71 MPH in a 40 MPH Posted - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

Post 71 MPH in a 40 MPH Posted

Hey guys,

yesterday I got my first speeding ticket, ever. I had just gotten out of work(10am) and was trying to make it across town from Mesa to Phoenix to the VA hospital for a Dr Appt that was at 10:30. I wasn't paying attention to my speed as I was coming around the bend toward the turn to get onto the on ramp and there was 2 motorcycle Mesa cops sitting there clocking people with Laser. The first guy instantly got behind me and threw his lights on motioning for me to cross 4 lanes over and get off the road. I promptly pulled off the road, put it in park, rolled down my window and put my hands on the wheel. He came up and I greeted him and he asked me if I knew what the posted speed was. I said that I believe it is 45 in this area and he said no its actually a 40, do you know how fast you were going? I said I believe I was doing around 50 to which is said no you were doing 71. To which I didn't have much to say because I was kind of blown back by that. He then said give me one reason I shouldn't take you to jail right now for criminal speed to which I said "I apologize Officer, I'm trying to get to the VA hospital over in Phoenix and I was not paying attention to my speed". He glanced at my insurance card and took my license and temp registration back to his bike to run everything. He came back up and said, "I am cutting you two breaks right now, first I am not taking you to jail (criminal speed here is anything over 19 over the posted speed) and I am not giving you a ticket marked "Criminal speed" but instead of "Civil Traffic". He warned me that if he saw me going anywhere near that fast again that he would arrest me on site and said to drive safe. I thanked him and was on my way.

In Arizona you must have 24 months between the times you go to traffic school, I attended traffic school in October of 2008 for a "Failure to Control" ticket dismissal from an accident I was in. That was technically my first ticket but never went on my record because it was dismissed due to the school.

On the citation it says ;

SPEED- Approx 71, Posted 40, R&P 40 -- Speed Measurement Device; Laser

Violation; 28-701A ARS SPEEDING +31

So my two options are pay the ticket in the amount of $371.00 or go to the court date on July 6th and ask the judge to lower the fine due to this being my first offense. Some people say that it is worth it to goto court because sometimes the officer will not show and that is an automatic dismissal. My uncle who is a retired police officer said he thinks that going to court would be unwise because he believes that the judge can decide to change it to criminal speeding if he's having a bad day.

Bottom Line: I messed up, do not have $371 and would like some opinions of people who have been in similar situations before.

2011 V6 - Premium
6 Speed Auto, 2.73 Rear, K&N Drop-In
Black on Black, Mustang Club of America
20% Tint, Color matched mirrors, side rockers, & rear valance, Flat black calipers
Comfort Pkg

-- "Eva"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010
PONY Member

I agree with your uncle, the cop already cut you a bit of a break and in my experience judges are less forgiving.

If you go fight the ticket and the cops (there were two right?) show, what's your defense? unfortunately you don't have a leg to stand on and the judge may be offended you are trying to further get away from something you were already given a break on. Just my opinion though. Good luck either way!

[SIZE=1][COLOR=Navy]Black 1990 Notchback
306, 70mm turbo, HCI, 5sp, coilovers and 5 lug conversion.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I would just pay it and be done with it. I would not take the chance that the judge may be having a bad day.

"Old Skool Bod with New Skool Mods"
Who said you "can't make BIG power in a Returnless System?"

ZERO to S I X T Y in NO TIME.......

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010
GT Member

I had a 89 in a 60 here in Texas. And, I had just gotten a stupid ticket for turning right on red and an intersection you are not supposed to, but I wasn't familiar with it. Afterward, I found the sign indicating such was 30 car lengths behind the intersection, hence why I didn't see it. Back to the ticket. I had an Attorney go to court to keep it off my record, but I had to pay the $271 fie plus court costs. It was worth it. With four cars, my increase in insurance would have easily eclipsed that amount. I also had to take defensive driving. No big deal, as it is online now. I have two weeks left on my 90 day deferred period. Keeping my fingers crossed!

You are lucky you didn't go to jail, as was I. I got a break because it was right before morning rush hour and I think the officer knew he would be getting a slough of tickets during the next hour.

Be careful out there!
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010
PONY Member

I had a ticket last fall. He said he clocked me at 83 in a 55. He wrote me up for 74, but the supporting deposition said 83. Went to court and DA reduced it to 64 without any discussion. Couple points and $183. No change in insurance and no class. Could have been a lot worse.

Received 7/2/10: 11' GT base with 3.73,
Installed: Steeda CAI, SCT, Steeda tune, GT500 axlebacks, SVT leather wheel, Infinity Kappas, Boston amp, Bazooka powered sub, yellow fog light bulbs, dark front corner lights, GT500 splash guards, tint, SVE Drift matte 18"x9" wheels with 265/40s and SVE 1" drop springs, Koni Yellow, HP+ pads, brake duct coolers with CS front lower and splitter
Bought and soon to be installed: Edelbrock E-force stage 2
Stable: 14 SHO, 10 Road Glide
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010
PONY Member

traffic school LMAO is that like in the movie,here threr is no such thing but the thought of it makes me grin

bbk udp,bbk x-pipe,afe cai,b&m short throw,excal3 tuner,40s flowmasters,20s shelby torque complete zex wet system150shot,stage 2 hitect cams,TF stage2 heads,410rwhp,eibach pro system plus,frrp 3.73
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010
Apprentice

You could always defer the case... try to stretch it out until October. Then go in with a copy of your GOOD driving record and ask for driving school but do not plead "not guilty" since you really have no defense and that will likely tick the judge off.

If I was tagged for 71 in a 40 and a cop cut me those breaks, I'd be quite happy to pay it and feel like I dodged a big bullet. Think about what you'd be facing if he HAD taken you to jail? Impound fees, bigger ticket, employment issues, lawyers, etc.

One of the reasons cops cut breaks is exactly to get people NOT to come to court. It keeps their conviction rate up. A smart cop will cut people slack when they can to do this. Blatant offenses are a different story. They'll write those up with the full charge to demonstrate they're "full enforcement of the law". All of this factors into their performance reviews. . . and subsequent promotion.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010
PONY Member

I'd show up in court. I did this a year ago for a ticket. I pleaded guilty when asked by the judge, looked at the officer and told him I appreciated his professionalism. He looked at the judge and said the state did not wish to press changes and they dropped the ticket!! I shook his hand, thanked him, and walked out. My son also went on a speeding ticket and the judge cut the fine in half. Just 2 cases where it paid off going to court.

Larry - SGM (Ret) US Army

2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible
Kona Blue, Stone Leather, Stone Top
6 Speed Auto, 2.73, Comfort Pkg, etc
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010
PONY Member
5.0L Member

I got one for not making a complete stop, I had to pay $261 plus I have to go to traffic school and pay an additional $30 to clear my record.

1995 GT 5 Speed: SOLD :RECOVERED
BBK CAI, 15% Tint, 40's Flowmasters, MGW Short Trow Shifter
18" Black Deep Dish Bullits, 8" Shorty Antenna, Polished Billet Grille
Banned
V6 Member

Send a message via AIM to 05horse Send a message via MSN to 05horse Send a message via Yahoo to 05horse
i got a ticket a few weeks ago in my rig. 65 in a 55. i was hauling ass, but thats where i got locked in at.

after i went out to where i was going i stopped in and payed it on teh way back...some times thats just best to do...but 300+ is a little steep. i dident even get that for my 45 in a 25, witch was caught on camera and noted that i was not doing 45.

have you all heard about cops being able to eyeball your speed? not useing a mechanical device. but just guessing it?....that is bullshite
Apprentice

Around here, they tend to show up on their traffic dates. Points may get dropped, but money never does. Unless you're off that day, you've got to take off of work. That alone isn't worth it for a lot of people. I guess you could always show up and if you see the cop, not stand up for your case. Most judges want this crap quickly taken care of.
Banned
V6 Member

Send a message via AIM to 05horse Send a message via MSN to 05horse Send a message via Yahoo to 05horse
i deserved my last ticket. i was honestly speeding, but in my city i got 2 trumped up tickets.

never had a speeding ticket in the stang, always in my truck...wtf lol
Apprentice
S197 Member

That speeding ticket fine seems really high, $371. Wow that's steep.

Indiana is $129 for up to 15 mph over, $169 for up to 25 mph over

2011 Mustang GT/CS - Race Red, 5.0, 6-speed manual, 3.73, Comfort Package, Electronics Package, HID, Tinted Windows, Boss Splitter
Rookie

Here in NYS (not in NYC tho) you can most probably plea bargain with the DA of the town you were pulled over in. I got a ticket for doing 80 in 65. Called up the DA, asked if it can be reduced, they told me to send in a copy of my drivers license extract, sent that in as it showed I had a clean record, then offered to lower the ticket to a generic sign disobedience with 0 points and a $145 fine. Not too shabby!
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave405nyc View Post
Here in NYS (not in NYC tho) you can most probably plea bargain with the DA of the town you were pulled over in. I got a ticket for doing 80 in 65. Called up the DA, asked if it can be reduced, they told me to send in a copy of my drivers license extract, sent that in as it showed I had a clean record, then offered to lower the ticket to a generic sign disobedience with 0 points and a $145 fine. Not too shabby!
I would like to attempt something like this.. I wonder if it would work the same way here and how I would get that contact info.

I'm brand new to Mesa, so I am unfamiliar with the entire city.

I tried looking up the complaint # on the court website just now and it says it can't be found so I guess it may take a while for the ticket to be put into the system.

2011 V6 - Premium
6 Speed Auto, 2.73 Rear, K&N Drop-In
Black on Black, Mustang Club of America
20% Tint, Color matched mirrors, side rockers, & rear valance, Flat black calipers
Comfort Pkg

-- "Eva"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page