the 2001 M3 was 13,995.

We also checked GT500s, and if a person paid over sticker, there may an issue. The average price for a 2008 GT500 is 42,700 and I know someone that paid 65k. Of course, more time needs to pass before any judgement can be made.

2006 GT, FRPP drag pack, FRPP handling pack
2011 GT ordered 1/30, off the truck on 6/21

Black GT - 401a, Black/Cashmere interior
6 spd, spoiler delete, security package
3.73, HID, comfort package
Brembo brake package, Glass top
First mod - CS front fascia
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010
PONY Member

Of course the dealers tell you to order the premium interior for better resale value.(they make more money). I believe a base GT will retain more value percentage wise than a $35k -40k premium loaded GT.

Received 7/2/10: 11' GT base with 3.73,
Installed: Steeda CAI, SCT, Steeda tune, GT500 axlebacks, SVT leather wheel, Infinity Kappas, Boston amp, Bazooka powered sub, yellow fog light bulbs, dark front corner lights, GT500 splash guards, tint, SVE Drift matte 18"x9" wheels with 265/40s and SVE 1" drop springs, Koni Yellow, HP+ pads, brake duct coolers with CS front lower and splitter
Bought and soon to be installed: Edelbrock E-force stage 2
Stable: 14 SHO, 10 Road Glide
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010
GT Member

Cars are a money pit just like large sailboats. It is a one in a million chance to ever make money on a car...and that would take 30 to 40 years of climate controlled storage.

I have an 05 GT. MSRP was $29,000. Current Value $13,000.

I have owned over 55 cars in my life time. If I had owned more like 4 or 5 cars instead (all that I really needed) , I'd have money to spend now to supplement my Social Security. I don't have that money and need a job now.

Example of money lost: I bought used an 05 V-6 coupe auto trans...two years old. MSRP was over $23,000. I paid $15,000 for it used two years old. I drove it for a year. Tried to sell it in a bad economy. It took me 18 months to get it sold. Finally sold it wholesale for $9500...a great, no problems, low mileage car, in a popular color.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010
GT Member

Here's my plan IF I were to buy a 2011 GT.

Buy the base model with man trans, Brembo package, 3.73 gears...no other options. The cheapest way to start and to retain as much money as I can. I would then buy takeoff leather and install it myself...as I like leather and it can no longer be bought a la carte.

A much smarter option would be to buy a 2011 GT used, when they are about two years old.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s197gt View Post
Cars are a money pit just like large sailboats. It is a one in a million chance to ever make money on a car...and that would take 30 to 40 years of climate controlled storage.

I have an 05 GT. MSRP was $29,000. Current Value $13,000.

I have owned over 55 cars in my life time. If I had owned more like 4 or 5 cars instead (all that I really needed) , I'd have money to spend now to supplement my Social Security. I don't have that money and need a job now.

Example of money lost: I bought used an 05 V-6 coupe auto trans...two years old. MSRP was over $23,000. I paid $15,000 for it used two years old. I drove it for a year. Tried to sell it in a bad economy. It took me 18 months to get it sold. Finally sold it wholesale for $9500...a great, no problems, low mileage car, in a popular color.
I don't think he was wanting to make money, those cars are few and far between. Plus, you have to keep them 4ever. 13k is a little low for a 2005, people will pay more. I have a 2006 GT that has been modified using nothing but Ford Racing products, I have about $3500 in mods and it's well documented. I've been offered 22k cash for my car and someone else wanted to trade me a 2001 Wrangler (looking for one) and 12k. Options and mods can and do matter when it comes to resale. For some reason, it doesn't hurt that I refuse to sell it.

2006 GT, FRPP drag pack, FRPP handling pack
2011 GT ordered 1/30, off the truck on 6/21

Black GT - 401a, Black/Cashmere interior
6 spd, spoiler delete, security package
3.73, HID, comfort package
Brembo brake package, Glass top
First mod - CS front fascia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page