2011 Mustang test drives - humble opinion - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

The 2.73 gears in the auto 3.7 are 4th 1.143 5th .0867 6th .0691. There two overdrives, at 70mph
the RPM in 6th is about 1800, as you press down on the gas it will down shift to 5th, RPM now is about 2150. Now keep pushing down on the gas it will down shift, oops now I am at 90MPH to 100 MPH. You will have little or no hesitation this way, or floor it and you will get hesitation.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Or, you can just get a manual transmission and drop into 4th and go. Two sequential downshifts from the auto trans will still be slower and more delayed than just putting it in gear and punching it.

2008 Mustang GT Deluxe, Black, Manual Transmission, Black Cloth Interior
Show: Katzkin Leather Interior, Matte Black 10" Stripes, NXT Step Performance Axlebacks, Pypes M80 Mufflers (mid mounted), CDC Sequential Tail Lights, 14" Shorty Antenna, Ford OEM Plenum Cover, Ford Semigloss Black Painted Valve Covers, Leather Wrapped OEM Steering Wheel
Go: Airaid Race CAI, BAMA Tune, J&M Lower Control Arms, JLT Oil Separator
Coming Soon: Motive 4.10 gears
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Just wanted to add my agreement on the sluggish automatic. I test drove one in a convertible and was dissapointed.

Other than completely flooring it, it was very slow to downshift. I did not see a sport setting to turn the sensitivity on it up anywhere either.

My wife's 2008 Subaru Outback has a sport setting for crying out loud...AND speedshift. If a 20K Subaru has it, a 35K Mustang should also...in my opinion of course.

Current Ride: 2014 RAM 1500 SPORT
Toy: 89 RX7-Turbo (Future LS Swap)

PONY Member

Wrong the auto would pull you. The 2011 stick has one overdrive. In 6th gear you would be about 1800 RPM, 4th gear 3000RPM. The auto did 6th 5th 3rd.
If you down shift to third your RPM about 4000 you will pull the auto. Of course I would pop the drive wire to get RPM up as I down shift a stick.
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I ONLY have a 2010 but i can BLOW past 99% of cars going above 70mph with a shift to 4th only.

If they are driving 65 or below....3rd gear works if i REALLY need to push myself back in the seat.

Maybe the the 3.73s, maybe the taller gears with a 5 speed, not sure.

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
PONY Member

Apples to apples not 2011 2.73 rear 6 speed, to 2010 3.73 5 speed. The new 6 speed use top gears to save gas. The 3.7 pulls strong starting around 4000 RPM, that's third gear in 2011. If you down shift to 4th in 2011 that will give you 3000
RPM. The red line for the 2011 3.7 is 6850, not the same 2010. No doubt you do well with 2010 with 5 speed and 3.73 down shifting to 4th.
GT Member

Agreed Allentown. If the six speed auto shifts anything like the F-150 six speed auto, it is not sport oriented at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page