Thinking about a convertible.....wear question...>> - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thinking about a convertible.....wear question...>>

I'll be ordering a 2011 GT as soon as I get my 370Z sold. Thinking about the possibilities of a convertible and have some questions from those of you with experience here..

Sunday, cruising the car lots I observed a 2005 with 2 obvious wear/rub marks on either side of the top.. Rubbed through the vinyl and almost throught the cloth. I know the cloth tops like used on the GT are of better quality, but my question is this: Is this normal? Can I, with normal use, expect to have to replace a top every 5-6 years? I can imagine this is multi thousands of $$ to do.

Those with experience weigh in please!

Thanks!

Steve
2011 GT in Performance white | 3.73's | FRPP "P" springs on D specs | Fays2 Watts Link | Brembo's | Steeda CAI/Tune | FRPP "X" into GT500 muffs | Sparco Milano seats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010
Apprentice
S197 Member

I've owned a couple convertibles and known other convertible owners. 5 to 6 years is what you can expect if you have a garage kept car. If you leave a convertible out in the elements the time drops depending on winters/rain/sun/carwash/etc. A convertible is a fun but more expensive option. There's nothing like a perfect day with the top down.

Some convertibles can be replaced in pieces. I had a Solara that was a two piece unit, over the time I owned the car I replaced one piece 2-1/2 years later than the second piece. That makes repairs less expensive.

2011 Mustang GT/CS - Race Red, 5.0, 6-speed manual, 3.73, Comfort Package, Electronics Package, HID, Tinted Windows, Boss Splitter
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010
Apprentice

In getting ready to take delivery of my 2011 GT 'Vert, I've perused some 3rd party catalogs and noticed a webbing product for 2005-09 models that sells for around $25, and the description says without it, the top "will wear VERY quickly." You can see it here:

Mustangs Unlimited - The Premier Source for Mustang, Shelby and Cougar Parts and Accessories

Perhaps this product is intended to avoid the kind of wear you observed?

I haven't seen a similar product for 2010-11 models, so maybe Ford changed the design to prevent this kind of wear? That's a question I still haven't been able to find an answer for.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010
Apprentice

If you get a 'vert you must get the cloth top...which means a premium model. I jus got mine and it is beautiful. I have a Porsche Boxster with a cloth top and it stays out in Pa. all the time and it still looks new and I have a '96 sebring with a cloth top and it still is in nice shape...
Do not get a vinyl top....but get a clith 'vert..they are so much fun... HOWEVER you will lose about 40% of the trunk capacity so check that out.

2011 GT Convertible, Race Red, Auto, Loaded
My "other Ford"
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010
Apprentice

I got the convertible. The top is great, I agree with nsthesa. I had a sebring conv, the top lasted 9 years, then it started falling apart. The replacement was $850 at a local shop, but by buying the top online and just paying for the installation i saved about $350.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010
Apprentice

I have had my 1999 Camaro Convertible (cloth top) for about 12 years now. No problems with wear at all. Top still looks like day I got it (and I have over 113k miles, and drive it in winter).

I just ordered a 2011 Mustang vert. Hope that helps ease the nerves. You/we should be fine.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010
Rookie
Classic Member

Cool

I almost ordered a GT-Premium Convertible.
But, I also love the sun, and was worried that in New England, i would be in the dark, on all those days w/o sun.

So... I opted for the Glass Roof.
The Mustang is such a great car. Where else do you have the choice of 3 roofs?
(Painted, Glass, Drop-Top)

Good Luck with your selection.
My dealer says that my car will be delivered this week!
-RadioRich

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GT-Premium Coupe, 6M, Glass Roof, White/Black, 19", Comfort, Security.

-RadioRich
2011 GT-Premium, 6M, Performance White, Black Interior
Glass Roof, Comfort Group, Security Group, 19" 64V Wheels
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

i live in NY and have no garage. I just bought a v6 convert. From all my research the upkeep isnt insane and there are alot of things you can do to help keep the life longer.

2011 Black V6 white stripe convertible, manny tranny
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010
GT Member

My '06 vert. Mustang is a V-6 Premium with every option available at the time. It has a tan vinyl top, not cloth. It is in good shape still. My 2000, also a Premium had a black vinyl top and I owned it for 8 years with no problems. It is all how you take care of it.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsthesa View Post
If you get a 'vert you must get the cloth top...which means a premium model. I jus got mine and it is beautiful. I have a Porsche Boxster with a cloth top and it stays out in Pa. all the time and it still looks new and I have a '96 sebring with a cloth top and it still is in nice shape...
Don't worry....I have no intention of getting anything but a cloth top. I've had a Boxster too and have Many TT friends with 10 year old tops that still look good. My concern was the wear patterns I observed. They obviously came from something in the boot while the top was stowed. They were similar on both sides. Wondering if the folded design or the boot stowage area has changed from the '05 I observed.

Steve
2011 GT in Performance white | 3.73's | FRPP "P" springs on D specs | Fays2 Watts Link | Brembo's | Steeda CAI/Tune | FRPP "X" into GT500 muffs | Sparco Milano seats
Apprentice

Quote:
HOWEVER you will lose about 40% of the trunk capacity so check that out.
You lose 40% trunk space just by getting a cloth roof instead of vinyl??? That just dosn't sound right, you are only switching the material, aren't you? Does the cloth top use a different frame?
Apprentice

Quote:
HOWEVER you will lose about 40% of the trunk capacity so check that out.
You lose 40% trunk space just by getting a cloth roof instead of vinyl??? That just dosn't sound right, you are only switching the material, aren't you? Does the cloth top use a different frame?
Apprentice

As some of us know, the V6 prem vert only comes with a vinyl top. Cloth is not an option. What is the proper way to take care of a vinyl top? This is my fist convertible and I love it.
Rookie

FYI on the 05' top you refered to... my 05' looks just as good as it did the day I received it. It's all in how you take care of it.

Moving to the cloth top will be interesting. Different cleaning and care.

Current ride: 2005 Torch Red GT Premium Vert
On Order: 2011 Red Candy GT/CS Vert
Ordered 2/8
Build date 4/22
ETA 5/14

Awaiting Shipment Returned from Offsite - Ual13 (Autoport Limited ) Autoalliance International Inc, MI May-24-2010, 18:26 ET
GT Member

jeffski,

I guess that explains why both my V-6 'verts have/had vinyl tops!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page