Am I too old for a Mustang? - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie

All the bases about age have been pretty much covered in this thread. Kudos to the older guys that refuse to grow old! Age is just a number; if you stay in shape and are fortunate enough to be in good health, then go for it! Pursue your dreams and maintain a youthful mental attitude and anything is possible, the sky is the limit!
I just turned 66 years young and belong to a select group of guys that share the need for extreme speed and performance, age be damned! We assault the pavement and canyon roads aboard the fastest production vehicle in existance, the Suzuki GSX1300R "Hayabusa". Out of the box, 9.7 @ close to 150MPH in the quarter, 186MPH top end (restriction limited).
Gonna order up a Performance White, 401A premium pkg, 3.73 diff. and Brembo pkg towards the end of summer, when hopefully all the bugs of a new production vehicle are sorted out.
So, if you think 46 is old, climb aboard for the first 30 seconds or so of the attached video and watch the speedo go from zero to 186 in about 18 seconds (professional rider, not me, but I have seen many 170MPH stints out here in the desert).

YouTube - Onboard the 2008 Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccbusa09 View Post
All the bases about age have been pretty much covered in this thread. Kudos to the older guys that refuse to grow old! Age is just a number; if you stay in shape and are fortunate enough to be in good health, then go for it! Pursue your dreams and maintain a youthful mental attitude and anything is possible, the sky is the limit!
I just turned 66 years young and belong to a select group of guys that share the need for extreme speed and performance, age be damned! We assault the pavement and canyon roads aboard the fastest production vehicle in existance, the Suzuki GSX1300R "Hayabusa". Out of the box, 9.7 @ close to 150MPH in the quarter, 186MPH top end (restriction limited).
Gonna order up a Performance White, 401A premium pkg, 3.73 diff. and Brembo pkg towards the end of summer, when hopefully all the bugs of a new production vehicle are sorted out.
So, if you think 46 is old, climb aboard for the first 30 seconds or so of the attached video and watch the speedo go from zero to 186 in about 18 seconds (professional rider, not me, but I have seen many 170MPH stints out here in the desert).

YouTube - Onboard the 2008 Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa

Thanks for posting!

Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Down View Post
I LOVE the Mustang look and was very excited about getting one...again, until I saw the numbers, and also thought about the several times I saw newer Mustangs, the drivers were twenty somethings, or early thirties for most part.

So my question is, on average, is the Mustang a "younger" persons car?
Something to consider here is what we in the sciences call "selection bias".

I think it's fair to say that your average 20-year-old is going to be more internet savvy than your average 70-year-old, and therefore more likely to log on to a forum and vote in this poll. It's very possible that there's a completely even distribution in Mustang owners' ages, and this youth-heavy distribution is just a function of computer literacy.

2011 GT Premium, Auto, 401A
Kona Blue Exterior, Charcoal w/Grabber Stripe Interior.

Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRay View Post
The Mustang crowd around here are all ages. I see mostly the older crowd cruising in their 2005+ verts with their baseball caps and trophy wives. The younger crowd mostly drive New Edges and older.
Something else to consider is that younger folks probably won't have as much expendable income as someone older.

A young person's Mustang is more likely to be their only car, while the older folks might only take their Mustangs out on the weekend and use something more "sensible" as a daily driver. As a result, you're more likely to see that younger person driving a Mustang than an older one, even if ownership is the same.

2011 GT Premium, Auto, 401A
Kona Blue Exterior, Charcoal w/Grabber Stripe Interior.
F91
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
I'll be 50 in December. I sent out the security deposit today for my 5.0 GT. Get it?

2011 GT | MT82 | 3.73 | Brembos | Barton | Airaid | CDC chin | Corsa X pipe & Xtremes | DSS Aluminum Shaft | BMR Rear loop & LCA relocating brackets | J&M Extreme LCA | Koni Yellows | Steeda Sports | UMI Panhard | SCT & BAMA
"Yo, nutsack! Let me tell you something, man, muscle beats import every time. You know what I'm saying? Every time!" - Dwight
Rookie

I'm 47 and took delivery of my 2011 5L vert two weeks ago. It was the right choice and I haven't looked back.
Rookie

I'm 42 and this is my first brand new car EVER! So long second hand already used up car.

Great powers comes with great responsablility.
Rookie
S197 Member

My wife describes me as her teenage 64 year old husband. Does my heart good to read posts from the other guys who say the hell with age, I need that car. Just ordered a 2011 GT Premium, Kona blue, stick, 3.73, Comfort.
Rookie
Classic Member
S197 Member

It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years! - Abe Lincoln

As a soon to be 69 year old I love the hell out of both my Mustangs. And I don't really car if someone thinks I'm too old to be driving one or not!

Jim

1966 Mustang GT Coupe - Bought in 1997. Candy Apple Red, 289 A-code. Basically stock, factory A/C, P/S, Pony interior, 15" Torq Thrust II wheels, Pertronix ignition, 40K miles without a glitch. My cruiser.

2006 Mustang GT Convertible Premium - Bought in 2006. Redfire Metallic, 5-speed, K&N CAI, engine cover, Flowmaster axle-back exhaust, aftermarket 18" chrome wheels, Hurst short throw shifter, V6 Pony grill, Roush hood scoop, mirror covers, sequential turn siignals. My hot rod.
Rookie

Bought my 2010 GB GT back in March. I love driving it. I drive it every chance I can. Even took the wife to the grocery store a couple times. With a old back I take my time getting in and out - no problems. I drove it to the Ford show at Carlisle, PA last Friday. Drove it home that night. Car is comfy and quite for the old side of me.

My Mustang : 2010 Grabber Blue GT, 401A, AT, Nav, 19" PPW, Security, Comfort, Rear Camera
Apprentice
V6 Member
4.6L Member

I'm 46, and getting my 7th Mustang GT. I'm not having a mid-life crisis - I just never grew up! :P

Carmine
1998 Mustang GT, auto, 3.27 gears, Pacific Green w/gold trim
SCT Tuner with BAMA 93 Race Tune, BBK 78mm TB, BBK CAI, 17X9 Black Bullitt Rims, Kenwood KDC-HD545U Deck, Kenwood KFC-C6893PS 6"x8" speakers, Bazooka BTA10100 Powered Tube Sub, JL Audio C5075-CT tweeters
04GTYellowStang

here is the answer that you need. I was out to dinner with some family, actually my nana's 75th. I go out side for a quick smoke and a phone call and i hear the roar that i know from a 1000 miles away. it was a mustang.

It had the shelby appearance package, but no supercharger . in the distance my jaw dropped and in my mind, im like this guy has to be in his 20's 30's. He pulls closer.. going quite fast. This 90 year old woman, or atleast she llooked comes out of the door, and opens the door of this mustang, i go... awwh thats sweet of her grandson, i see inside and its this 90 year old dude with no hair, driving a shelby in a 6 spd! ahhahahahahah it brought tears to my eyes and a smile to my face. a moment i'll never forget. i shout, rev the engine rev the engine! he revs, revs, REVS! he burns out onto the main road and he is gone.

the legacy of the 90 year old man and his pony (:
Rookie

Bought my first Mustang in April. $23.900 for a 2007 black GT convertible on a large Ford dealership's showroom floor.
Has automatic trans, light gray leather, interior upgrade, 6,500 miles, 18's, I installed sequentials last week--nice mod!
I teach in an elementary school in SW Pennsylvania and the kids and staff just love my car!
She is my daily driver.
BTW, I'm 53 and can't wait for my next drive!
Rookie
S197 Member

Top Down, now is the perfect time to buy the Mustang you want. I just bought my 2011 at 49. I figured that I needed to do it now because, at 6'7", I may not be able to get in and out of it for too many more years. My wife and I are on the "one car payment" plan. If I didn't get it now, it would be 8 years before my turn to get a car comes up again. I thought 57 would be pushing it after years of competitive basketball have taken a toll on my knees.

Bottom line, go for it. If you can't quite afford a 2011, Ford dealers in my area are highly discounting the 2010s.

PJ
Apprentice

56 years old and my 06 GT is my 8 th Mustang since '72' Would love to get a 5.0 - But will wait for a year or 2

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page