LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Maybe I should have gotten Sync

Here's the breakdown.

1. I didn't care for leather in a vert
2. Sync was nice but didn't justify the cost of the Premium package
3. Planned on upgrading the stereo system
4. Getting a smartphone for the limited times I'd used GPS.

Unfortunately,

1. AT&T dropped their unlimited plan so streaming Pandora through an Ipad doesn't seem like a good option anymore.
2. Plugging in a MP3 player is fine, but controlling it sucks.

Wants:
Bluetooth and better Ipod control would be on the list. GPS would be nice, but not necessary.

A base plan
Line Out converter
Parrot Bluetooth (looks like I can use the phone button)
4 channel amp
6.5 components with a 6.5 rear fill
Maybe an amp + sub (I got a Memphis 16-MC1000D plus 2 12" Atlas subs. I'd probably change to a more powerful single sub)

I could go two ways - hidden (probably preferred since it's a vert) or flashy (Ipad or Ipad-like)

What ideas do you guys have?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Check out the new tom toms. they do alot of the things you want.... its what i am gunna do. =)

2011 Black V6 white stripe convertible, manny tranny
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

TomTom GO 910 - TomTom Originals - TomTom GPS sat nav

this at a glance might have everything you need depending on your phone. But there are tons out there!

2011 Black V6 white stripe convertible, manny tranny

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I got Sync in my 2010 Ford Escape that I got last friday and I absolutely love it, but I didn't get the Nav. system. I agree with AmericanWoman, a pretty good GPS from Tom tom or Garmin will do everything from navigation to bluetooth calls and even play MP3s. Buy a good GPS and a bigger memory card and your in good shape.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I agree with everyone here however it is not the same i used to think so myself

The nav will show you weather charts, and nav you out of it. You can get local sports listing, movie times, gas prices.....find a movie.

Find an outback steakhouse? one extra button click puts the call in for you to order your take out...and one additional click while your on the phone and your car is showing you how to get there.

Same thing for gas and prices and location.

Need traffic updates? no problem..it will give that to you and automatically re-route you around it.

Need to install 2,400 songs "into your car" no problem it has a buitl in 10G hard drive.

Want to watch Big bang theory or your favorite dvd while your waiting for the girl at outback to bring out your steak? no problem...it plays DVD movies.

Want it to automatically call 911 in he event of an air bag deployment (aka "on-star")..yeap..it does that also..and it doesnt matter if your phone flies into the back seat or out of the car.. it will work automatically regardless of if you can reach your phone (On star is NOT the only system that can do this any more folks).

Want ski reports? lol yeap you got it. Five day weather forecast for what ever area you are in plus your home area? Done.

Tom toms are nice but you cant hit just one extra button and make the call to make that hotel reservation like you can with the built in nav that interfaces with your phone.

It will even let you purchase those movie tickets on the fly from your car.

Also, a tom tom want automatically sense your iphone and start playing your favorite play list while the phone is still in your pocket..without you pushing anything...JUST BY CRANKING THE CAR...and you cant plug it in the usb prot and control all of your iphone play lists using steering wheel contorls and on screen controls

Voice commands? "forgetaboutit"...they work flawelessly with the nav system and you can just say "temperature 72 degrees" and it even works the climate controls..boom..air comes on and 72 degrees is dialed in...try that with a tom tom and good stereo.

need a back up camera? The image displays on the 9 inch screen rather than on that 2 inch one on your rear view mirror.

Just my 2 cents.

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Yeah, but telling me how great Sync is doesn't help me. Oh well, maybe it'll help someone else.

I'll have to take a look at the Tom Tom and maybe see what Garmin has like it. I just preferred not having something I needed to hide.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

If i liked verts i'd have gone with leather. One reason Bird droppings lol, way easier to clean up.

2011 Black GT Premium
Auto, 401A, Shaker 1000, Comfort Package,
18 inch rims, 50/50 Window Tint, Mrt
Rear hinged window louvers, 5.0 Flowmaster
American Thunders.
Boss Quad Exhaust
Ordered 2/9/10
Arrived 4/29/10
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010
GT Member

Just a Personal Opinion:

"Maybe I should have gotten Sync"

Let's see $3200 more to get the Sync, then an additional $2340 to get the Navigation= $5540 total for both.

l. This is a driver's car, not a home theatre or gaming room.

2. Gee, what Modifications can I do to my car, or to my home or office for that $5540 I saved, not buying unnecessary options when I ordered my new car.

You already made the right decision, don't ever second guess it.

Why not buy some of the toys others mention above. Don't like em, throw them away the next day and buy more. It will take a while to use up that $5540 on small electronic toys...ones you can carry around with you, things you can use while that car stays parked 90 % of its life.

Oh shucks, I forgot about that rear view camera, another few hundred bucks saved. Guess maybe I'll put all that almost $6000 towards 6 months or more of car payments !
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010
PONY Member

well I'm still exploring just what my new snc will do... but I figured why skimp so i bought the premium package but no to the visual map or camera addition. I have yet to try my garmin 760 in this car as the 760 is blue tooth and may work in my Stanginator? any way i can't stop smiling long enough to check all the gizmos and functions. i just love the car and after I get 1000 miles on it I'm going to hit warp drive!

2011 5.0 Mustang Premium Convertible Sterling Grey, 6 spd Manual, Comfort package, Hood Scoop and rear Pedestal Spoiler, GT500 mufflers, GT500 mud flaps, mini antenna, red caliper covers, Boss shift ball and boot, LED trunk lights, Locking GAS Fuel Plug CAP. Ordered 3/30/2010, build date 5/3/2010. delivered 6/16/2010 car still running in perfect condition.
. :kooky:
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s197gt View Post
"Maybe I should have gotten Sync"

Let's see $3200 more to get the Sync, then an additional $2340 to get the Navigation= $5540 total for both.

l. This is a driver's car, not a home theatre or gaming room.

2. Gee, what Modifications can I do to my car, or to my home or office for that $5540 I saved, not buying unnecessary options when I ordered my new car.

You already made the right decision, don't ever second guess it.

Why not buy some of the toys others mention above. Don't like em, throw them away the next day and buy more. It will take a while to use up that $5540 on small electronic toys...ones you can carry around with you, things you can use while that car stays parked 90 % of its life.
+1 and don't forget the interest on that amount. Get a Droid(or similar smart phone with Verizon) or portable xm radio is $77/year. I have both.

Received 7/2/10: 11' GT base with 3.73,
Installed: Steeda CAI, SCT, Steeda tune, GT500 axlebacks, SVT leather wheel, Infinity Kappas, Boston amp, Bazooka powered sub, yellow fog light bulbs, dark front corner lights, GT500 splash guards, tint, SVE Drift matte 18"x9" wheels with 265/40s and SVE 1" drop springs, Koni Yellow, HP+ pads, brake duct coolers with CS front lower and splitter
Bought and soon to be installed: Edelbrock E-force stage 2
Stable: 14 SHO, 10 Road Glide
PONY Member

You SHOULD have gotten the Premium! Then we wouldn't be having this conversation. LOL! JK!

Larry - SGM (Ret) US Army

2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible
Kona Blue, Stone Leather, Stone Top
6 Speed Auto, 2.73, Comfort Pkg, etc
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I found the iSimple PXAMGA Media Gateway for Ipod control through the stereo. It's probably as good as it'll get without adding screens. It would be limited to the stereo's screen and get by with simple controls, playlists, genre, artists, and I think albums.

I'll have to check on the Parrot CK3000 plus PAC adapter to see if I'll be able to use bluetooth through the stereo and phone button without adding the visible Parrot controls.

I haven't had time to look into it, but maybe I could use a wifi Ipad tethered wirelessly to a second phone if I wanted the unlimited bandwidth ipad option.
Apprentice

I'm in the same situation, didn't want to buy a bunch of factory crap that I couldn't update/modify down the road. I live in AZ, so leather isn't an option really. 2 things I don't buy on a car in AZ. Black paint and leather seats.

Anyways, off to the question posed. You mentioned getting a smartphone. I'm tempted to get one of these, considering we have the stereo jack in the center console.

DealExtreme: $12.99 Bluetooth 2.0 A2DP AVRCP Stereo Music Receiver and Handsfree (Black)

Any of you guys had a chance to try one of these, or can you recommend a better one. I do not want a blue tooth receiver that transmits over 87.9 fm, it would have to plug into a stereo jack to eliminate static.

I'm obviously looking into getting the Meta dash kit so I can install a double din NAV or DVD/CD player. Still waiting to see if the Metra dash kit for the 2010 will work with the 2011, and trying to find a deck that allows bluetooth audio, not just calls.

Anyways, let me know if anyone has tried one of these, or similar. Thanks.

DealExtreme: $12.99 Bluetooth 2.0 A2DP AVRCP Stereo Music Receiver and Handsfree (Black)
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnamover View Post
+1 and don't forget the interest on that amount. Get a Droid(or similar smart phone with Verizon) or portable xm radio is $77/year. I have both.

Nope..no interest..i got mine on the 0% for 72 months deal.

Anyway don't get me wrong.

I bought a base model previously and sounded EXACTLY LIKE You..but the addition of these toys is almost like going to an ENTIRELY different type of car....while still having the performance..no joking.

I travel EXTENSIVELY so i make use of the toys more than i thought..if i were just banging around town goin 5 miles to and fro work..would have been a total waste of money however....

Going from columbia SC to atlanta to va and what ever other town they send me to..i USE EVERY SINGLE feature it gives me....frequently.

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

What actually sucks on the mustang is that you HAVE to get the premium to get sync. On the 2010 Escape I bought last week, it was a $500.00 option witch isn't that bad for all it does and the great bluetooth option that really sucked on my magellan (crap) GPS. If Ford would let you get the value leader and let's say add another $500.00 to get sync or the base pony pack without all that useless interior stuff and an extra $500.00 to get sync but nooooooo. Just empty them pockets boys and btw you'll get your car...someday.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page