If not for a mustang, what would you buy? - Page 4 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Hmmm....

I've probably been playing around with the idea of getting a new car for about two years before finally ordering my GT back in April, and I considered quite a few different cars from different categories...

- Infiniti G35/37S 6MT sedan - I loved the way the car looked inside and out, and more than quick enough to be fun, and handled almost like a Nissan Z (not surprising, since the two cars share the same platform), yet had all the practicality of a 4-door sedan. The only thing that turned me off was the stock exhaust note and the horrendous method Infinti groups their option packages together (one option in one package I wanted would require me to select another package which had options I DIDN'T want), where checking two option boxes jacked the price up by almost $10k...no thanks.

- Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 - I was genuinely surprised by this car once I saw it in person. I'm not a fan the of the stock grille, but overall the exterior looked very sleek to me, and the interior didn't look too bad either (though still a bit on the cheap side). When driving the car it handled quite well, IMO better than my '06 GT, although it came up short in power/acceleration. Also liked the exhaust note, IMO better than VQ35/37 engines. In the end, the coupe just didn't have enough power to satisfy more, and paying $30+k for the Track version with Brembos and sportier suspension didn't sit too well with me (but, if they could somehow fit the 4.6L V-8 from the Genesis sedan or the upcoming 2.0L 274hp turbo four for the Sonata, I'd be considerably more interested)

- Nissan 370Z - I liked the small size of the car, and loved most of the layout of the cockpit. Also impressed by the handling and acceleration. But, like the infiniti, I didn't care for the sound of the VQ-series engine, and as a car I would use as a daily driver, completely impractical. Also, although I found the car quite comfortable once inside of it, getting in and out was literally a tremendous pain for me, due to my bad back.

- Dodge Challenger R/T - Never got to drive one, but love the styling of the car. Also liked the amount of interior room, but the dash layout seemed a bit too plain IMO. Nor did I care for the overall size and weight of the car. Also didn't like that I had to pay $1000 just to row my own gears.

- Honda Fit/Ford Fiesta - Yup, you read that right. Nope, I'm not kidding. There was a (thankfully brief) time where I considered getting out of the performance car game altogether and just wanted simple, economical, A-to-B transportation.

- Chevrolet Camaro SS - If there was no 5.0/6M available for 2011, this would've been the car I'd most likely buy. Not too crazy about the rear styling, or that the designers obviously placed form over function overall. Still, I do like the overall styling, and though I was really underwhelmed by the interior styling and lack of visibility and headroom (at least in moonroof-equipped cars), I liked the ride characteristics over bumpy roads thanks to the IRS, loved the power/torque/sound of the LS3 (still doesn't sound quite as good as the 5.0, though IMO) and for a car that weighed around 3900lb I thought it handled, accelerated and stopped quite well. In the end, the interior, lack of visibility and dealers unwilling to sell at/under invoice is what scratched the Camaro from my list.

Currently...
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack (Ivory White Pearl Tri-coat, Leather Interior Grp, Driver Convenience Grp, 8A)
Gone
2011 Ford Mustang GT Premium (Sterling Gray Metallic, HIDs, Security pkg., Brembo pkg., 3.55s, 6M)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member

Having no Mustang option would really suck. However, if it were so, I'd likely have to get a Camaro for or Vette for my toy. I know everyone will bash those options. However, although I like the looks of the Challenger, I'm not sold yet on the Hemi that I have (2010 300C) for a pony/sports car application. It is fine in the sedan. The Camaro and Vette have a proven big power maker. I'm not interested in any of the foreign sports cars, except for maybe a Porsche, which is a ridiculous amount of money for a car in my opinion.

GT Member
S197 Member

I'd go for a Dodge Challenger SRT8, the blue version. Saw another yesterday and it is sick; just don't want to pay the price for the weight it carries when Mustangs do exist.

Other than that, maybe a Mazda3Speed

2019 GT - Velocity Blue with Black Accent Package

Apprentice
S197 Member

Car and Driver was impressed, but said to wait for the next gen version to solve remaining drivetrain problems, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontmatr View Post

- Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 - I was genuinely surprised by this car once I saw it in person. I'm not a fan the of the stock grille, but overall the exterior looked very sleek to me, and the interior didn't look too bad either (though still a bit on the cheap side). When driving the car it handled quite well, IMO better than my '06 GT, although it came up short in power/acceleration. Also liked the exhaust note, IMO better than VQ35/37 engines. In the end, the coupe just didn't have enough power to satisfy more, and paying $30+k for the Track version with Brembos and sportier suspension didn't sit too well with me (but, if they could somehow fit the 4.6L V-8 from the Genesis sedan or the upcoming 2.0L 274hp turbo four for the Sonata, I'd be considerably more interested)

2011 Mustang V-6 Premium Convertible, 5-11-2010. Paid $800 on 09-19-14 to replace hood with paint bubbles, traded car for a Chrysler later same day
lug
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmateer View Post
Car and Driver was impressed, but said to wait for the next gen version to solve remaining drivetrain problems, etc.

Speaking of which, I just saw this on a nother forum.....

Hyundai 5.0 to take on Mustang with 429 horsepower? — Autoblog
PONY Member

I need a 4 seater for the occasional kid passengers so Vette and 370z were out. Looked at G8 GT(nice powertrain, not so great interior), CTS-V(expensive) and G37x.

Received 7/2/10: 11' GT base with 3.73,
Installed: Steeda CAI, SCT, Steeda tune, GT500 axlebacks, SVT leather wheel, Infinity Kappas, Boston amp, Bazooka powered sub, yellow fog light bulbs, dark front corner lights, GT500 splash guards, tint, SVE Drift matte 18"x9" wheels with 265/40s and SVE 1" drop springs, Koni Yellow, HP+ pads, brake duct coolers with CS front lower and splitter
Bought and soon to be installed: Edelbrock E-force stage 2
Stable: 14 SHO, 10 Road Glide
Apprentice

BMW 335 Coupe or C6.

I would never own another Nissan product after my 2005 and 2006 Frontiers. Had I not had so much trouble with Nissan I might have considered a 370Z but prefer the 335 or C6.

Greg

2011 Mustang GT Premium Coupe 6-Speed Manual
Performance White/Charcoal with 401A and Grabber Blue Stripe
HID's, Security Package, 3.55, Brembos
Ordered 5-18, VIN 5-25, Window Sticker 6-02, Spawned 06-09-10, Delivered 07-03-10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page