What kind of Transmission did you get? and why - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice
S197 Member

I picked a stick. Can I drive a stick? I have before. Am I good at a stick? No.

I was ready to pull the trigger on an auto but then I thought to myself this is a Muscle Car. It would have been very hypocritical if I got the auto. Every time I have seen a Mustang with an Auto since I was a kid I have though oh that sucks. Why wouldn't this person get a stick? To be honest I am nervous as can be about learning to drive a stick well. I know that once I know how a Mustang will be a much better car to have with a stick. I completely understand traffic being a problem. You want a Mustang, you may even want a stick, but traffic kills that idea.

Sticks are definitely a dying breed. I love Mustangs and have always wanted a stick but fear held me back. So my reason for buying a stick, breaking out of my comfort zone and about to enjoy rowing the gears myself. I think we can all agree the fact that we are getting a Mustang or have a Mustang is awesome no matter who is shifting.

Original Order: 5/22/10, Never scheduled.
Canceled by dealer on 8/11/10 (11 weeks).

New Order Placed By dealership: Build Date 8-26-10
Delivered 9-14-10!!!!

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium. 401A, Brembo Brakes, Glass Roof, Navigation, Rear Camera, Security Package, Comfort Package, 3.73 Rear End, 6 Speed Manual. Magnaflow exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Smile

If your buying a mustang over a honda or a mazda, you must wanna have some fun! Stick for me isnt work, it makes driving a more fun and controllable experience. Why get a six speed and not give each gear the love and attention it deserves. For instance when at a light and the douche in a challenger thinks he can take you. He cant. Not only can you show him, but you can show him and b VERY clear about it...
Plus i live in NY and auto trannys in snow are not so fun....

2011 Black V6 white stripe convertible, manny tranny
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilson View Post
I picked a stick. Can I drive a stick? I have before. Am I good at a stick? No.

I was ready to pull the trigger on an auto but then I thought to myself this is a Muscle Car. It would have been very hypocritical if I got the auto. Every time I have seen a Mustang with an Auto since I was a kid I have though oh that sucks. Why wouldn't this person get a stick? To be honest I am nervous as can be about learning to drive a stick well. I know that once I know how a Mustang will be a much better car to have with a stick. I completely understand traffic being a problem. You want a Mustang, you may even want a stick, but traffic kills that idea.

Sticks are definitely a dying breed. I love Mustangs and have always wanted a stick but fear held me back. So my reason for buying a stick, breaking out of my comfort zone and about to enjoy rowing the gears myself. I think we can all agree the fact that we are getting a Mustang or have a Mustang is awesome no matter who is shifting.
agreed about the dieing breed and seeing mustangs in stick and thinking lameeee traiiinn

I have to say the mustang stick will take a little to get used to. For me when i test drove it was a big change from my tiny little early 90s honda civic. But you will learn quick. It is so smoooth.

2011 Black V6 white stripe convertible, manny tranny

Apprentice

Wait! You're saying they make a transmission that isn't manual?
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propaganda13 View Post
hhahahahahahaaha

2011 Mustang GT Premium - Race Red w/ Black Stripe - Brembo Package - Shaker 1000
2003 F150 FX4 5.4L - 3in lift
Semper Paratus
"They say money doesn't buy happiness. That phrase should end with 'just kidding" -Daniel Tosh
PONY Member

I've always loved the standard, even when it was *three on a tree*. My Acura was an auto, but I always drove it in sport mode so I could do the shifting. It wasn't exactly doing all the shifting, but I made most of the decisions!
Most of my other cars have been manuals, except for the model's that didn't offer standards. I just couldn't buy a Mustang without a standard, unless there was something wrong with me.
Standards are so much more fun! You are making the decisions. Shifting becomes second nature, at times you're not even aware you've made a shift. You really don't think about it, unless you're stuck in stop and go traffic. That's when your left thigh can really get tired!
Hopefully, I'll still be able to drive a standard until I'm forced to give up driving.
But...whatever makes YOU happy is what counts.
PONY Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propaganda13 View Post
Wait! They still make a Manual Transmission? Who knew!
Had to do it!

2011 V6 Mustang - Premium
Sterling Gray Metallic, Charcoal Black
Automatic, 2.73 Rear
Comfort Package, Camera
AM/BAMA 93R Tune, K&N Drop-In, Roush Axle Back
Apprentice

manual. I learned how to drive in France and been driving manuals for many years until I moved to the US. I'm used to driving manuals in traffic (lived in Paris..). The only problem I have with the manual is the amount of available people who can drive me somewhere if I'm unable to drive for any reason has shrunk considerably.. More cab drives I guess !
post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr12 View Post
manual. I learned how to drive in France and been driving manuals for many years until I moved to the US. I'm used to driving manuals in traffic (lived in Paris..). The only problem I have with the manual is the amount of available people who can drive me somewhere if I'm unable to drive for any reason has shrunk considerably.. More cab drives I guess !

thats why if im drinking i leave the mustang at home lol. I dont want anyone driving it anyways!

2011 Mustang GT Premium - Race Red w/ Black Stripe - Brembo Package - Shaker 1000
2003 F150 FX4 5.4L - 3in lift
Semper Paratus
"They say money doesn't buy happiness. That phrase should end with 'just kidding" -Daniel Tosh
Apprentice

Manual
I want to be in control of my car.

If it had a double clutch automatic/manual i would consider it. But not a standard automatic.
I love driving automatics but only in certain cars. Not for fun driving. Great in city, bad in mountains.
All my cars (5 past/present/future) are manual.

This must be one of a few V8s to come with a manual. Another reason to get the mustang.

2011 Mustang GT
Performance White / Brick Red / Manual / 3.55
Rookie

Manual...because I'm not a p*ssy.

Too many cars! 2011 Mustang V6 grabber blue, 2001 Mustang Bullitt DHG 1277, 2001 Mustang Bullitt TB 3686, 2011 F150
Apprentice

I got a 6-speed, that's all they offered. :laughlitt

I chose a manual, my Audi is an auto because they didn't offer the manual at the time and I just miss the shifting, even if the auto is faster or I am sitting in Chicago traffiic. Actually, I think it is easier to sit in traffic with the manual and idle along than on and off the brake constantly.

2011 GT Prem 401A Convertible - Sterling Grey, Red Interior, Manual, Elect/Comfort/HID/Sec
PONY Member
S197 Member

Manual for me. Had a 2007 GT auto , sold it in 4 months. Great car, great driver for sure with lots of power..but, to hear that motor, I found I was punching it more then I needed to just to feel the power of the car

I dont you my Stang as a daily driver so when I do take her out, I need to shift and hear the motor roar between gears..

just my take..

If I was driving daily, and in stop and go traffic, I think I would want the auto...makes more sense

Blueblaze
2011 GT 5.0 Premium Coupe, Kona Blue, Interior Charcoal /Grabber Blue ,6 speed MT, Comfort Group, ,Brembo Brakes , 3.73 Gears, Security Package, Shaker1000, Polk Speakers, CDC Chin Spoiler, JLT Oil Separator, Custom Grille layout, HID, Brenspeed 93 Tune /Steeda CAI , GT500 SVT Axle Backs
A new Beast in disguise…..
Apprentice

Stick because stick=fun

2010 Mustang Shelby GT500 SVT and everything

2011 Mustang GT Premium. Order canceled
PONY Member

No question, it had to be manual and it saved $1k. The mundane driving will be in the automatic G35x in the winter.

Received 7/2/10: 11' GT base with 3.73,
Installed: Steeda CAI, SCT, Steeda tune, GT500 axlebacks, SVT leather wheel, Infinity Kappas, Boston amp, Bazooka powered sub, yellow fog light bulbs, dark front corner lights, GT500 splash guards, tint, SVE Drift matte 18"x9" wheels with 265/40s and SVE 1" drop springs, Koni Yellow, HP+ pads, brake duct coolers with CS front lower and splitter
Bought and soon to be installed: Edelbrock E-force stage 2
Stable: 14 SHO, 10 Road Glide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page