2011 Mustang test drives - humble opinion - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

2011 Mustang test drives - humble opinion

Hi,

I like others have been trying to decide what to order. The following are my personal opinions only... with the wife along for validation

2011 V6 automatic, disappointed in the hesitation when the accelerator is pressed to the floor, especially a highway speeds. Made me feel unsure about when the acceleration would start.
2011 V8 automatic, still some noticeable hesitation but a lot better than the V6.
2011 V8 manual with 3.31 axle, nice acceleration from stop but in 6th at highway speeds felt like I would need to downshift to pass a vehicle comfortably or climb a hill with cruise set
2011 V8 manual with 3.73 axle, better acceleration and at highway speeds in 6th felt like it would comfortably pass a vehicle or climb a hill with cruise set.

Surprisingly the wife concurred on findings.:yelpleased:

Final question to be decided... to Brembo on not to Brembo.

Regards,
EddieZ
Austin, Tx

2011 GT Premium 401A, 6 Speed Manual, Performance White, Brick Red w/Cashmere, Electronics Package, Security Package, 3.73 Axle, HID Headlamps
Comfort Package, Brembo Brake Package, Rear Video Camera
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010
Apprentice

By hesitation you mean the auto-downshift into a lower gear...?

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010
GT Member

Thanks for the info.

What kind of dealer do you go to where they let you drive four cars ?
My experience has always been that dealers don't let a person drive more than about two miles, and usually in city traffic.
If I want a test drive, I have to BUY the car lst !

You are either lucky or persistent.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

yes, that could be. It was more noticeable than on wife's '09 honda pilot. Once they down-shifted great acceleration. As you would expect, better than the pilot.

EddieZ
Austin, Tx

2011 GT Premium 401A, 6 Speed Manual, Performance White, Brick Red w/Cashmere, Electronics Package, Security Package, 3.73 Axle, HID Headlamps
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010
Rookie

If you like a "spirited" drive once in a while, a MUST would be the Brembo package (wider tires, electronically tuned suspension, 6-spd manual) and 3.73 rear end. Any other options, IMO, are just personal preference, frosting on the cake, so to speak.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

It was different dealers. I informed each what I was doing and why. They will each get the opportunity to sell me the car (order) with the options I choose. Each had a different car available for test. Wife and I just made a "day trip" of checking them out after we called to see what was available to test.

EddieZ
Austin, TX

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010
Banned
4.6L Member

Personally I enjoy downshifting to blow by some peasant in a mini van...I don't think any automatic car anywhere has instantaneous downshifting esp at cruising speeds...well Motortrend was commenting the new paddle shifters on the new LS460 were the best they've seen but that is a $75000 car.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccbusa09 View Post
If you like a "spirited" drive once in a while, a MUST would be the Brembo package (wider tires, electronically tuned suspension, 6-spd manual) and 3.73 rear end. Any other options, IMO, are just personal preference, frosting on the cake, so to speak.
What do they mean by "unique electronically tuned suspension" anyway? How is it different than the stock exactly? Is this actual hardware they add to the suspension system?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010
PONY Member

The gears in the auto 3.7 are 4th 1.143 5th .0867
6th .0691. Press the drive by wire, the auto will down shift, keeping pressing the drive by wire down and the auto will down shift again. This is much faster than to the floor. After second down shift floor it.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler View Post
What do they mean by "unique electronically tuned suspension" anyway? How is it different than the stock exactly? Is this actual hardware they add to the suspension system?
Ford mentions Unique Electronic Stability Control tuning with the Bremco package. The suspension should be the same.
No spare tire though.

2011 Mustang GT
Performance White / Brick Red / Manual / 3.55
MACH I Member
S197 Member

I don't know what the Brembro package costs but they say it stops about 10-15 feet quicker from 60mph. Can't ever remember having to do that. What is that, about .15 sec in stopping distance? If you drive hard, agressive into corners and such, go for the big brakes. Not sure it's worth it for a DD
Dave

2015 Stage 3 Roush
'66' Ranchero w/almost done 302 T-5 swap
2000 4x4 Ranger
2003 4x2 Ranger
'69' Fairlane Cobra, 428 4-speed waiting for work
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnold66 View Post
The gears in the auto 3.7 are 4th 1.143 5th .0867
6th .0691. Press the drive by wire, the auto will down shift, keeping pressing the drive by wire down and the auto will down shift again. This is much faster than to the floor. After second down shift floor it.
Sorry I might be dumb but what does this mean, "Press the drive by wire"?
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch360 View Post
Sorry I might be dumb but what does this mean, "Press the drive by wire"?
Modern cars have no physical connection between gas pedal and throttle body/carburetor. Now, when you press the pedal, a signal is sent to a computer and the computer opens the throttle for you.

2011 5.0 Race Red w/ Black Racing Stripes - Roush axle backs - Roush billet shift knob
PONY Member

Your not dumb, almost all new cars are drive by wire, when you press down on the gas you are telling a computer you need more or less gas. On the new Auto Mustang, when you take you foot off the gas, the computer stops all gas to your engine.
Rookie

so how do you force it to downshift quickly when you want to pass?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page