If not for a mustang, what would you buy? - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

If not for a mustang, what would you buy?

So, I started thinking about this question as I was learning more about the new mustang, reading all the reviews I could find, reading all the pony car vs sports car vs muscle car arguments in the forums, reading comments about track cars vs daily drivers, etc.

It's particularly interesting since the automotive press when reviewing the new mustang seems to think there are only three cars in the world: The Mustang, the Camaro, and the Challenger. Or, that readers that want pony cars would never consider sports cars, and vice versa. Is there really that big of a difference any more in the less than $40-50,000 price range? It just seems to be a pretty narrow view of the car world to me. Doesn't the mustang also compete with the Hyundai Genesis coupe, 370Z, etc.?

In the end, of all these cars and more, I landed on the Mustang....the 5.0 engine, practicality, and many other factors put it head and shoulders above everything else in my price range. But I'm curious, what other cars would you all be considering if not for a Mustang?

2011 GT premium, Red metallic, black interior, 19" wheels, manual transmission, 3.55 ratio, electronics and comfort packages, camera, HID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

hands down I would get an evo, I will always love those cars. I almost bought one b4 my mustang but It worked out better for the mustang. the 370z would def. appeal to me if only it had back seats.

2010 Performance White Mustang GT
FRRP Hot Rod Cams, CAI+Tune, longtube headers, Steeda intake delete plugs, Spec stage 2 clutch and flywheel, SLP LM, 3.73 gears, hurst short throw, steeda LCA, Steeda sport springs, gt500 struts, Powerslot rotors, and a bunch of appearance mods
324rwhp 308tq
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010
Apprentice

still dreaming

2011 Camaro with heads up display

Aston Martin DB9 ( ok i am dreaming)

Jaguar XK8 ( still dreaming)

Mini Cooper, the fast one....

There can be only 1

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010
Banned
V6 Member

Send a message via AIM to 05horse Send a message via MSN to 05horse Send a message via Yahoo to 05horse
i wouldent mind a corvette, a nice trans am ( other than my 77 ) or the new supercharged camaro....but with a diff gauge cluster.

i could also do a challenger or a dodge with a hemi or cummins
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010
Apprentice
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Probably a Challenger SRT8...

2013 BOSS 302 #0167
School Bus Yellow
Recaro/Torsen
BOSS car cover & floor mats
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010
BOSS Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Rockin' Blue's
Dodge Challenger SRT8 Sublime green, I have seen this up close and personal and it is beautiful
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sublime_green_challenger.jpg
Views:	9085
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	102170  

[LEFT]"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government " Thomas Jefferson

There's another old saying, Senator: Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining
( Outlaw Josey Wales )

My Ride : " Buster " 2007 Vista Blue GT
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010
PONY Member
V6 Member

Well here goes. We had a 04 Toyota Highlander, a great vehicle by any measure, thought we would keep it forever but got tired of it. So... it came down to a Ford Mustang or a loaded Toyota Corolla Sport. Mustang won out. You can all laugh but that is the truth.

2011 V6 Mustang - Premium
Sterling Gray Metallic, Charcoal Black
Automatic, 2.73 Rear
Comfort Package, Camera
AM/BAMA 93R Tune, K&N Drop-In, Roush Axle Back
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010
Rookie
S197 Member

If it wasn't for the Mustang I would have gotten the 2011 370z Nismo package. I love the 370z but I'm much happier with my Mustang.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psybadek View Post
If it wasn't for the Mustang I would have gotten the 2011 370z Nismo package. I love the 370z but I'm much happier with my Mustang.
Yep, the 370z appeals to me too. No back seats though - and heck, I need somewhere to stick my mother-in-law for short jaunts across town - she wouldn't look too good strapped across the hood. (just kidding mom!) :smilie

2011 GT premium, Red metallic, black interior, 19" wheels, manual transmission, 3.55 ratio, electronics and comfort packages, camera, HID
Rookie
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_C View Post
Yep, the 370z appeals to me too. No back seats though - and heck, I need somewhere to stick my mother-in-law for short jaunts across town - she wouldn't look too good strapped across the hood. (just kidding mom!) :smilie
lol I didn't buy the Mustang to drive people around. It's for me and occasionally my wife for us to drive around. =D If we wanna drive multiple people somewhere, we get them in the Mariner.
Apprentice

I would not buy a Government Motors car after all the bail out crap. GM has been put on my no buy list.

I bought Ford because they worked through their difficulties unlike the others who took a hand-out. Poorly managed company doesn't say much for their vehicle.

I probably would have gotten a F-150 if I didn't get the Stang. 8-9k rebates on the 2010 F-150's right now. New Taurus looks friggin sweet too.
Apprentice

I was looking at the 370Z and BMW 135i before deciding to get the mustang. The 135 can get a good amount of extra hp from just a tune since it's twin turbo'd, but it's still not as nice as the 5.0.
Apprentice

Either the 370z or a cheap used Ford Ranger. I might still get the Ranger next year to keep some miles of the Mustang.

There's know way I would have stepped into a GM dealership though. I've already been forced to give them my money (by my government).
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I would have just kept my 08 Mazda 3. Handled good and up in the mountains it was beating cars that were a lot more expensive than it in the corners. Plus 30 MPG is still not anything to sneeze at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EECMMGTGTOTD006.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	102177  

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
Apprentice

I very temporarily considered the BMW 135 but thanks to high maintenance costs and knowing people with bad BMW experiences I threw that idea out quickly.

Next came the 370z. I was all prepared to get one and then I was actually allowed to test drive one. The car performed great. One problem I couldn't get over, though. I am 6'4" and my head was in constant contact with the roof with the seat all the way down and back. Having to hunch to see out the windows was also too much.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page