just got a V6 2011 ford mustang and had a question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

just got a V6 2011 ford mustang and had a question

i just picked up my mustang from the dealership and they told me to use regular gas but i just wanted to know if premium would be better to use

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010
PONY Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

just run regular

Black 2006 GT T-2 Torsen Diff, 3.73 gears, FRPP 90MM CAI, SCT X-Cal 3 tuner/ Speed Inc. dyno tune, FRPP catbacks, Steeda Triaxe w/ Hurst stick and T handle, SVT strut mounts, FRPP strut brace, Steeda UDP, JBA long tube headers, JBA O/R H-pipe, CHE LCAs, CHE anti-squat brackets, Steeda adj. UCA, Steeda heavy duty engine mounts, FRPP AC delete, Shaftmasters aluminum driveshaft, Hotchkis swaybars, Corbeau FX1 Pro

DONE: 1968 Convertible PROJECT candy apple red 289 w/ edelbrock 4bbl 600 cfm
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010
Apprentice

Using premium would not net you additional gains. Sure, it wouldn't hurt to use .91 if you'd like, but there is really no point to it.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010
e-j
Rookie

No knock sensor on the 3.7 to advance the timing with higher octane fuel?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireallycare View Post
Using premium would not net you additional gains. Sure, it wouldn't hurt to use .91 if you'd like, but there is really no point to it.
Wrong. The new V6 has adaptive knock spark control. If you put in higher octane gas, the ECU will advance timing and the car will make more power. I can't wait till mne comes in and I can try 100 octan race gas at the track.

Too many cars! 2011 Mustang V6 grabber blue, 2001 Mustang Bullitt DHG 1277, 2001 Mustang Bullitt TB 3686, 2011 F150
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010
Banned

I have never used one before, but once they make tuners for the 2011 3.7 we will be able to take advantage of using higher octane, correct? How long does it take usually for tuners to hit the market for new designs?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQStang View Post
Wrong. The new V6 has adaptive knock spark control. If you put in higher octane gas, the ECU will advance timing and the car will make more power. I can't wait till mne comes in and I can try 100 octan race gas at the track.

I agree with this. Most new cars now have spark knock sensors which will allow the ECU to optimize timing for the fuel that you're running. I've tried this in different cars and have noticed a difference, some seems like more than others.

I don't have any idea what the actual increase to power might be, but it would be interesting if somebody had one of those dynamic performance measuring tools to check the difference.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010
PONY Member
V6 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ChaosFury
Remember guys/gals, "Ford recommends BP"!

Elenora. Watch out, she may kick.

2012 GT Premium: Race red - automatic - 3:31 gears - HID headlights - all weather 19" Pirelli tires - Roush axle-back exhaust, GT/CS Spoiler. Coming soon: quarter panel & rear window louvers
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010
Rookie

According to the manual:

Octane recommendations
Your vehicle is designed to use “Regular” unleaded gasoline with a
pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87. Some stations offer fuels posted as “Regular” with an octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with octane levels below 87 are not recommended.

Great powers comes with great responsablility.
PONY Member

I'd make sure before I ran anything other than 87, the manual clearly states 87, except for the 5.0, which states 87 and up. I know someone who burnt there valves up running high octane.

2006 GT, FRPP drag pack, FRPP handling pack
2011 GT ordered 1/30, off the truck on 6/21

Black GT - 401a, Black/Cashmere interior
6 spd, spoiler delete, security package
3.73, HID, comfort package
Brembo brake package, Glass top
First mod - CS front fascia
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

thanks ill stick to 87 octane at least during the break in period
Apprentice

I just got my 2011 a few weeks back, the manual says to run only 87 octane. I wouldn't run anything other than that.

Had a 99 Camaro V6 and used to run higher octane gas in it frequently. The dealership service department told me they highly discourage running anything higher than 87 in a V6 engine because the engine is not capable of the higher compression required to ignite the higher octane gasoline. They also told me that a carbon buildup occurs if you run higher octane gas in a V6.

This is just what I was told, I'm no expert, but I wouldn't run anything in the engine that the manual doesn't suggest. There's a reason why they say to run 87 octane and not 87+. The engine is designed to run the 87 rated octane gas.
Apprentice

As for the adaptive knock sensor comment, it's usually a one-way deal. A car is "designed" for a specific grade of gas but if you put in a lesser octane, it will adjust the timing to avoid the knock. But it won't suddenly say, "Look, we have race gas, let's add 40 HP."

With cars that recommend premium fuel, you can use a lesser grade gas and the knock sensor will detect it and adjust timing accordingly.
Rookie

From various sources:

Ford also worked outside the engine to make the package a better fit for the Mustang. The powertrain ECU has been upgraded with a very aggressive deceleration cylinder shutoff for fuel economy, coupled with very rapid tip-in for street performance. On the flip side, the ECU has been reprogrammed with adaptive-knock spark control. If the two knock sensors embedded in the cylinder block don't hear knocking, the ECU will keep advancing the spark until it does.

What this means in performance terms is that, if the owner uses premium or race gas on weekends, the engine should make considerably more power and torque than the numbers quoted here, which are the product of standard SAE dynamometer laboratory testing procedures and not real-world driving.

Too many cars! 2011 Mustang V6 grabber blue, 2001 Mustang Bullitt DHG 1277, 2001 Mustang Bullitt TB 3686, 2011 F150
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page