Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Am I too old for a Mustang?

17K views 65 replies 55 participants last post by  oldlugs 
#1 ·
Yes, I know, age is only ion the mind, but on the other hand, numbers do not lie. I am 46 and NOT going through a mid-life crisis (LOL!), but just want to enjoy my life. With that being said, the one concern I had when narrowing my choices down in cars was my age. I wanted something that would be right for me. I LOVE the Mustang look and was very excited about getting one...again, until I saw the numbers, and also thought about the several times I saw newer Mustangs, the drivers were twenty somethings, or early thirties for most part.

So my question is, on average, is the Mustang a "younger" persons car?

View Poll Results: So what is your age? 0-18
18714.79%18-20
16312.90%21-24
17714.00%25-29
15812.50%30-34
13410.60%35-39
1219.57%40-44
1088.54%45-49
776.09%50-54
584.59%55-59
433.40%60+
383.01%

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/power-polls/1463-what-your-age.html

See less See more
#31 ·
All the bases about age have been pretty much covered in this thread. Kudos to the older guys that refuse to grow old! Age is just a number; if you stay in shape and are fortunate enough to be in good health, then go for it! Pursue your dreams and maintain a youthful mental attitude and anything is possible, the sky is the limit!
I just turned 66 years young and belong to a select group of guys that share the need for extreme speed and performance, age be damned! We assault the pavement and canyon roads aboard the fastest production vehicle in existance, the Suzuki GSX1300R "Hayabusa". Out of the box, 9.7 @ close to 150MPH in the quarter, 186MPH top end (restriction limited).
Gonna order up a Performance White, 401A premium pkg, 3.73 diff. and Brembo pkg towards the end of summer, when hopefully all the bugs of a new production vehicle are sorted out.
So, if you think 46 is old, climb aboard for the first 30 seconds or so of the attached video and watch the speedo go from zero to 186 in about 18 seconds (professional rider, not me, but I have seen many 170MPH stints out here in the desert). :D

YouTube - Onboard the 2008 Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa

#32 ·
All the bases about age have been pretty much covered in this thread. Kudos to the older guys that refuse to grow old! Age is just a number; if you stay in shape and are fortunate enough to be in good health, then go for it! Pursue your dreams and maintain a youthful mental attitude and anything is possible, the sky is the limit!
I just turned 66 years young and belong to a select group of guys that share the need for extreme speed and performance, age be damned! We assault the pavement and canyon roads aboard the fastest production vehicle in existance, the Suzuki GSX1300R "Hayabusa". Out of the box, 9.7 @ close to 150MPH in the quarter, 186MPH top end (restriction limited).
Gonna order up a Performance White, 401A premium pkg, 3.73 diff. and Brembo pkg towards the end of summer, when hopefully all the bugs of a new production vehicle are sorted out.
So, if you think 46 is old, climb aboard for the first 30 seconds or so of the attached video and watch the speedo go from zero to 186 in about 18 seconds (professional rider, not me, but I have seen many 170MPH stints out here in the desert). :D

YouTube - Onboard the 2008 Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa

Thanks for posting!

#33 ·
I LOVE the Mustang look and was very excited about getting one...again, until I saw the numbers, and also thought about the several times I saw newer Mustangs, the drivers were twenty somethings, or early thirties for most part.

So my question is, on average, is the Mustang a "younger" persons car?
Something to consider here is what we in the sciences call "selection bias".

I think it's fair to say that your average 20-year-old is going to be more internet savvy than your average 70-year-old, and therefore more likely to log on to a forum and vote in this poll. It's very possible that there's a completely even distribution in Mustang owners' ages, and this youth-heavy distribution is just a function of computer literacy.

#35 ·
I'll be 50 in December. I sent out the security deposit today for my 5.0 GT. Get it?:)

#39 ·
It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years! - Abe Lincoln

As a soon to be 69 year old I love the hell out of both my Mustangs. And I don't really car if someone thinks I'm too old to be driving one or not!

#40 ·
Bought my 2010 GB GT back in March. I love driving it. I drive it every chance I can. Even took the wife to the grocery store a couple times. With a old back I take my time getting in and out - no problems. I drove it to the Ford show at Carlisle, PA last Friday. Drove it home that night. Car is comfy and quite for the old side of me.

#41 ·
I'm 46, and getting my 7th Mustang GT. I'm not having a mid-life crisis - I just never grew up! :p

G
#42 ·
here is the answer that you need. I was out to dinner with some family, actually my nana's 75th. I go out side for a quick smoke and a phone call and i hear the roar that i know from a 1000 miles away. it was a mustang.

It had the shelby appearance package, but no supercharger :(. in the distance my jaw dropped and in my mind, im like this guy has to be in his 20's 30's. He pulls closer.. going quite fast. This 90 year old woman, or atleast she llooked comes out of the door, and opens the door of this mustang, i go... awwh thats sweet of her grandson, i see inside and its this 90 year old dude with no hair, driving a shelby in a 6 spd! ahhahahahahah it brought tears to my eyes and a smile to my face. a moment i'll never forget. i shout, rev the engine rev the engine! he revs, revs, REVS! he burns out onto the main road and he is gone.

the legacy of the 90 year old man and his pony :)

#43 ·
Bought my first Mustang in April. $23.900 for a 2007 black GT convertible on a large Ford dealership's showroom floor.
Has automatic trans, light gray leather, interior upgrade, 6,500 miles, 18's, I installed sequentials last week--nice mod!
I teach in an elementary school in SW Pennsylvania and the kids and staff just love my car!
She is my daily driver.
BTW, I'm 53 and can't wait for my next drive!

#44 ·
Top Down, now is the perfect time to buy the Mustang you want. I just bought my 2011 at 49. I figured that I needed to do it now because, at 6'7", I may not be able to get in and out of it for too many more years. My wife and I are on the "one car payment" plan. If I didn't get it now, it would be 8 years before my turn to get a car comes up again. I thought 57 would be pushing it after years of competitive basketball have taken a toll on my knees.

Bottom line, go for it. If you can't quite afford a 2011, Ford dealers in my area are highly discounting the 2010s.

PJ

#47 ·
x2 ;) :cooldude:

#49 ·
You're only to old if it's to fast or to loud for you. As long as you want it, good enough. For what it's worth, I'm 40. I got my first one when I was mid 20's (67 coupe I restored), and my second one (01 GT) when I was 33, which I modded and rodded. As soon as I can afford a coyote, I will be shredding the tires and embarassing camaros every chance I get, not matter what my age!

#51 ·
I'll be 70 in 3 months, I'm waiting for my '11 GT vert. I'm trading my C6 Vette vert because it got too hard on my knees getting in and out. Traded my '03 GT vert for the Vette, and am anxious to be back in a Mustang again. Had hot cars all my life, my first car would probably have been a Mustang, but they were still 9 years away at that time.

Do what you feel like, age is irrelevent.

#53 ·
Mustang Great for any age

I bought my first Mustang when I was 19. It was a 1966 Coupe with a 289 automatic, it was roughly 11 years old at the time. I have liked Mustangs ever since. Have owned 8 Mustangs total since and including my first. Currently enjoying the best one yet, my new 2011 GT automatic. :bigthumbsup

#56 ·
#57 ·
62 here. I went for the base coupe with a 6 speed manual... it was a steal. I'm pleased and she's likely to be a bit faster than people think. 3:73s or 4:10s and tires will help her I suspect. :smoke: Also building a 450 hp 64 Fairlane Sport Coupe so I couldn't really justify a 5.0. Life isn't a dress rehearsal .. get it if you want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.