Are talight covers legal? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Are talight covers legal?

I was thinking of buying these for my car but not sure if they are legal? Can the cars behind you see your turning signal? Anyone have any info about these from American Muscle?

Mustang Smoked Taillight Covers (2010+) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010
PONY Member

dont like them!

2013 Boss 302
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

i don't like em and do you want to chance your ride gettin rear ended because of these?

2011 Black GT Premium
Auto, 401A, Shaker 1000, Comfort Package,
18 inch rims, 50/50 Window Tint, Mrt
Rear hinged window louvers, 5.0 Flowmaster
American Thunders.
Boss Quad Exhaust
Ordered 2/9/10
Arrived 4/29/10

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010
SHELBY GT-40 ULTIMATE Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to jim293
They are not in California. But then again every thing is illegal out here.

2002 Saleen S/C Coupe
#293 Torch Red
21st Century Intercooler & Heat Exchanger
Brembo Brakes
Corbeau Seats
#14 RMR (Red Mustang Registry)
Power in the hands of a few
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010
Rookie
V6 Member

i agree would go with euro lights
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010
BOSS Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Rockin' Blue's
Probably depends on your state DMV regulations, The really dark ones I would say no or you might have to remove them at night. Check out Lamin-X.com for some vinyl tints , I have some on my fog lights and I like them they are a blue tint, but they have light smoked ones for the head and tail lights that would look good and could give you what your looking for possibly!

[LEFT]"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government " Thomas Jefferson

There's another old saying, Senator: Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining
( Outlaw Josey Wales )

My Ride : " Buster " 2007 Vista Blue GT
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member

i would only putthem if ur going MUEDERED now that would look badass..
ther are some pics from previous customers..they only look good it ur car is black

98 Camaro LS1 H/C/I
07 Mustang 4.0
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supes2011GT View Post
i don't like em and do you want to chance your ride gettin rear ended because of these?
Exactly! IMO, why would you want to make yourself less visible, prone to get rear-ended, putting you and others in harm's way, just to look.......what? cooler? it's just silly, the stuff people do.

2011 GT premium, Red metallic, black interior, 19" wheels, manual transmission, 3.55 ratio, electronics and comfort packages, camera, HID
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_C View Post
Exactly! IMO, why would you want to make yourself less visible, prone to get rear-ended, putting you and others in harm's way, just to look.......what? cooler? it's just silly, the stuff people do.

That's why I am asking, I don't know how much the covers affect the visibility. I didn't say I ordered them , just checking out what others know about them. Why do we get aftermarket parts? yes, looking cool is part of it, wh ydo we mod at all if looking cool is not a small part? No need to be a **** about it, just say you like them or not and thats enough.
Apprentice

I like the tinted tail lights better. I just gotta find out of they are legal everywhere.
Apprentice

If anything, get the smoked/tinted tail lights. Don't get those tacky-looking covers.
Apprentice
V6 Member

YES, smoked, tinted, and otherwise dark or blacked out tail lights are unlawful and for "OFF-ROAD USE ONLY".

2011 V6 - Premium
6 Speed Auto, 2.73 Rear, K&N Drop-In
Black on Black, Mustang Club of America
20% Tint, Color matched mirrors, side rockers, & rear valance, Flat black calipers
Comfort Pkg

-- "Eva"
Apprentice

I'm not a fan of the covers but here's what the state has to say about it according to Tennessee Code 55-9-402.

Quote:
(b) (1) Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with two (2) red tail lamps and two (2) red stoplights on the rear of the vehicle, and one (1) tail lamp and one (1) stoplight shall be on each side, except that passenger cars manufactured or assembled prior to January 1, 1939, trucks manufactured or assembled prior to January 1, 1968, and motorcycles and motor-driven cycles shall have at least one (1) red tail lamp and one (1) red stoplight. No non-emergency vehicle shall operate or install emergency flashing light systems such as strobe, wig-wag, or other flashing lights in tail light lamp, stoplight area, or factory installed emergency flasher and backup light area; provided, however, that the foregoing prohibition shall not apply to the utilization of a continuously flashing light system. For the purposes of this part, “continuously flashing light system” means a brake light system in which the brake lamp pulses rapidly for no more than five (5) seconds when the brake is applied, and then converts to a continuous light as a normal brake lamp until the time that the brake is released.

(2) The stoplight shall be so arranged as to be actuated by the application of the service or foot brake and shall be capable of being seen and distinguished from a distance of one hundred feet (100¢) to the rear of a motor vehicle in normal daylight, but shall not project a glaring or dazzling light.

2011 MCA V6 Coupe, Ebony/Charcoal, 6 SP M/T, 3.31 Rear End, Security Package, HID Headlights.
Tint, GT500 Rear Diffuser, 401a Knob and Boot, Roush Axle-Back Exhaust, Roush Extreme Lowering Springs
Ordered: 3/20/10 | Pulled: 4/8/10 | Built: 4/19/10 | ETA #1: 5/6/10 | ETA #2: 7/15/10 | Delivered: 7/24/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page