Looking at getting a 2011 Mustang...help sell it on me! - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Looking at getting a 2011 Mustang...help sell it on me!

Okay first I am a new member and wanted to say hi!

I currently have a 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8, which I totally love! Yes it is a big heavy car, but the 6.1L really performs and living in Europe I have had plenty of chances to run it wide open, 170MPH+. But since I bought the car for my wife I have run into some issues with “availability.” That got me to looking around for another go-fast car. My research keeps leading me to the 2011 Mustang 5.0. More specifically a Black GT Premium (401A), 6-Speed Manual, Brembo Brakes, 3.73 Rear End, HIDS, Comfort and Electronics Packages (w/the NAV), & Rear Camera. I would like to also add the Side/Hood Scoops and ¼ Window Louvers. By the Ford web site that comes in around $41K…I can get that car for $37K or less before shipping…I live in Italy!

Now I have a few questions that you may all be able to help me out.

With the HIDs I have to order the Security Package…but other than some keyed lug nuts ($45) what else do I get for $395? What is the Active anti-theft accessory?
I think I know the answer to this on but would like some confirmation…does the glass roof weigh more or less than the standard roof?
I really like the grill and front fascia of the California Special but the CS severally limits other options…Brembos and rear cam to name two. I think I can live without the Camera but the Brembos, come on Ford!
What does the stock exhaust sound like on the 5.0? After we got the Challenger the first mod was an MBRP cat back…stock sounded to tame.
I am sure I will have more questions but those will come later!

Me: 2011 Black GT 5.0/400A/MT/Brembos/Acc Pkg #4/Comfort Pkg/3.31 Born:3MAY2010
MODS: Steeda CAI, Bama Tuned SCT, Magnaflow X-Pipe, UPR C-Can, 8000K Hids, GrabberPony Shifter Ball, & goin' Blacker!!!

The Wife: 2008 Hemi Orange Challenger SRT8
MODS: MBRP Cat-Back, HHP Tuned Diablo, 85MM T-Body, MOPAR CAI & StrutBar, & BilletTech C-Can
De Oppresso Liber
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

as far as the gt/cs grille goes, thats one of the easiest aftermarket accessories you can put on. Theres a million billet grille's avaliable, and they sell the little tribar pony emblem along with it.

oh not to mention its faster, and handels better than any other american car on the road

The only thing college is teaching me is how to be good at being broke

In vino veritas

1969 Mach 1 (Red) sold
2003 V6 (black) Rammed by an Oddesy RIP
2006 gt (red) sold
2014 V6 (grey)
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010
PONY Member

First off. The HIDs are amazing. I love them over the stock lights. Yes you have to get the security package. Well the car alarm that comes with the car is very touchy. I had a friend lean against my car (wasnt happy about it either) and the car started going off.
The stock exhaust sounds great. Get on youtube and listen to it. I am still going to upgrade my exhaust. Also this car is running 12.6 in a QM. that SRT8 cant even do that stock.
Also go with the brembos! So many compliments about the rims and the breaks on this car.

2011 Mustang GT Premium - Race Red w/ Black Stripe - Brembo Package - Shaker 1000
2003 F150 FX4 5.4L - 3in lift
Semper Paratus
"They say money doesn't buy happiness. That phrase should end with 'just kidding" -Daniel Tosh

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010
Apprentice
S197 Member

When I test drove the Mustang it was far superior to anything I'd driven. So I'm confident you won't regret getting one.

If you're somewhere near the autobahn or another place that allows wide open running I'm not so sure I'd go with the 3.73 gears. (although I have them on my car)

A word of warning about the rear window louvers, they limit your vision. Especially when you enter an intersection that includes a diagonal road. I love the look of the rear window louver but in day to day driving I don't suggest it.

Ford made the Brembo package and the California Special Package separate because they both include wheel upgrades. So getting both would be redundant/wasteful. As a CS owner, I absolutely love the look - billet grille, side strips, side scoop, pedestal spoiler, carbon fiber interior upgrades on dash, seats, door panels, great looking wheels and more. Something else you should know, the stock brakes on the 2011 are bigger than the 2010 and work very well. But that decision comes down to your preferences Great brakes vs. Great styling upgrades.

Stock exhaust is tame. According to some videos on YouTube by Motor Trend the challenger's exhaust sounds better. When all is said and done that might be the only thing you miss switching from the Challenger to the Stang.

The 2011 Mustang is an incredible car

2011 Mustang GT/CS - Race Red, 5.0, 6-speed manual, 3.73, Comfort Package, Electronics Package, HID, Tinted Windows, Boss Splitter
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Thanks all...now I keep flip-flopping between Black and Grabber Blue. I think the G-Blue 5.0 next to the Hemi Orange Challenger would look good in the drive way.

But more thoughts...the more reading I do it looks like the Brembos are really much better than the stock breaks. Now I have slung the Dodge around the Nurnberg ring a few times and the Brembos were greatly needed there but not so much in day-to-day driving. So now I am leaning more to the Cali-Special as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvOO9BPJwdI

As for the rear louvers...I can't see out of the side of the Challenger either so I am use to that problem. I still think I want the 3.73 gears as I want to drag race this car and if I really want top speed runs there is always the Challenger.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y1UqlL6GZg

MODS: Steeda CAI, Bama Tuned SCT, Magnaflow X-Pipe, UPR C-Can, 8000K Hids, GrabberPony Shifter Ball, & goin' Blacker!!!

MODS: MBRP Cat-Back, HHP Tuned Diablo, 85MM T-Body, MOPAR CAI & StrutBar, & BilletTech C-Can
De Oppresso Liber
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010
PONY Member

For whatever reason if you order the HIDs then you have to get the security package. The active anti-theft system will know if it is being tilted (as in towed) and anything else as far as touching the car. It's pretty much like an expensive aftermarket alarm system. The wheel locks would be a great benefit if you order the Brembo's (don't wont those wheels or brakes stolen).

I think I've read somewhere that the glass roof weighs less, but read for yourself because I'm not sure.

You can buy the aftermarket CS front fascia from Ford, if you really prefer that front end.

The stock exhaust is far better than previous mustangs, but once it's at idle I've heard that it's more quiet till you rev it up. You can always buy aftermarket, but I'd wait a while till all the aftermarket exhaust come out.

'66 Coupe 200 cu in | Candy Apple Red | Black Interior | Rally lights | A/C

'12 VW GTI 4 dr | DSG | Neuspeed P-flo intake | pushing 225 whp

SOLD '11 GT Prem Kona Blue | Saddle | Sec Pkg | Brembos | had many mods
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010
PONY Member

We shouldn't have to sell you. Just climb in one and THAT will sell you.

Larry - SGM (Ret) US Army

2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible
Kona Blue, Stone Leather, Stone Top
6 Speed Auto, 2.73, Comfort Pkg, etc
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF18C View Post
With the HIDs I have to order the Security Package…but other than some keyed lug nuts ($45) what else do I get for $395? What is the Active anti-theft accessory?
I think I know the answer to this on but would like some confirmation…does the glass roof weigh more or less than the standard roof?
I really like the grill and front fascia of the California Special but the CS severally limits other options…Brembos and rear cam to name two. I think I can live without the Camera but the Brembos, come on Ford!
What does the stock exhaust sound like on the 5.0? After we got the Challenger the first mod was an MBRP cat back…stock sounded to tame.
Welcome to forum.

First off, if you get a chance, you must drive one of these cars. It will sell itself.

The security package gives an active anti-theft system. Alarm will go off if someone bangs into car, reaches inside (has motion sensor), or tries to tow it.

Of all the packages, I love the rims of the CS the most (wish I could order them as an option). Also, the CS has really nice seats. The material is part leather and something else (I think). It looks great and feels great.

Before I ordered my car (just 5 days ago), I test drove the SRT8 also. It has more of a growl than the Mustang, but the Mustang still sounds good. I may get axle back exhaust someday still....will have to wait and see.

As far as fun goes, comparing the Challenger SRT8, Camaro SS, and Mustang, I rank them in the following order:
1) Mustang GT
2) Camaro SS
3) Challenger SRT8

Hope this helps.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010
lug
Apprentice

The new sales brochure......

F91
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
The Security package has trunk and hood sensors, along with the motion and tilt sensors that everyone else has talked about too.

2011 GT | MT82 | 3.73 | Brembos | Barton | Airaid | CDC chin | Corsa X pipe & Xtremes | DSS Aluminum Shaft | BMR Rear loop & LCA relocating brackets | J&M Extreme LCA | Koni Yellows | Steeda Sports | UMI Panhard | SCT & BAMA
"Yo, nutsack! Let me tell you something, man, muscle beats import every time. You know what I'm saying? Every time!" - Dwight
Apprentice

I'm almost positive that the glass roof weighs more.
Apprentice

Quote:
I would like to also add the Side/Hood Scoops and ¼ Window Louvers.

Please don't. All of those are tacky and ugly as hell.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Okay so I tried to reply a few times and every time I hit post if goes off to be approved by a moderator, so I hope this one goes thru!

Thanks for the comments now I am flip-flopping between black and grabber blue! I think a G-Blue 5.0 next to the Hemi Orange Challenger would be an awesome looking drive way!

So I have been doing some more research and I think I will go with the CS package…giving up the Brembos and dropping the heated seats. Keeping the 3.73 gears and electronics package and HIDS/security options.

I spoke with my car salesman this afternoon and I have quote (this includes shipping to Italy) for $38K…same build at Ford is $39,400, so that is looking like a pretty good deal. But for some reason no hood scope option was available to him on his ordering system.

De Oppresso Liber
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

I wish it was a simple as jumping in one for a test ride! So far there is only one 2011 5.0 reported in Europe! I did test drive a 2010 GT in December along with a 2010 SS Camaro…honestly the Camaro may have been the fastest at that time out of the 3…but I thought it was a cheap plastic knockoff of an import ricer: the low slung roof, high door line and goofy interior did not move me! I did like the styling and look of the ‘10 GT but it need more grunt to run with SRT8 and the GT500 was just a bit too much $$$. But the release of the 5.0 has now changed the game, Ford has scored a bit hit with this power plant!

What are the opinions on a “CAI” not so much as a performance adder, just to dress up the engine bay?
Also does the 5.0 or Cali Package come standard with a tower strut bar? I can’t seem to find a straight answer on that one.

Next big step done…showed the wife a picture of a grabber blue California; she didn’t turn up her nose! That is a good sign; she doesn’t much care for Mustangs! Then I showed her the quote I got, she didn’t walk out of the room. All is good! I have been thinking over the 3.73 rear end and even though I know the top end might suffer a bit I got to make sure I can take her off the line! She (yes SHE) went to the strip two weeks ago and brought home a second place trophy in the 13 second bracket! Add that with her a dozen laps of the Nürburgring and we will have some racing to do! Oh, she did give me “the look” when I told her I signed up for an account here! She told me no Challenger bashing allowed…I guess we will have to see!

http://www.youtube.com/sf18c

De Oppresso Liber
CAL
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF18C View Post
Okay first I am a new member and wanted to say hi!

I currently have a 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8, which I totally love! Yes it is a big heavy car, but the 6.1L really performs and living in Europe I have had plenty of chances to run it wide open, 170MPH+. But since I bought the car for my wife I have run into some issues with “availability.” That got me to looking around for another go-fast car. My research keeps leading me to the 2011 Mustang 5.0. More specifically a Black GT Premium (401A), 6-Speed Manual, Brembo Brakes, 3.73 Rear End, HIDS, Comfort and Electronics Packages (w/the NAV), & Rear Camera. I would like to also add the Side/Hood Scoops and ¼ Window Louvers. By the Ford web site that comes in around $41K…I can get that car for $37K or less before shipping…I live in Italy!

Now I have a few questions that you may all be able to help me out.

Oh, the humanity of it...Mopar or No Car! Just kidding. I used to have an '07 CS/GT --loved it. With the 2nd kid---Charger SRT8 time, kids love the DVD and I do enjoy a Mustang snack every now and then.....No doubt, there will be a lot of 5.0's on the hunt of my 4100lbs (about 4350lbs with me in it) New Mustangs are VERY nice cars! Maybe after the kids are gone, I'd love to get another performance white cs/gt with the 'coyote' engine.........

Ok, better exit this forum, before I get nailed I've still got a lot of good friends on here--even though I went Mopar on them Heh, at least I kept it 'American' with my engine assembled in Mexico, Transmission from Germany and final assembly of my car in Brampton, Ontario (Canada)......just helping the global economy my friends! Oh yeah, go with the Grabber Blue---no contest. Nothing shines like a black car--also, nothing shows dirt like one either...tough to keep clean (if your daily driver). Ah, I miss my Mustang brothers/sisters....The Hunter has "become the hunted"

CAL - Made Member who's seen the light..BUY AMERICAN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page