Driving a GT in winter....Crazy or OK? - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

Can't attest to the 19s

O.k. let's say you've got lots of cash and just don't care about the rust issue...then you go from there.

My experience: Had an 05 V-6 Auto coupe. It had traction control. I bought four takeoff bullitt wheels (17"). I bought four Michelin X ice snow tires. Most fun winter car I've had in years. Fun to floor it, fun to slam on the brakes. Looked for excuses every weekend to take short road trips in the snow. Wanna do donuts? Turn off the traction control. Want a little more traction...keep the gas tanks full. (This was in western NYS...snow and salt country).

I would not advise any Mustang in the snow without FOUR snow tires. More tires = more fun

I hate to admit it, though I hate auto trans, that option did make winter driving easier...Basically a no brainer.

So, buy the cheapest rims you can find...maybe 18s, and research snow tires and buy four new snow tires...the best currently recommended.

I would be asking...What are the cheapest rims of any size that will fit over the brakes in a 2011 GT ?

Then just have fun next winter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

Hmmm. I was thinking about selling my old '96 Sable, but this thread has me questioning that. I live in Maryland (near Annapolis), and really only get snow serious enough to stick to roads once every other year. Big blizzard this year though The salt has me worried now. I am about to order a '11 GT and knowing how things are going, I'll probably won't be in it till the Fall.

$500 cash for the car versus keeping a winter beater, + more $$$ to insure it?

post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

The GM cars I have had since the late 90s never had rust issues. And we get plenty of salt on the roads in Michigan.

Ford has to be the same.

PONY Member
V6 Member

We plan on driving ours in the winter. It hardly entered my mind not to.
With a posi rear, snow tires and a little weight in the trunk I should be good to go.
Park it for the winter….
I do not ever remember having big troubles with rear wheel drive cars in the winter not to mention one with a posi rear. I really think people over state the drivability of front wheel drive cars vs rear wheel drive (could be an age thing). Essentially it boils down to the driver and even up here in New York the difference now-a-days between a snow covered road and one that isn’t is about 3 hours. As far as salt goes in the winter…so what? They sell new cars every day of the week. The Toyota Highlander we are trading in cost a bit more than this thing and we didn’t park it.

2011 V6 Mustang - Premium
Sterling Gray Metallic, Charcoal Black
Automatic, 2.73 Rear
Comfort Package, Camera
AM/BAMA 93R Tune, K&N Drop-In, Roush Axle Back
Apprentice

What a bunch of sissies!

With a good set of dedicated snows (4), it's a breeze! I picked up a set of take-off fanblades on ebay for about $200. Hankook Ice Bears, and it's all good. I just swap wheels in my driveway when the seasons change.

2006 GT - Black - Redfire stripes - Red leather - Louvres - 18" Polished Bullits - Flowmaster AT's - 3.73 gears - JLT intake / Bamachips tune
Apprentice

I grew up driving crap rear wheel drive cars as a teenager. No traction control, no anti-lock brakes. I haven't had a car rust from the salt in years. Just hose it off at least when salt gets on it. don't be a wuss, get snow tires and drive it.

I didn't spend 35K on a car to not drive it 5 months out of the year here in Michgan.

It's just a Mustang, not a Ferrari for petes sake. Just keep some sick days for the real bad days, stay home and play video games all day!! You are never too old for a snow day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page