Driving a GT in winter....Crazy or OK? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss ZHO View Post
...Please tell me the new cars don't rust and can handle. Please!
we can tell you it but it wont be true.
All I can say is I cant speak for other areas and what salt is used but the stuff they use in chautauqua county and western NY is terrible on paint.

The "all weather" tires will be useless in the snow and you will only be asking for an accident

i know its a rough thing to swollow i really didnt want to have an extra car payment or extra car on my insurance but thats the price ya pay for owning a sports car in the north.

2011 Mustang GT Premium
Rapid Spec 401A, Kona Blue, Brembo Package, 3.73 Rear Axle, Electronics package, GT Coupe pckg 5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rookie
S197 Member

Quote:
Well, I am going to be purchasing a 5.0 within next two weeks. I plan on driving this car all year long (even in Michigan winters).

Anyone out there have experience driving in snow with the 19" all season tires? How is it?

I specifically will not get the Brembo brake package because they are summer tires. (+ I hear the car stops good without them too).
I live in NY and I have 19s with all season tires on my Audi(Daily Driver). Honestly, it does get a little nervous when it snows in excess of 4 inches with ice, even with the quattro. I would not recommend 19s for snow winter driving..especially with rear wheel drive.

Rookie

All season tires are no good in the snow. Snow tires are essential!

However, I've driven my Neon through 7 winters and it hasn't rusted or peeled at all...and there's not many places as snowy as Bruce County, Ontario!

Apprentice

Have driven my Black 06 GT through 4 winters - in Ohio Crawled right through it. Only problem has been getting up my driveway, if not shoveled. I've got it looking like I just drove it off the dealership floor. Just hose off the underside at the manual carwash when possible. I've got 33,000 on the original tires.
PONY Member
V6 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ChaosFury
Rear wheel drive + 435hp + no grip tires + ice =

Elenora. Watch out, she may kick.

2012 GT Premium: Race red - automatic - 3:31 gears - HID headlights - all weather 19" Pirelli tires - Roush axle-back exhaust, GT/CS Spoiler. Coming soon: quarter panel & rear window louvers
Rookie

I also have 97 Camaro and 08 Mustang right now I don't recommend driving eather one in snow they both suck I drove 08 once in snow it sucked, but used to have 95 gt daily driver and did two 50lbs sand bags trick it helped a little but not worth it and no it did not rust it was kept outside to.
PONY Member

Get a winter tire/wheel pkg at the minimum. Something like a 235/55-17 to get some sidewall height. Limiting factor is ground clearance over the plow-mounds of snow.

In New England, lots of folks used to drive beater full-sized RWD Caprices, Crown Vics etc. with not too many problems as their "salter".

For me, I'd get a junky little front-driver for the bad days, and save the "Stang for the nicer winter days when the roads clear and dry out a bit.

Winter / Snow Tires

2011 Kona Blue/Charcoal GT, 400A Premium,6sp MT, HID's, Security Package, Comfort Package, 3.73's, Koni SRT/SteedaSports+Panhard, GT500 Mufflers
'06 Mazda Tribute,'05 Honda ST1300
'03 Yamaha FZ1000 '98 '00 '02 '04 Ford Expedition
'93 Buick Regal '90 Ford Explorer '87 F-250HD Diesel
'85 Yamaha FJ1100 '83 Honda NightHawk 650
'80 Olds Cutlass '70 Ford LTD
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsewhipped View Post
Have driven my Black 06 GT through 4 winters - in Ohio Crawled right through it. Only problem has been getting up my driveway, if not shoveled. I've got it looking like I just drove it off the dealership floor. Just hose off the underside at the manual carwash when possible. I've got 33,000 on the original tires.
Who hooo....I only needed 1 person to say they did it!!! :kooky:

Now I shall give it a try.

10 people say it cant/shouldn't be done....1 says it can. Who do I listen to? I feel like a child....lol. Hope no one tells me to try the summer tires in the snow.

I was most nervous about the rust. I know the cars of old would potentially rust terribly, but the cars I have bought since the late 90s have not had rust issues. They were all GM cars, but I figure Ford shouldnt be much different.

I am hoping the Fords AdvanceTrac will help in the snow. At any rate, I will post my driving experiment this winter (Assuming I can get out of the sub division).
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew2000 View Post
Get a winter tire/wheel pkg at the minimum. Something like a 235/55-17 to get some sidewall height. Limiting factor is ground clearance over the plow-mounds of snow.

In New England, lots of folks used to drive beater full-sized RWD Caprices, Crown Vics etc. with not too many problems as their "salter".

For me, I'd get a junky little front-driver for the bad days, and save the "Stang for the nicer winter days when the roads clear and dry out a bit.

Winter / Snow Tires
Great point on the tires. Are there any clearance issues with the brakes with 17" rims on the GT?
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor50 View Post
I also have 97 Camaro and 08 Mustang right now I don't recommend driving eather one in snow they both suck I drove 08 once in snow it sucked, but used to have 95 gt daily driver and did two 50lbs sand bags trick it helped a little but not worth it and no it did not rust it was kept outside to.
Ya, my 99 isnt great at all.....OK it can suck (esp with no traction control), but it is usually doable assuming there isnt tons of snow. When the city does its job and clears the snow, I have not had problems. Just have to drive carefully.

The Mustang has to be better with the traction control. I will probably just get snow tires for winter.
Apprentice

I have an 05GT w/ 18in wheels & Pirelli all-season tires. I drive it through the winter as it's my only car. All I do is throw a couple 50lb bags in the trunk. Sure its not going to handle like a FWD or AWD car, but it can be done without too much effort. There is no way I would pay for another car/insurance/maintenance for a few bad days out of the year. And nothing is rusting out either!

I will say if you get the 19's some cheap steal rims and snow tires may be a good idea. Thinking about doing that myself w/ the 2011.

Scott

Currently: 2011 Mustang GT - Red Candy Metallic, 6AT, Premium Pkg
MODS: C&L CAI, custom dyno tune, Boss IM, UMI stb, J&M LCA's, Boss front facia, SHR louvers, GT500 rear diffuser, GT500 splash guards, JBA headers, catted x-pipe, Roush axlebacks, soundtube delete 386 rwhp / 368 rwtq (4th gear), 1/4mi 12.52 @ 115.3 w/ 2.00 60'

Sold: 2011 V6 MT - 1/4mi 14.28 @ 101.1 w/ 2.3 60'
Sold: 2005 GT 5AT. Steeda CAI, BBK headers, Bassani o/r x, JBA axlebacks, 280 rwhp / 300 rwtq, 1/4 mi 13.43 w/ 2.1 60'
PONY Member

Quote:
Great point on the tires. Are there any clearance issues with the brakes with 17" rims on the GT?
Definitely issues w/ the Brembo's (even w/ most 18" and 19" wheels)....the base V6 Stang comes with 17" wheels, but now that I think, the rotors may be a bit smaller....so might play it safe with 18" wheels and 235/50-18 snows.

2011 Kona Blue/Charcoal GT, 400A Premium,6sp MT, HID's, Security Package, Comfort Package, 3.73's, Koni SRT/SteedaSports+Panhard, GT500 Mufflers
'06 Mazda Tribute,'05 Honda ST1300
'03 Yamaha FZ1000 '98 '00 '02 '04 Ford Expedition
'93 Buick Regal '90 Ford Explorer '87 F-250HD Diesel
'85 Yamaha FJ1100 '83 Honda NightHawk 650
'80 Olds Cutlass '70 Ford LTD
PONY Member
4.6L Member

I couldn't get my 01 out of my driveway in the winter, let alone try and drive it on slick roads. I've got a 69 Bronco, an 86 Bronco, and a 2006 F 150 4x4, they get driven in the winter. My job gives me a new PowerStroke F350 4x4 for work, so thats covered. Around here, even if the roads are dry it can cloud up and cover the roads in no time flat, you don't wanna get caught out in the 'Stang. I've seen a few guys do it, but I wouldn't. No salt on the roads here, so rust isn't a problem.

2001 Gt (gone but not forgotten, always loved!)
Mineral Grey, KN cold air, SLP cat back, 4:10 gears, Hurst compitition plus shifter, rear window louvers, silver face gauges, Boss Shinoda chin spoiler, Kaminari side skirts, Shaker hoodscoop
Best time 14.20 @ 7000 ft elev (on G-tech performance meter).
real men drive domestic
GT Member

If I can drive a lowered 328i in snow with summer wheels (very crappy snow car) then I would figure a Mustang with All Seasons would be fine. But then, we here in Seattle don't really know what snow is. Anything over 6 inches and it's Subaru time.

Bryce
---------
Track Rat #1 - VF supercharged e46 bimmer
Track Rat #2 - Kona 5.0 Premium | 3.73 MT82 | 400A | glass roof | saddle int. | Brembo Pkg | Com. & Sec. Pkg | camera | HID | Nav | no stripes | MM camberplates | Bilstein springs & Eibach dampers | Stock 368 RWHP @ 6700 / 354 TQ @ 4375 - Build Date 6-17-10
Sunny Day: Kawasaki 1600 with hypercharger and tune.
Rookie

Well i would suggest you to take winter tyres for your car as they are wonderful in show.I have been using the winter tyres and they are really great.

Acura HID Kits

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page