Exhaust and/or tuner - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Exhaust and/or tuner

I'm thinkin' about pullin' the trigger on some SLP Power-flo axle backs and/or an SCT tuner. Any suggestions on which I should get first or both or a particular product y'all favor? Thanks

Fast, Neat, Average...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010
Apprentice
S197 Member

If the 5.0 exhaust is similar to the previous years, you won't gain much with a catback/axleback, unless you have headers and x or h pipe.
I'd go with a CAI/Tuner package first.

That's my game plan.

2013 Boss 302 #974
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

I hear ya, but there is something to be said about the sound of a mean exhaust!!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010
Apprentice
S197 Member

Indeed. I had the muffler shop take off both mufflers and replace with straight pipe and some nice double walled tips for $155, instead of $400 for an axleback.

I've spent too much on cars over the years to waste $$ on axlebacks/catbacks that don't make power.

Try a $1,200 cat-back for a C6 that only makes 6hp.... DOH!

2013 Boss 302 #974
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010
Apprentice

My plan is to just get the mufflers for more of a deeper sound first and then look into the $$/benefits that comes with CAI/tuner
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010
Apprentice
S197 Member

I recommend waiting a little for other people to do it, then watch their videos on youtube or streetfire. This is a brand new motor, no telling what exhaust will sound like. I have been listening to terminator exhaust, since that motor is a 4v like the new 5.0. But it is just an assumption that they will have a similar sound though.

As far as a tuner, SCT is definitely the way to go. If you can only get one, I would probably pick up the tuner first. Yes, the exhaust will help with looks, sound, and power. But the tuner will help a lot with power and how the car drives. Especially if you have an Auto. There are a good amount of end user parameters that allow you to adjust speed limiters, RPM limiters, idle RPM's, shift points, etc. And you can datalog with it to make tuning easier through email.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page