2011 Mustang GT wheels and snow tires? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via MSN to fox_granit
2011 Mustang GT wheels and snow tires?

concidering this will be my everyday driver, I was wanting to know what kind of wheels and snow tires I should be getting. I've taken my V6 through a Midwest Blizzard without going out going off the road, but I want to make sure my wife and I are taken care off durring that time. BTW I've got to go CHEAP on this.....2 sets of them, good lord.......:kooky:

2x 2011 GT Premiums, 401a, #4 package, tint and stripes

Yeah owning two 5.0s is awesome, but you want to know what's better?
Having a wife who knows how to drive them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010
PONY Member

Did you check out www.tirerack.com for some ideas? They have a winter tire/wheel section that gives reccomendations for specific vehicles.

2011 Kona Blue/Charcoal GT, 400A Premium,6sp MT, HID's, Security Package, Comfort Package, 3.73's, Koni SRT/SteedaSports+Panhard, GT500 Mufflers
'06 Mazda Tribute,'05 Honda ST1300
'03 Yamaha FZ1000 '98 '00 '02 '04 Ford Expedition
'93 Buick Regal '90 Ford Explorer '87 F-250HD Diesel
'85 Yamaha FJ1100 '83 Honda NightHawk 650
'80 Olds Cutlass '70 Ford LTD
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

You are going to drive your 2011 gt in snow? Why not save the money u will spend on winter tires and buy a Crappy winter car. I drive a 99 civic. Why drive ur baby in the snow... just my 2 cents!

Black 2005 GT 5 speed. JBA headers,BBK cai,SCTx3 tuner with 93 octane race tune,ford racing lowering springs,ford racing strut tower brace,18 inch foose rims, and other lil nik naks....

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flesch05gt View Post
You are going to drive your 2011 gt in snow? Why not save the money u will spend on winter tires and buy a Crappy winter car. I drive a 99 civic. Why drive ur baby in the snow... just my 2 cents!

A. my Place only has two places to park cars indoor, one for me and one for my wife. We have break ins all the time over here.

B. I have to drive something reliable cause my job requires me to drive around KC, 65 miles this week alone. a $1,500 car ain't going to make it around in 5 to 10 inches of snow.......

post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010
Apprentice

Planning on doing the same thing, I'm interested to see what a good winter tire is.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010
Apprentice

I also will be driving my mustang in winter. I have 2 car garage. 1 spot for me and 1 for wife. I bet the mustang will be good with snow tires.

Anyone think the all seasons can handle snow? I was thinking of giving it a try.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010
Apprentice

I've been very happy with Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60s. I'd go with Nokian WGR2s for all season tire if someone really wanted to run them year round with emphasis on snow driving. You might get by with regular all-seasons, but take a quick look at your insurance deductible. Money spent on winter tires will prevent you from blowing your deductible when you slide and scratch someone's paint(that's all it takes nowadays).

I'm not sure on size restrictions with the GT, but I drop down to a smaller wheel - OEM, cheap alloy, or steelie(they'll take abuse) so tires are cheaper, larger sidewall to protect against potholes and other winter hazards. Thinner tires cut through snow better and increase the front to back contact patch size.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010
Apprentice

Anyone knows if we can put 17inches wheels in the 2011 GT?
Tirerack says yes, but I'm not sure.
That would be my preferred option for the winter.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010
Apprentice

Michellin pilot A/S. I have had them on my last 3 cars and will be one of the first things I put on my 11 GT one. I have them on my BMW M3 this past winter. We had 3 huge storms and the only thing that stopped me was ground clearance. Up to 6-8 inches of snow was not a problem.

There are pricey but you can use them year round and I usually get 40 - 50 K on the fronts. Sometimes a little less on the rears
PONY Member
V6 Member

My plan is to go with 4 Firestone Winterforce Tires

2011 V6 Mustang - Premium
Sterling Gray Metallic, Charcoal Black
Automatic, 2.73 Rear
Comfort Package, Camera
AM/BAMA 93R Tune, K&N Drop-In, Roush Axle Back
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Thanks guys, this is a great place to start!

Apprentice

Just posting this info for later review.

Type Four-wheel power disc brakes with 4-sensor,
4-channel anti-lock braking system (ABS)

Front 336 (13.2 in) x 36 mm vented discs,
twin-piston 43-mm floating aluminum calipers

Rear 300 (11.8 in) x 19 mm vented discs,
single-piston 43-mm floating iron calipers
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propaganda13 View Post
I've been very happy with Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60s. I'd go with Nokian WGR2s for all season tire if someone really wanted to run them year round with emphasis on snow driving. You might get by with regular all-seasons, but take a quick look at your insurance deductible. Money spent on winter tires will prevent you from blowing your deductible when you slide and scratch someone's paint(that's all it takes nowadays).

I'm not sure on size restrictions with the GT, but I drop down to a smaller wheel - OEM, cheap alloy, or steelie(they'll take abuse) so tires are cheaper, larger sidewall to protect against potholes and other winter hazards. Thinner tires cut through snow better and increase the front to back contact patch size.
X2

Blizzak WS-60s and steel/smaller wheels should get you where you need to go. I wouldn't even opt for all seasons - go for a dedicated snow tire and drive with confidence through the harshest conditions (including ice).
PONY Member
S197 Member

16" will probably not be big enough to get clearance for the brakes, will it?
Rookie

if I drive my stang this winter (getting it in november) I will use the stock 18" rims as snows. I will sell the stock tires to help offset the price of the snows. Over the winter Im going to buy a set of aftermarket wheels anyway so this makes sense to me.

88' LX Notch-306, HCI, N2o, custom paint, DECH skirts and the rest of the usual stuff. SOLD!

2011 Grabber blue 5.0 ordered!- cancelled, ford you take too damn long to build these cars

2006 torch red GT- Magnaflow axle back, conical filter, sct tune, steeda control arms, eibach springs, 20" rims.more to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page