Which would you buy: 2011 Mustang V6 or used 2005 - 2010 GT? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

YouTube - 2010 Mustang GT vs. 2011 Mustang V6

take a look at this video.

i myself would get the brand new v6 then mod it out and it would be faster than the 2010 gt!

2013 Boss 302
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
S197 Member

I drove a 2011 v6 with the performance package. I hate to break the news to anyone but there’s no way the new V6 could even come close to keeping up with my 2008 GT. I have a CAI and a Breenspeed tune and its torque curve and pull is much stronger and in a better place in the rpm band.

I know what the advertisements, magazines and stats say about the new v6 but... not a chance it would keep up with my mostly stock 08 GT.

If you want the faster of the two choices you named, buy a 4.6 GT 05-09 and enjoy..

I have a 5.0 ordered, but my 08 GT is still a very quick car with a million speed mods available to make it even faster..

No intention here to bash our new 2011 v6 owners. Im sure they will be lots of fun to drive!

Blueblaze
2011 GT 5.0 Premium Coupe, Kona Blue, Interior Charcoal /Grabber Blue ,6 speed MT, Comfort Group, ,Brembo Brakes , 3.73 Gears, Security Package, Shaker1000, Polk Speakers, CDC Chin Spoiler, JLT Oil Separator, Custom Grille layout, HID, Brenspeed 93 Tune /Steeda CAI , GT500 SVT Axle Backs
A new Beast in disguise…..
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Well a 2011 V6 with a new CAI, the right gear and a good tune might be surprising. No?

Em3
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redflame View Post

I know what the advertisements, magazines and stats say about the new v6 but... not a chance it would keep up with my mostly stock 08 GT.
And a stock 08 gt wouldnt really keep up with a "mostly" stock 08 gt either.

Now how about a "mostly" stock v6 '11 vs a "mostly" stock 08 gt, I bet you that would have a good chance of keeping up...

Ordered 1/12/11 Recieved 5/13/11: 2012 Mustang GT Premium, A/T, HID & Security, Comfort Pkg, 401A Brick Red & Cashmere Int, Black Ext, Remote Start, 15%/5% Ceramic Tint, Roush Axle-Backs, 3dCarbon GT500 spoiler, MGP Red 5.0 Caliper Covers, DG Auto Custom Quarter Window Scoops, Airaid CAI, Bama Tune.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Agreed, I am sure you can apply mods to the new 2011 v6 for hp gains. I beleive it is already cold air injected, so a good tune of course should improve performance.

Gears also would enhanse the feel in the car.

Again, if a person is looking for the latest technology along with a warrenty and great MPG, the 2011v6 is the right choice.

The 2005-08 GT's are pretty quick even stock and offer a great balance of hp, torque and MPG's

Blueblaze
2011 GT 5.0 Premium Coupe, Kona Blue, Interior Charcoal /Grabber Blue ,6 speed MT, Comfort Group, ,Brembo Brakes , 3.73 Gears, Security Package, Shaker1000, Polk Speakers, CDC Chin Spoiler, JLT Oil Separator, Custom Grille layout, HID, Brenspeed 93 Tune /Steeda CAI , GT500 SVT Axle Backs
A new Beast in disguise…..
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFury View Post
Actually the 2011 V6s WILL be as fast as the 05-10 GTs. There is a video of a v6 racing a 2010 GT, and the GT won... but only by a car length. And you have to remember a few things:

1. A girl was driving
2. It was an automatic
3. It didn't have the 3:73 gears
4. No performance package

The 2010 GT's 0-60 is rated around 5.1-5.2 sec. The new v6 with the performance package is rated at 5.1 seconds.

So yes the 2011 v6 performance pack is just as fast as the 2010 GT, even better on corners.

I take offense to the comment that a girl was driving...what type of comment is that? I am a 25 yr old female...who knows my cars and can smoke any man out there on the road or track! Not all women are bad at driving. Any time I race somebody..beat them...then roll down my dark tinted windows the man is always shocked that a female just beat them.

'66 Coupe 200 cu in | Candy Apple Red | Black Interior | Rally lights | A/C

'12 VW GTI 4 dr | DSG | Neuspeed P-flo intake | pushing 225 whp

SOLD '11 GT Prem Kona Blue | Saddle | Sec Pkg | Brembos | had many mods
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FST HRSY View Post
I take offense to the comment that a girl was driving...what type of comment is that? I am a 25 yr old female...who knows my cars and can smoke any man out there on the road or track! Not all women are bad at driving. Any time I race somebody..beat them...then roll down my dark tinted windows the man is always shocked that a female just beat them.
So what? That's like saying you can't say "men are better at math than women" because there are some women out there who can beat 99.8% of men at math.

That doesn't change the truth as applied to statistics/populations. I'm a 6'1" asian. That doesn't mean I'm under the delusion that I would "take offense" if someone told me "white people are taller than asian people". It would be a truth. The fact there are exceptions to the rule is already understood by most cogent adults.
PONY Member

Now THAT is changing a thread in the middle! Now it's males vs females!

Larry - SGM (Ret) US Army

2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible
Kona Blue, Stone Leather, Stone Top
6 Speed Auto, 2.73, Comfort Pkg, etc
PONY Member

You should buy an 05-09 GT! They are awesome, and speak of the devil I happen to know where one is for sale!

2004 SVT Cobra- Sold
2005 GT Premium- Sold
1990 GT Hatch- Sold
1989 GT Vert - Sold
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerstars View Post
So what? That's like saying you can't say "men are better at math than women" because there are some women out there who can beat 99.8% of men at math.

That doesn't change the truth as applied to statistics/populations. I'm a 6'1" asian. That doesn't mean I'm under the delusion that I would "take offense" if someone told me "white people are taller than asian people". It would be a truth. The fact there are exceptions to the rule is already understood by most cogent adults.
My comment was to point out that there are exceptions to the rule that girls don't know how to drive. It seemed to me that he was stating that because she's a girl she doesn't know how to race a car. From the video I am assuming that she's an enthusiast and that she knows how to race.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FST HRSY View Post
My comment was to point out that there are exceptions to the rule that girls don't know how to drive. It seemed to me that he was stating that because she's a girl she doesn't know how to race a car. From the video I am assuming that she's an enthusiast and that she knows how to race.
I think we should all be able to assume it wouldn't matter whether its a girl or a guy. We're talking about an Automatic V6! All anyone would have to do is step on the gas and drive straight. I kind of have the feeling the V6 Stang is not going to break em loose switching to third gear and be sliding all over the road. All I'm saying is that it doesn't matter who's driving!

As far as stereotypes are concerned.. The reason they exist is because they are generally true. Typically women aren't car enthusiasts and spend a lot of time roasting the tires like many men do. Doesn't mean they can't be, take a look at Danica Patrick and Ashley Force. People should not take offense to stereotypes unless the way they were delivered was meant to be offensive.

2004 SVT Cobra- Sold
2005 GT Premium- Sold
1990 GT Hatch- Sold
1989 GT Vert - Sold
Rookie

Here is a 09 with very low mileage

APR PERFORMANCE 2009 MUSTANG GT
PONY Member

I would definitely go for the GT because no matter how many mods are made to the '11 V6 it still will not sound as good as a stock '05-'10 GT. If you decided to do engine, gear, chassis, and suspension modifications to a '05-'10 GT then it will definitely beat other GT's.
If you don't have the cash to spare to get the new 5.0 then get one of those '10 GT's because you will definitely be able to swap out parts from the '11 (if you're even wanting to modify the engine).
If you are looking for better fuel economy then get that '11 V6 because no mustang has ever been able to get such great fuel economy and have that much horsepower.

Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C. View Post
Been tossing around the idea of getting another Mustang for awhile now. Up until this year I'd pretty much decided that I'd be getting a GT - a used one for reasons of affordability.

Now here comes the 2011 V6 with similar horsepower to the last GT for about the same price as a used GT around here.

So now, really the only argument for a used GT for me is that I've always been a fan of the V8 rumble, but it's getting hard to justify buying a used (probably abused) GT for the same price and similar performance of a brand spankin' new never-beaten-on V6 just for the engine sound.

What would you do?

I literally was pondering the same exact thing as you my friend.

I bought the V6 w/ 3:31, it is quick enough for me and handles great, I love it! It does not have the rumble of the V8, though it doesn't sound to bad for a sixer.

My plan is to possibly trade it in, in 5 yrs or so for a 2011-12 5.0. But to me the savings on insurance, payment and gas works for me right now. Good luck on your decision, let us know what you decide.

2011 V6, Pony Package, 3:31, Black on Black
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerstars View Post
You're nuts. The 05-09's look absolutely dated and blocky compared to the 2010+'s.

Everyone has different taste. I ordered a 2011, but I'll keep my 2006 because I like the looks just a little better.

2006 GT, FRPP drag pack, FRPP handling pack
2011 GT ordered 1/30, off the truck on 6/21

Black GT - 401a, Black/Cashmere interior
6 spd, spoiler delete, security package
3.73, HID, comfort package
Brembo brake package, Glass top
First mod - CS front fascia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page