71 MPH in a 40 MPH Posted - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan0490 View Post
I would like to go the lawyer route but around here you need to pay money just to talk to a lawyer as far as I know. How did you find a lawyer you could talk to about it before even paying?
I just looked up a traffic lawyer. He might have come recommended, I don't really remember. Try the phone book or THE GOOGLE?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rookie

Do you own the "2011 Premium Package V6 - Black on Black, Mustang Club of America Pkg, Comfort Pkg -- "Eva" " ?

If the answer is yes to that question, how on earth could you not afford the $371 ticket?

post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossimo142 View Post
Do you own the "2011 Premium Package V6 - Black on Black, Mustang Club of America Pkg, Comfort Pkg -- "Eva" " ?

If the answer is yes to that question, how on earth could you not afford the $371 ticket?
2 words... Minimum Wage.

2011 V6 - Premium
6 Speed Auto, 2.73 Rear, K&N Drop-In
Black on Black, Mustang Club of America
20% Tint, Color matched mirrors, side rockers, & rear valance, Flat black calipers
Comfort Pkg

-- "Eva"

Apprentice

Just man up to your mistake. The cop already cut you a break. Don't be greedy.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan0490 View Post
2 words... Minimum Wage.
How did you afford the car if you only make minimum wage?!?!
Apprentice

Nathan,

My father got a ticket in Gilbert with LIDAR from a motor cycle cop.

He won in court on a technicality. The cops are supposed to test their gun out between 2 signs that are setup and measured with a steel measuring tape (for calibration and testing). Gilbert did not have such a range and he won the case based on that.

Now I got a speeding ticket a while back from Gilbert and the cop was using a Radar gun. I grilled him for about 2 hrs. Turns out we found records on the radar gun by subpoenaing them and the gun had an intermittent problem that was not corrected. We even subpoenaed the repair guy to show up in court and he said he did not correct the "intermittent" problem. The judge ended up sending a letter to me 1-2 weeks later saying that the "police officers visual estimate of my speed was good enough" even without the radar gun.

I'd say do driving school if you're eligible. If not, subpoena the hell out of their records and ask for all records of the LIDAR gun, the manual of the LIDAR gun. I wouldn't ask them about the testing range because that's what my dad won on, if you tell them ahead of time, they might be able to set one up real quick on their premises before the court date.

If you're interested in fighting it, PM me and I'll see if I can find any of the documentation from his case. Or his case #, which you could probably go to the court of Gilbert and request the case notes which should be public record and case law now.

Ultimately it's going to come down to the judge, and if they're neutral or not. If they're biased towards the cops point of view, you probably don't stand a chance. It took my dad about a month to familiarize himself with the LIDAR manual for the gun the cop was using, which you'd have to find out by subpoena. It can take you quite a bit of time to build up a case. When my dad and I got our tickets 2 weeks apart, that's when we decided to fight our cases. We got 2 different judges, his seemed to be more neutral though and didn't take sides, whereas my judge was blatantly biased.

Also, no lawyers would talk to us regarding a speeding ticket. They seemed to be more interesting in protecting drunks and injury accidents than us, because there's more $$$ in it for them.

But yes, you got lucky that they didn't write it up as Criminal Speeding

You now have to figure out if it's worth the time and hassle of going to court and missing work if it falls on a workday. I hate being caught up in the judicial system and it will just make you have a negative view of the courts and cops. It might not be worth the stress, but if you can convince the judge that the fine is a little high for what you make, they might be able to work out a deal or payment plan..
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanjarrette View Post
Nathan,

My father got a ticket in Gilbert with LIDAR from a motor cycle cop.

<snip>
Thanks for the info man. The court date is actually on the 7th of July, so right around the corner. I don't really want to piss the judge off and have him switch it to criminal and suspend my license which I have been told can happen.

It just decided to show up in their system finally and according to Mesa e-court I can put in for a Continuance of Appearance on the 3 following dates:

Appearance Options (select one)
07/20/2010 &nbsp10:00
07/27/2010 &nbsp10:00
08/05/2010 &nbsp10:00

Quote:
Amount Due
07/06/2010 $ 337.00
Current Balance
06/21/2010 $ 337.00

How much over was your ticket for? Also how much additional did you have to pay in your case after the State won for court costs?

2011 V6 - Premium
20% Tint, Color matched mirrors, side rockers, & rear valance, Flat black calipers
Comfort Pkg

-- "Eva"
PONY Member

Dude just pay it. In the long run itll be more. Trust me! 109mph in a 60 zone . First time you go to court is just your plea. then if you enter a "not guilty" then you get a court date and then the police officer is summoned to court. O BTW if you are found guilty, you have to pay all those court fines even if he does lower it. so just pay it and take it as a learning lesson.

2011 Mustang GT Premium - Race Red w/ Black Stripe - Brembo Package - Shaker 1000
2003 F150 FX4 5.4L - 3in lift
Semper Paratus
"They say money doesn't buy happiness. That phrase should end with 'just kidding" -Daniel Tosh
Rookie
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossimo142 View Post
How did you afford the car if you only make minimum wage?!?!
If he works full time and lives at home with mom and dad, it's easily affordable on minimum wage. He probably uses half of his income on the car payment and his insurance might not be as cheap, but if he doesn't carry any or a lot of bills it can be done.
Rookie

Ticket

I would have to say just pay the ticket and get it over with....

2011 GT/CS (black) 3.73, Hid, Security, comfort...
Apprentice

How do you go 71 in a 40 zone? 40 mph zones are usually fairly residential/commercial. You must have really been zipping around other cars to achieve this speed. A little unsafe?
GT Member
S197 Member

The one and only ticket that ever went on my record, which was like over 10 years ago, went like this:

I was caught doing around 13 over the limit. I got the ticket and appeared in court the date it stated. I pleaded guilty to the judge and she told me ~$45. I asked her if that was the total amount due and she said yes.

I was amazed. The ticket itself was over $100 and I figured she was just citing the court costs. I went up and paid the cashier right then and there. Easiest thing ever!

Let me knock on some wood, but I haven't been caught speeding since, though I typically do 5 over, never more than 10.

2019 GT - Velocity Blue with Black Accent Package
Apprentice

Lesson here is......... No Speeding = No Wasted Cash.

Dougs 91 Race Tune with CAI/ Pypes Violators/ FRPP 3.73 Gears/Roush UDPs/ '70 Style Mach1 Treatment/Synthetic Fluids/Best run: 13.33 at 104 MPH on stock tires (87 degrees/moderate humidity) before UDPs, new 93 tune and more practice. Hoping for 12.9 now.
Other Hot Rod-- Matching Numbers Arctic White 1971 Buick GSX 455 with 62,000 original miles.
2004 Silverado DD.
Apprentice

This is nothing. When I was 19 (6 years ago), driving my '98 GT, I was screwing around with this small tow-truck driver who was tailgating me on the freeway. I exited but he started to follow me. I figured he was pissed and honestly I was a bit scared so I floored it, ended up doing 100 on a 45 on the road by my house, and 90 in a 35 on the next road. It was almost midnight so I didn't even pass any other cars. He was pretty far back by then. Soon I blew through a stop sign on the next road and a cop driving the opposite way did a 180 and pulled me over. A minute later the truck driver caught up and got out and talked to the cop. The cop said the truck driver had notified the police via dispatch of my speeding. He asked how fast I was going and I went fully honest and admitted to 100. He said he could very well have my car towed and me taken to jail. Went to his car and came back, and said he'd give me the option of a ticket of reckless driving, or a ticket of going through a stop sign. (WOW). So I got out of there with just that.

Now the funny part is I STILL decided to go to court (can't hurt right?). The cop showed, and he told the judge what happened. I told the judge the only reason I was driving so fast was because I felt I was being followed (the truth, though I probably didn't have to go 100 to get away lol) which the judge believed since it did fit with how the officer said the truck driver was "attempting" to track me. The judge REDUCED the ticket to impeding...which is not even worth points here in MI. He was like "so we're letting you off VERY easy aren't we?"

Yeah I'm very lucky for that.
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H82BSLO View Post
How do you go 71 in a 40 zone? 40 mph zones are usually fairly residential/commercial. You must have really been zipping around other cars to achieve this speed. A little unsafe?
Residential zone is all 25 here in AZ it's probably different in GA. 40 is way too fast for residential.

2011 V6 - Premium
Comfort Pkg

-- "Eva"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page