Which would you buy: 2011 Mustang V6 or used 2005 - 2010 GT? - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerstars View Post
You're nuts. The 05-09's look absolutely dated and blocky compared to the 2010+'s.
I agree. I'll go farther though.... the Mustangs since the mid 70's all the way up to 2009 were just terrible! This will be my first American car in my life based on this 2010+ appearance. Thank you Ford for doing it right finally.

Bryce
---------
Track Rat #1 - VF supercharged e46 bimmer
Track Rat #2 - Kona 5.0 Premium | 3.73 MT82 | 400A | glass roof | saddle int. | Brembo Pkg | Com. & Sec. Pkg | camera | HID | Nav | no stripes | MM camberplates | Bilstein springs & Eibach dampers | Stock 368 RWHP @ 6700 / 354 TQ @ 4375 - Build Date 6-17-10
Sunny Day: Kawasaki 1600 with hypercharger and tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by redflame View Post
I drove a 2011 v6 with the performance package. I hate to break the news to anyone but there’s no way the new V6 could even come close to keeping up with my 2008 GT. I have a CAI and a Breenspeed tune and its torque curve and pull is much stronger and in a better place in the rpm band.
- Not doubting your claim, but how were you able to drive a V6 with the PP? Are you involved in some type of automotive journalism?

- Stereotypes exist for a reason. They didn't get pulled out of thin air is what I'm saying. No need to take offense, especially over the internet.

- As far as '09 vs '10, it's all subjective. I mean, I liked the '05-'09 body until the '10 model showed me how blocky the rear looked on the '05-'09. Sure, at first I thought the '10 looked ugly, but it's human nature to resist change. I saw a spoiler-less '10 Sterling Gray V6 convertible today from the back, and I don't see how people can call it ugly.

- As I said earlier, in the '10 GT vs '11 V6 video, the V6 had stock 2.73 gears, while the GT had stock 3.31 gears. Put 3.31 gears (which should have been stock, but Ford needed it to be 2.73 to get that 30+ mpg rating) and I'd say it would be very, very close.

Apprentice

Sorry. Double post when I tried to edit for spelling.

GT Member

I was reading the latest MotorTrend magazine and they had an extensive write up on all the pony cars. In the back, they had an article on their "long term" experience with a Mazda 6. The engine in the Mazda 6 had the exact SAME specs as the new Mustang V-6 (i.e. the same engine) with just a little less horsepower. No Mazda engines for me in my Mustang!
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks, everybody, for all the replies!

There are good arguments both ways, and I guess I won't really know what I want to do until I take a new V6 for a test drive.

One thing that's to my advantage is time. I currently have a few cars that are all drivable so I don't need to run out and buy another car just to have transportation. I've been without a Mustang longer than I wanted to be so I've got the bug to get another... but I can wait as long as I want for now 'till I decide what I really want to do.

I haven't ruled out waiting another year or two 'till I can afford a 5.0 either... which is what I'm leaning towards right now.
PONY Member
4.6L Member

If you're considering going back to the 05-09 body style, then I would recommend you look at an 03/04 Cobra.

The 05-09 is too pudgy and nice looking. The only new Mustang I would buy is the 10/11 body style.

If you're going to spend $28K on a car, then an 03/04 Cobra is going to be a hell of a lot more performance for your money. You can find them with under 10K miles for around $25K.

1993 LX Coupe
Show: Front 18x9 Black Bullit wheels, Rear 18x10 Black Bullitt deep dish wheels, Cervini's 2.5" Cowl hood, Autometer Phantom 10K tachometer, Autometer Ultra-Lite carbon fiber FP gauge
Go: GT40P Explorer motor, Edlebrock Performer intake, AFM 4" Power Pipe, TFS Stage 1, ProForm 1.6's,Granetelli 24lb MAF, MSD Blaster Coil + distrib, Taylor Pro wires, UDP's, GT40p long tube headers, o/r 2.5" H pipe, 2.5" cat back w/ Flowmaster 10 Series mufflers, 3.73s
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPONY View Post
I was reading the latest MotorTrend magazine and they had an extensive write up on all the pony cars. In the back, they had an article on their "long term" experience with a Mazda 6. The engine in the Mazda 6 had the exact SAME specs as the new Mustang V-6 (i.e. the same engine) with just a little less horsepower. No Mazda engines for me in my Mustang!
Engine produced by ford. Twin VCT new.
So what Ford should stick with the ancient iron 4.0? Get real.

2011 Mustang 5.0
-Black
-MT82 6 speed
-Brembo brakes
-GT coupe appearance pkg 5
-Steeda CAI
-LD Performance Custom tune
2011 Mustang MCA edition
GT Member

I think it depends on what your goals are as to which what car to get. If you want 300-350 flywheel hp either of the cars will get you there easily. If you want to make big power get the 05-10 GT. The V6 aftermarket will never offer the sheer amount of parts that will be available for the 4.6 3V engine.
If you get an 05-07 GT it wont have a warranty to ruin so mod away. I dont think I could throw a blower on a brand new car until after the 3rd year. Its one of the reason I did not get a 11GT. You kill the warranty and blow the engine it will be BIG bucks to get it fixed. I saw a 4.6 3V brand new shortblock for under $2K and for $3-5K you can get a forged offering that will swallow all the boost you can give it.

My other option was a 11 GT500 with a FRPP blower installed on delivery with complete warranty. That would of been the BEST deal ever. Too bad it would of been a $60K+ deal adn I cant justify that much coin for a car right now.

2005 Ford Mustang GT Torch Red Manual
Saleen Super Shaker 3.4 pulley/Brenspeed Tune
Kooks Longtubes Catted H/FRPP Stingers
Full BMR And Steeda Suspension
FRPP Throttlebody
Dynotech Driveshaft
SOLD!! I have no Mustang at this time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page