Test drove a 2011 Mustang 5.0.... - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allentown View Post
We are arguing over syntax. I do consider 1 second to be a large difference, just not enough to account for the hype...which would lead one to believe they were producing chariots that you can ride to heaven in...have a cup of tea with Jesus Christ and then get dumped into a bed full of Pamela Anderson clones.

I stand corrected on the definition of the word 'huge"...but not on my opinion about the hype.

Also the problem comes in with our views of time and performance..you are looking at it from a strictly racing view which you should.

I made the MISTAKE of looking at it in the practical view where i have never seen someone walk into the office a second ahead of me and then FLIP out about how much later to work i was than him. lol

However, that was my mistake clearly.

YouTube - 2010 Mustang in the 12's

READ: STREET TIRES.

You stand corrected (on that point)

"
6 months ago
Yea lower control arm, the fog light removed because that is where the intake box is. The car still had the factory air filter, street tires, and the stock 3.73's. Awesome driver. Car just went 11.96 last month on full slicks and more mods but still stock longblock. "

12.96 ON STREET TIRES....11.96 ON SLICKS

There, i admitted where i was wrong..now i will wait for you to admit you were.

Your personal interpretation of the hype by expecting the ride off into heaven having a drink with Jesus is your own fault.

I nowhere in any place ever heard anything that hyped the car to that extent.

If you consider a 1 second difference to not live up to the hype, then you are on drugs.

Besides, for the 3rd time, I am looking at trap speeds that show the car's true power. Not ET's.

115mph vs that 2010's 107mph. 8 mph difference. If that 2010's run had the 5.0 in it, considering equal traction, launch, etc, it would have ran 12.2 seconds.

That is a very big difference.

It takes a hell of a lot more to go 12.8 from 13.5 (car averages) than it does from say... 16.0 to 15.0. or even 15.0 to 14.0

The car has 33% more power FCOL. Your expectation was clearly unrealistic.

That 2010's 11.9 run was with way more than just the addition of slicks. He trapped 113mph in that run. You can hear he had it cammed. Starting to get major mods for that time, where as the 5.0 does it with a CAI/tune and slicks. All else stock.

Fine. Street tires. I was wrong. But he had other mods to increase launch and traction, UCA and LCA and an X-pipe. The concept of increasing traction to gain that time wasn't a faulty assumption.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
5.0L Member

Bottom line the 5.0 just has too much going for it for me to even consider a 2010 GT.
A. Faster engine
B. 6 speed transmission
C. Electronic steering
D. Updated Suspension
E. Brembo brakes offered

etc.....

2011 Mustang 5.0
-Black
-MT82 6 speed
-Brembo brakes
-GT coupe appearance pkg 5
-Steeda CAI
-LD Performance Custom tune
2011 Mustang MCA edition
GT Member

I agree with Allentown. No doubt the 5.0 is cool. However, I'll take the proven reliability of the 4.6 over the not proven 5.0, at this point. I don't recall the 2010 models being on hold forever at Ramp 51 for "quality issues"!

Apprentice
S197 Member

just tested it myself for the first time today, thought the handling and feel were absolutely amazing. the road noise level was also minimal to none, only the drone and rumble of the exhaust--- made my 08 pony sound like its body was perforated and exposed to the outside!

The power is great from the get-go at around 1.5-2k rpm and only gets better. Cant afford one yet, but am sold on the 5.0 once i am ready in a year or so. There just is no other car like it. Sublimity in its purest form.

Kona Blue '12 5.0 - Borla ATAKs and Borla over-axles w/ BOSS h-pipe (no restrictor plates), 275 Michelin Pilot SuperSports on 19" RTR's
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFlyBoy165 View Post
... that really makes zero sense to me.... I owned a 2010 GT a few month before my 5.0 and I noticed a huge difference. If you were riding on stock gears that could be the reason, which most of the GTs are at this point to my disappointment... those 3.31 gears do NOT work to the 5.0s favor. If not, you should probably go get your ears checked, cause you're just not feeling what you're supposed to haha

Fast, Neat, Average...

Friendly, Good, Good

2011 GT Premium
Black/Black w/400A package
GT500 Front Fascia w/BMC Extreme Customs carbon fiber Black Mamba Hood
3.73s, manual, HIDs, Brembos
FRPP/Whipple 624 HP kit, Whipple 123mm Crusher Cold-Air, Kooks LT Headers w/Off-Road Connector
565 WHP / 465 WTQ Mustang Dyno
583 WHP / 480 WTQ DynoJet
Apprentice

It seems that some are taking this original thread a little too seriously. I understand his point. I test drove a 2010 cadillac CTS-V about 3 weeks ago that I felt the exact same way about. This car has a 556 HP supercharged 6.2L and does 0-60 in 3.9 with a 12.4 1/4 mile. This car ABSOLUTELY did not feel that fast seat of the pants when I drove it. I drove in "D" and also used the steering wheel paddles. The car, no doubt, was fast but certainly didn't garner the hype based on how it felt to me. With that being said, both the 2010 and 2011 mustangs are fine cars. Who cares if the 2011 is more powerful and a few 10ths quicker? The 2010 can be had cheaply with great financing now. The 2010 has more tha enough power for daily real world driving, i.e., passing, on ramps etc. Who street races anymore? Its not like the old days when you'd just get a ticket. Now, your car gets impounded on the spot. I just recently got rid of a 2008 Z06. Now, that car was fast and in a league of its own but after having it a short while, I realized that there was absolutely nowhere that I could utilize that power in a real world daily commute. I bought that car for the same fundamental reason that everyone is scrambling to get their hands on the new 2011 5.0; bragging rights; the type of car that you don't necesarilly have to go fast in because everyone knows that you can go fast. I ultimately sold the Z06 because I drove it no different than any other car I had owned and it just became a hassle as a daily driver. The clutch was too stiff. The suspension was too harsh. I had to have it when it came out though. It took me 2 years to convince my wife to let me buy it and then I wound up almost hating it. I just got my new 2010 GT and I absolutely love it! This is the nicest car I've owned in several years. This car is night and day difference with regard to quality/fit and finish compared to that Z06 and my current Corvette. The Electronics Package on this Mustang is reason enough to buy this car. With regard to the performance of the 2010 Mustang, a VW Beetle would beat me at a stoplight race becasue the VW would be racing by itself. I don't race so the power difference between the 2010/2011 Mustangs is not an issue for me. If that's your thing, then the 2011 is for you. Wishing everyone continued health and success and remember that everyone is entitled to their opinion.
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H82BSLO View Post
..... I don't race so the power difference between the 2010/2011 Mustangs is not an issue for me. If that's your thing, then the 2011 is for you......
Speed or power is not only factor... updated suspension, electronic stability control*, electronic steering, 6 speed transmission, brembo brakes*, etc.

*w/ brembo brake pkg.

Speed is just a small piece of a larger puzzle.

2011 Mustang 5.0
-Black
-MT82 6 speed
-Brembo brakes
-GT coupe appearance pkg 5
-Steeda CAI
-LD Performance Custom tune
2011 Mustang MCA edition
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORDMOPAR70 View Post
Speed or power is not only factor... updated suspension, electronic stability control*, electronic steering, 6 speed transmission, brembo brakes*, etc.

*w/ brembo brake pkg.

Finally..AN 11 owner who makes my point for me.

Speed is NOT the only factor. The 11 has the SAME suspension, the same advance trac stability control, and on my particular version....the entire Shelby GT 500 suspension, carbon fibor clutch plate, 19 insh summer tires (whic are NOT standard on the 11s), short shifter, improved aerodynamics, decresed wind noise as the 11s have..and is a few pounds lighter to boot.

Speed is just one SMALL piece of the puzzle indeed.

Thus why someone would not understand the hype going from the 10 to the 11.

Thank you!

I will conceded defeat on having a 6speed but not about the electronic steering..i much prefer (as did many of the reviewers..the very well tuned in hydraulic steering on the 10s)

Its also 94% as quiet as the 11s..(some say they made the 11s too quiet) so that negates the whole "nice ride/very comfy/very refined) piece of the hype also.

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPONY View Post
I agree with Allentown. No doubt the 5.0 is cool. However, I'll take the proven reliability of the 4.6 over the not proven 5.0, at this point. I don't recall the 2010 models being on hold forever at Ramp 51 for "quality issues"!

Based on that "logic", Ford built an inline 6 from 1965 to 1996, therefore that engines record of proven reliability trumps yours by several years. As a matter of fact, it ought to be enough for you to yank your 4.6l out tomorrow.

Good luck with your mighty 165 HP motor
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad4macs View Post
Based on that "logic", Ford built an inline 6 from 1965 to 1996, therefore that engines record of proven reliability trumps yours by several years. As a matter of fact, it ought to be enough for you to yank your 4.6l out tomorrow.

Good luck with your mighty 165 HP motor
That was not exactly the logic..obviously there are newer and faster engines which ALSO have already been in fabrication long enough to have the bugs worked out..i figure 12 to 18 months into production should be GOOD ENOUGH..no need to go back and look for the longest running production engine

And its not always JUST the engine but the car itself. My 05V6 used the already in production V6 but it would stall out if you tapped the gas hard and let off quickly..like when taking off from a stop sign but then realizing you needed to wait....the result was a total loss of power and difficult breaking while rolling out into an intersection in front of on-coming traffic..without power to hit it and get out of the way (can yo say sitting duck).... Took it to Ford 4 times.....NO ERRORs listed on the OBD-II computer.

So...i some what speak from experience... Also i had an 04 RX8....it would flood if you cranked it and then turned it off before letting it warm up. The oil would foam on the dip stick and turn to sludge in cold weather.

My 05 Durango has had to have nearly every piece of eletronic equipment it HAS replaced, and my 2008 Versa had a new transmission after 32K miles.

THERE ARE reasons to buy in the final year of production...believe me.

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORDMOPAR70 View Post

*w/ brembo brake pkg.

Again, you're talking about things that probably won't be too noticeable unless you're driving the car to the limit a la Frank Bullitt. During everyday driving, the 2010 makes right and left turns and comes to a rest at stoplights probably exactly the same as the 2011 does. Again, I don't think his original post was knocking the car, he was just saying that he didn't notice enough of a performance difference as he may have thought. BTW, the 2011 is an awesome car. So is the 2010 for that matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page