Test drove a 2011 Mustang 5.0.... - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Test drove a 2011 Mustang 5.0....

I test drove a 2011 5.0 today and I can say that I am not overally impressed with it. I have a 2005 GT and I really didn't think it was a HUGE difference in performance. Yes I could tell a difference and yes it was very nice. If I didn't have a mustang and looked to get one this would be my first choice. But for me I was not compelled to trade in my GT for the upgrade.

Anyone else with a GT drive a 5.0 and think this?

D.O.B Manifold, GT500 Fuel System, GT500 SC, Bassani Exhaust

SOS Dual Pillar Pod, Aeroforce & Roush Gauges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010
Apprentice

It's all subjective. It has about 100 more horsepower and more torque. So are you also unimpressed by your GT, then?

post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010
PONY Member
S197 Member

It may be how you will able to drive it. If you were stuck in normal traffic patterns, I would say yes, its about the same , and it handles a bit better. Steering feels a bit better and of course its a new car..

I have a 2008 Gt with CIA and tune. I drove one and was able to do some 1/4 mile like highway runs..I was on it so to speak. My opinion its different, no doubt about that for me anyway.

Blueblaze
2011 GT 5.0 Premium Coupe, Kona Blue, Interior Charcoal /Grabber Blue ,6 speed MT, Comfort Group, ,Brembo Brakes , 3.73 Gears, Security Package, Shaker1000, Polk Speakers, CDC Chin Spoiler, JLT Oil Separator, Custom Grille layout, HID, Brenspeed 93 Tune /Steeda CAI , GT500 SVT Axle Backs
A new Beast in disguise…..

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

It wasn't that it was not any different, I can tell a difference. It was that I guess I expected it to be much different. To me it was only a margianally better not exceptionally better.
For me the bottom line was when I was done driving it I wasn't running into the dealership to trade in my GT for one.

Looks like I am in the minority on this opinion though.

D.O.B Manifold, GT500 Fuel System, GT500 SC, Bassani Exhaust

SOS Dual Pillar Pod, Aeroforce & Roush Gauges
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010
Apprentice
S197 Member

... that really makes zero sense to me.... I owned a 2010 GT a few month before my 5.0 and I noticed a huge difference. If you were riding on stock gears that could be the reason, which most of the GTs are at this point to my disappointment... those 3.31 gears do NOT work to the 5.0s favor. If not, you should probably go get your ears checked, cause you're just not feeling what you're supposed to haha

Fast, Neat, Average...
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010
PONY Member

Does your 2005 run a 12 sec 1/4 mile?

1970 302 Grabber blue- First Mustang
2010 Mustang V6 Pony - Wifes ride
2011 GT Premium-3.73-manual-accessory pack 4-Candy Red, Roush axle back Exhaust.
First GT track night 13.38 @ 105, 60ft 2.047
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010
Apprentice
S197 Member

On a typical dealership test route, you may not have gotten much over 3k rpm. Open that thing up, and it's night and day.

2013 Boss 302 #974
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member

To each there own but i had an 08 before the 5.0 and it is like night and day in every category. The car is just better in every way!

2011 Premium Red Candy Mustang GT ( Delivered 5/24/10 )
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010
PONY Member
S197 Member

Agreed with Sam i am, Darkcandy, USA Flyboy

That was what I rode in my post early. I had basically open rode 1/4 mile runs, 4 times, shifts at around 6000-6300 , the thing was a beast...Never really got pass 4th gear in those runs

The other good point here was about the gears.. My 08GT has 3.55's and the one I drove had 3.73...

Believe me, I would not have order a 5.0 if I did not think there was a difference beside that fact it will be the most expense Stang I have ever owned..

Blueblaze
2011 GT 5.0 Premium Coupe, Kona Blue, Interior Charcoal /Grabber Blue ,6 speed MT, Comfort Group, ,Brembo Brakes , 3.73 Gears, Security Package, Shaker1000, Polk Speakers, CDC Chin Spoiler, JLT Oil Separator, Custom Grille layout, HID, Brenspeed 93 Tune /Steeda CAI , GT500 SVT Axle Backs
Apprentice
S197 Member

Big difference

My 2011 GT is a automatic with 3:15 gear. My 2007 Shelby GT was a stick with 3:55 gear, 2008 Bullitt as all were a stick with 3:73 gear, and my 2010 GT was a stick with trac pac 1 3:73 gear.
I had concerns about my expectations of the 2011 GT as I had driven a 2010 GT with automatic and 3:31 gear and did not care for it at all. The 4.6 with stick and optional gear combo was real nice but.
This 5.0 is completely different. Feels like it has a 4:10 gear when on the throttle and lots more horsepower. I am still on my first tank of regular and 250 miles. May see even more out of it after 1000 mile break in and premium fuel. I really wanted an automatic and feel like this was the way for me to go.
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteshelby49 View Post
My 2011 GT is a automatic with 3:15 gear. My 2007 Shelby GT was a stick with 3:55 gear, 2008 Bullitt as all were a stick with 3:73 gear, and my 2010 GT was a stick with trac pac 1 3:73 gear.
I had concerns about my expectations of the 2011 GT as I had driven a 2010 GT with automatic and 3:31 gear and did not care for it at all. The 4.6 with stick and optional gear combo was real nice but.
This 5.0 is completely different. Feels like it has a 4:10 gear when on the throttle and lots more horsepower. I am still on my first tank of regular and 250 miles. May see even more out of it after 1000 mile break in and premium fuel. I really wanted an automatic and feel like this was the way for me to go.
Dude i agree. Mine is an auto also. Just wait for a good tune and the thing will really run hard and shift points will be firmed up and bumping the rev limiter by several hundred rpm . A tune, full exhaust, and CAI ought to show gains of 40 to 50-ish or more RWHP.

2011 Premium Red Candy Mustang GT ( Delivered 5/24/10 )
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTerror View Post
I test drove a 2011 5.0 today and I can say that I am not overally impressed with it. I have a 2005 GT and I really didn't think it was a HUGE difference in performance. Yes I could tell a difference and yes it was very nice. If I didn't have a mustang and looked to get one this would be my first choice. But for me I was not compelled to trade in my GT for the upgrade.

I work in a dealer & have been interested in the mustang since 2005. Been driving them every year, but was never impressed by the speed nor the ride. Finally liked the way the 2010 rode enough to deal with the lack of speed & was just about to get one ,then heard about the 5.0 and waited. World of difference in power. Even the ride was a big difference starting 2010. My opinion.

Steve
2011 sterling gray GT Premium, Brembo,3.73,Glass roof,comfort,6spd STD.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Greenterror,

Maybe you should consider trying to find another 5.0 you can test drive with a 6 speed and 3.73 gears.

Hopefully you can find a road that you can go through the gears and bring up the rev's..

I'm pretty sure you will feel the difference..

oh yes, the Brembo brake package is also a plus. The one I drove had that option also and the car handled much better then my 08 GT

Blueblaze
PONY Member
V6 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ChaosFury
If you don't think the 5.0 is a great machine(performance wise), then you don't deserve to drive one. It has 100 more horsepower, 65 more torque. better aerodynamics, better suspension, a live axle that outperforms the maro's IRS and a redline of 7000 rpms! And best of all you can get the package for less than $40k!

Elenora. Watch out, she may kick.

2012 GT Premium: Race red - automatic - 3:31 gears - HID headlights - all weather 19" Pirelli tires - Roush axle-back exhaust, GT/CS Spoiler. Coming soon: quarter panel & rear window louvers
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTerror View Post

The parking brake is supposed to be in the down position.

Mine has 3.31 rear end gears and a 2010 GT was no contest; taking candy from a baby.

2011 Mustang 5.0
-Black
-MT82 6 speed
-Brembo brakes
-GT coupe appearance pkg 5
-Steeda CAI
-LD Performance Custom tune
2011 Mustang MCA edition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page