MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang6767c View Post
Does anyone run 87 consistently? I will eventually run 91 but with my current drive 87 is sometimes a better choice.

Even though Ford claims you can run 87, does anyone believe it may cause engine damage?

By the way I'm purchasing a 2011 5.0 MT with 3.73
It wont cause any engine damage if you are running the stock tune. The stock tune is designed to run 87octaine, its just that you are not getting the "advertised" tq and HP numbers if you run the 87.

Some say the improved gas mileadge offsets the cost of the premium but thats anectedotal and i havent seen scientific proof. Its possible if you are just cruisin down the freeway and dont plan on putting your foot in it that you can save a few bucks and run 87 but come one....its a 5.0, you are going to be getting on it...so to my thinking...you WANT the premium. I run premium in my 10 just for the extra 10 ft/lb tq.

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Kjanks Send a message via Yahoo to Kjanks Send a message via Skype™ to Kjanks
I think 87 is making my Cats and Exhaust smell like rotten eggs....I just started to notice it. Do you think that is what its from? Or is there somthing else on the horizon. Also, when I picked it up from the dealer it had a top end ticking noise. I think they hot rodded it to hard or something. I am taking it to the dealer on Wed to see if its a lifter or a noisy injector. What do you guys think?

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjanks View Post
I think 87 is making my Cats and Exhaust smell like rotten eggs....I just started to notice it. Do you think that is what its from? Or is there somthing else on the horizon. Also, when I picked it up from the dealer it had a top end ticking noise. I think they hot rodded it to hard or something. I am taking it to the dealer on Wed to see if its a lifter or a noisy injector. What do you guys think?
You'll get all kinds of funny smells until it's broken in. Mine has 700 miles on it, and it still smells funny, especially after running it hard. I get the rotten eggs now and again, and I always run 93 octane.

As for the tick, if you hear it only when the hood is open, you're hearing injectors. With the hood closed, if you're hearing it through the wheel wells at idle, you're hearing the typical Ford engine tick that apparently was not fixed even in this new iteration. Look at these threads:

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...d-2011-gt.html

Loud Valvetrain? - MustangForums.com

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-question.html

MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Lots of cars have that ticking sound. My 2008 4cy nissan has it.

Although i will say that my 2010 Gt does not have it.

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteshelby49 View Post
You could try some 87 octane but with the automatic (that's what I have), I noticed a slight hesitation and power loss at low rpm. Like right off idle and at around 30-35 mph when it is lugging along at 1000 rpm. The intake drone inducer would cackle a bit as the throttle is pressed- slight hesitation and then it would accelerate. The outside temps were pretty high around 95-100 degrees.
Ditto here. The hesitation only happens every now and then at low RPN's. I'm going to try 91 octane next time I fuel up to see if it makes a difference.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Premium.
Kona Blue Metallic ext with white Lemans stripes. and Dark Charcoal Leather int. Auto Trans., 19 x 8.5-inch machined face with painted spoke aluminum wheels. Roush Axle-Back Exhaust & CDC Chin Spoiler.
BOSS Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Rockin' Blue's
I use non ethanol 91 octane of course I have a performance tune but if you can find non ethanol gas its whole lot better and you get better gas mileage, IMO

[LEFT]"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government " Thomas Jefferson

There's another old saying, Senator: Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining
( Outlaw Josey Wales )

My Ride : " Buster " 2007 Vista Blue GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page