Ford Mustang Forum

Ford Mustang Forum (/forums/)
-   2011-2014 Mustang Talk (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-2014-mustang-talk/)
-   -   Exhaust and/or tuner (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-2014-mustang-talk/240759-exhaust-tuner.html)

USAFlyBoy165 06-11-2010 10:24 PM

Exhaust and/or tuner

I'm thinkin' about pullin' the trigger on some SLP Power-flo axle backs and/or an SCT tuner. Any suggestions on which I should get first or both or a particular product y'all favor? Thanks

Fast, Neat, Average...

sam i am 06-11-2010 10:55 PM

If the 5.0 exhaust is similar to the previous years, you won't gain much with a catback/axleback, unless you have headers and x or h pipe.
I'd go with a CAI/Tuner package first.
:)
That's my game plan.

USAFlyBoy165 06-11-2010 11:28 PM

I hear ya, but there is something to be said about the sound of a mean exhaust!!

sam i am 06-12-2010 02:15 AM

Indeed. I had the muffler shop take off both mufflers and replace with straight pipe and some nice double walled tips for $155, instead of $400 for an axleback.
:D
I've spent too much on cars over the years to waste $$ on axlebacks/catbacks that don't make power.
;)
Try a $1,200 cat-back for a C6 that only makes 6hp.... DOH!

srizo 06-12-2010 06:58 AM

My plan is to just get the mufflers for more of a deeper sound first and then look into the $$/benefits that comes with CAI/tuner

Flyboy 06 06-12-2010 10:23 AM

I recommend waiting a little for other people to do it, then watch their videos on youtube or streetfire. This is a brand new motor, no telling what exhaust will sound like. I have been listening to terminator exhaust, since that motor is a 4v like the new 5.0. But it is just an assumption that they will have a similar sound though.

As far as a tuner, SCT is definitely the way to go. If you can only get one, I would probably pick up the tuner first. Yes, the exhaust will help with looks, sound, and power. But the tuner will help a lot with power and how the car drives. Especially if you have an Auto. There are a good amount of end user parameters that allow you to adjust speed limiters, RPM limiters, idle RPM's, shift points, etc. And you can datalog with it to make tuning easier through email.