2011 Mustang GT Test Drive! - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

2011 Mustang GT Test Drive!

hey guys, as you know my GT is not moving in flat rock still, well I had a back up car I had another dealer to order for me and they said if I did not buy they would use it for stock! Anyway I got to drive it today, I have my 4.6 10 GT I am trading. The first thing I noticed was a nice exhaust note under throttle WOW is all I can say it sounds that good! Quiet at idle like everyone has stated before, nothing a axle back wouldn't take care of! Now on the on ramp I punched it seemed just like my 4.6 I noticed it did not slam me too hard into the seat, but top end seems a little bit better than the 4.6. Now let me mind you that the car only had 5 miles on it! Will I feel a difference once she gets broken in? I did have the traction control on, I am wondering if I was spinning some and the traction control was kicking in, I could not hear it spinning, because the dang car is so quiet! Love the quietness of the interior also. Anyways I enjoyed it, and am going back on Monday, with X-plan since the dealer does not want to match my other dealers price that I ordered the other 11 Gt at. My main concern is will she wake up some more with miles and maybe the traction switched off, let me mind you this car also had the crappy 18's on it, I am going to tell them I'll buy if the put the 19's on and give me the strut tower brace!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010
Apprentice
S197 Member

My '11 definately has more pull in the upper RPM's than my '10 did, even with an axleback, JLT and a tune. You just need to turn off the T/C and find a nice stretch of road.
I don't think they'll throw in $1,300 in extras on X-plan, since that price is set by Ford, not the dealer.

Good luck with your purchase!

2013 Boss 302 #974
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010
PONY Member

Thumbs up 2011 gt 5.0

CONGRATS on deciding to buy your "back-up" 'Stang rather than waiting on the car you initially ordered. I agree the '11 Stang has a nice throaty deep sound to it once you give it some throttle and at lower RPM's under normal driving and at idle it is pretty subdued.

What tranny and gear ratio are you running in your 2010? Also, what tranny and gear ratio is in the 2011 GT? I think this may have something to do with the way it feels since the new 2011 manual tranny is lower geared than the 2010. Also, I believe once the 11 'Stang is broke in it should settle into its broad powerband and pull much harder thank your 2010 GT. I also think the driving dynamics of the 11 GT is noticeably improved as compared to the 2010 GT and the 2008-2009 Bullitt.

I hope this helps and please keep us updated on your decision and post some pics of your new beast! Take care and good luck to you! Jack

Black 2011 Mustang GT 5.0, Vortech 20th Anniversary Edition black finish V-3 Si-Trim S/C with air-to-air charge cooler, 6-Spd Manual, 3.73's, Brembo's, HID's, Custom Dyno Tune by Monty Johnson of JMS Chip & Performance, Kooks 1 ¾” Custom Long Tube Headers with Kooks High-Flow Race Cats & Kooks Unique X-Pipe, Magnaflow 3" Street Series Cat-Back with 5 X 8 X 14in. Dual Mufflers, Dual 4" Polished Tips, Barton shifter, Dynotech aluminum one-piece 3.5” driveshaft, Steeda Billet Rear LCA's.

Last edited by BADBOYTOY; 06-19-2010 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Spelling Error

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010
PONY Member

I picked up my Stanginator on Wednesday and now have 125 miles on it.... I gotta tell you its love at first sight! Oh yeah I had to wait over a month after my promised date of 5/12 and the build date was 5/3/10.

2011 5.0 Mustang Premium Convertible Sterling Grey, 6 spd Manual, Comfort package, Hood Scoop and rear Pedestal Spoiler, GT500 mufflers, GT500 mud flaps, mini antenna, red caliper covers, Boss shift ball and boot, LED trunk lights, Locking GAS Fuel Plug CAP. Ordered 3/30/2010, build date 5/3/2010. delivered 6/16/2010 car still running in perfect condition.
. :kooky:
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Hey guys, thanks for the input, heres is the options that were on the car it was an Automatic 3:15 ratio, and the tranny in my 10 GT is a 3:31 Auto, would this make that much of a difference is the 10 Gt going to have that extra jump because of the gearing and then the 11 GT pulls away in the higher end? I wouldn't think so since the 11 V6 was almost neck and neck with the 10 Gt I thought the 11 Gt would have blown away everything I thought about my 4.6 being quick! Anyway I love the car though going back tommrrow with the X plan will upload pics if I get it! Anymore suggestions to why the 5.0 felt similar to my 4.6?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010
PONY Member

Thumbs up

Hello Blubyu, I don't think the gears have much to do with the comparable performance of the 10 GT and the 11 GT since both are auto tranny cars. However, I am not sure what the gearing in the 6 spd auto tranny is in the 11 GT compared to the 5 spd auto in your 10 GT. Were you able to drive the 11 GT on the highway above 3,500 RPM's all the way up to around 6,000 RPM's? I have driven both cars (10 & 11 GT's with auto) and I can tell you the 11 GT is quicker due obviously to at least an additional 97 HP and 65 lb-ft of additional torque. I guarantee you (stock vs stock) the 2011 GT is quicker and will trap at a much higher speed than a 201 GT.

I also believe the car is just not all about speed. Which I do LOVE speed trust me on this one! I also believe this new 2011 GT 5.0 is not only the smoothest, quietest, best handling, most responsive car I have ever driven and I have owned three Shelby Mustang's as well. You cannot go wrong with this car IMO. I wish you the VERY best with your decision and I hope my experience(s) helps you. Take care and please post pics when you buy your new baby! Jack

Black 2011 Mustang GT 5.0, Vortech 20th Anniversary Edition black finish V-3 Si-Trim S/C with air-to-air charge cooler, 6-Spd Manual, 3.73's, Brembo's, HID's, Custom Dyno Tune by Monty Johnson of JMS Chip & Performance, Kooks 1 ¾” Custom Long Tube Headers with Kooks High-Flow Race Cats & Kooks Unique X-Pipe, Magnaflow 3" Street Series Cat-Back with 5 X 8 X 14in. Dual Mufflers, Dual 4" Polished Tips, Barton shifter, Dynotech aluminum one-piece 3.5” driveshaft, Steeda Billet Rear LCA's.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Hey Jack, I really appreciate your help, i noticed lat night my 10 GT falls a little flat once around 80 whereas the 11 GT kept on pulling, it was just the acceleration at lower RPMs, I loved the 11 GT the new electric power steering is great! I will defiantly keep you and the guys posted! Going to dealer tommrrow let me ask you guys this this car does not have the 19's like I wanted and ordered on my other car that has not shipped, the dealer told me they could order me a set and put the strut tower brace on for me. With X plan does anyone know how much the 19's should cost me? And would I get to only pay the difference if I trade my rims in? The stock 18's that are on the car
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

oh yea I wanted to also know if this is a good price, car's MSRP is $34,696 and they said X plan would be $30,700 does that sound about right I also have the Coupons too!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Hey Jack, I really appreacite your knowledge and helpfulness, I noticed last night my 10 GT falls flatter in the power band around 80MPH and up whereas the 11 GT just keeps pulling. I was just wondering about the break in if I will feel a difference in the lower RPM Range with T/C off. I am going to the dealer tomrrow with X plan pricing does this sound right? MSRP is 34,696 and X plan brings it too $30,700. I also have my coupons that are not incorperated into that price. Now this car does not have the 19's like I wanted but dealer told me he could order 19's and put the strut tower brace on, does anyone know how much the 19's with X plan pricing should cost me? Im trying to make sure I get the best pricing available the car is a 11 GT Premium Auto Transmission and thats all. Does that sound like a fair price? The other dealer quoted me $30,295 before Tax and Tags, but that car seems like it is not going to make it here for awhile. arghh,
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

arghh sorry I re typed everything it posted but did not show up! Sorry:smilie
Rookie

Just wondering...........if you change out the wheels from 18" to 19", will you need a speedo recalibration?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I am not sure? Anyone else know if this would affect the speedo? I was just relying on the dealer to know how to handle all of that, but ccbusa has me thinking now.
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADBOYTOY View Post
Hello Blubyu, I don't think the gears have much to do with the comparable performance of the 10 GT and the 11 GT since both are auto tranny cars. However, I am not sure what the gearing in the 6 spd auto tranny is in the 11 GT compared to the 5 spd auto in your 10 GT. Were you able to drive the 11 GT on the highway above 3,500 RPM's all the way up to around 6,000 RPM's? I have driven both cars (10 & 11 GT's with auto) and I can tell you the 11 GT is quicker due obviously to at least an additional 97 HP and 65 lb-ft of additional torque. I guarantee you (stock vs stock) the 2011 GT is quicker and will trap at a much higher speed than a 201 GT.

I also believe the car is just not all about speed. Which I do LOVE speed trust me on this one! I also believe this new 2011 GT 5.0 is not only the smoothest, quietest, best handling, most responsive car I have ever driven and I have owned three Shelby Mustang's as well. You cannot go wrong with this car IMO. I wish you the VERY best with your decision and I hope my experience(s) helps you. Take care and please post pics when you buy your new baby! Jack
Its 55lbs more of tq not 65. (Premium is recommended for both, the 10 has 335ft/lbs of tq on premium).

Obviously the 11Gt will have a little more pull down low and should be NOTICABLY faster when stomping it at speed....the faster you are going when you stop that 11...the more you will notice the difference between the 11 and the 10. Thats the "v-tech" working for you. If you were chasing an 11 you would be a couple car lengths back and that would grow as the speeds increase/race goes on. If you are going just by "feel" and you had a geared 10...you might not be able to tell..if you were clocking it the results would be obvious.

However i dont get what everyoen says about the driving dynamics..the 10s and 11s have the same suspension nearly. I guess becasue mine is a track pack model i cant tell the difference when i drove the 11...but i suppose it is noticable improved over the non track pack 10s.

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
PONY Member
4.6L Member

If you have the auto turn the TC and Advancetrac off as it makes a big difference.

2011 Premium Red Candy Mustang GT ( Delivered 5/24/10 )
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccbusa09 View Post
Just wondering...........if you change out the wheels from 18" to 19", will you need a speedo recalibration?
No speedo recalibration is required as long as you use the appropriate lower profile tires on the 19 in wheels. Then the tire outside diameter is almost exactly the same.

2011 GT Coupe - candy red, auto, all the options
Mods - Roush supercharger, FRPP Sport axle-back mufflers, Forgestar CF5 gloss black staggered wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page