415hp now?? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

If it had been like a 20-30 HP jump... I wouldn't be pissed if I had bought a 2010... but 100+???? Dang... I'd be pissed as hell. I'm glad I never looked at one until 2 months ago.. good timing. But anyways, if it had only had 300 HP, I wouldn't have even stopped to look at it anyways.

Bryce
---------
Track Rat #1 - VF supercharged e46 bimmer
Track Rat #2 - Kona 5.0 Premium | 3.73 MT82 | 400A | glass roof | saddle int. | Brembo Pkg | Com. & Sec. Pkg | camera | HID | Nav | no stripes | MM camberplates | Bilstein springs & Eibach dampers | Stock 368 RWHP @ 6700 / 354 TQ @ 4375 - Build Date 6-17-10
Sunny Day: Kawasaki 1600 with hypercharger and tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnamover View Post
That is an amazing deal on a 2010 you bought back in 09. At 28k, you must have saved 8k off MSRP back before the 11s were even announced.

FYI, you can order an 11 GT for 28k, as I did. With none of the unnecessary options, it is more of a driver's car than a luxury car.
6750 but who's counting

2014 Mustang GT/CS - Coupe
Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy 06 View Post
DOHC with cam variability on both intake and exhaust of up to 30 degrees, straight intake runners, 11:1 compression, piston oil squirters, forged crank and rods, 4 bolt main, hypereutectic pistons, and headers (not manifold). And to add insult to injury, these have been dynoing at 385-395, which means about 460 crank, not 415.
Not when the car is dynoed in the 1:1 ratio, which is 5th gear. The car makes what it is supposed to, around 415bhp. If this motor is SAE certified, like the LS3 motor for example, the motor makes 415hp, +/- 1%. It might not be SAE certified, don't know. Regardless, dyno appropriately and the car makes what it is supposed to. It doesn't really matter as the 5.0 runs hard and fast at the track regardless of a dyno number.

The 5.0 power jump from the year before is very big and the motor is a dream IMO. When Chevy went from the LS2 to the LS3 motor in the Vette, it was 36bhp more with an extra .2 liters. The LS3's heads and intake manifold are superior to the LS2. Yet swap the heads/intake out on the LS2 and the hp/tq is very close. Stock quarter mile times favor the LS3 by a small margin but bolt-on vs bolt-on, the LS2 is still champ. Not worth going from one to the other I think. But the 5.0 is just such a tremendous jump over the previous model, I can see where I might consider switching if I had the ability financially (assuming I had one in the first place of course). That's just me though, opinions will vary

There are only three things the copilot should ever say:
1. Nice landing, Sir.
2. I'll buy the first round.
3. I'll take the ugly one.

GT Member

Yeah all the dyno vids I have seen use 4th gear. Thats BS when 5th is a 1:1 ratio.

It's almost like....well....cheating.

2014 Mustang GT/CS - Coupe
Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95MGTS View Post
Not when the car is dynoed in the 1:1 ratio, which is 5th gear. The car makes what it is supposed to, around 415bhp. If this motor is SAE certified, like the LS3 motor for example, the motor makes 415hp, +/- 1%. It might not be SAE certified, don't know. Regardless, dyno appropriately and the car makes what it is supposed to. It doesn't really matter as the 5.0 runs hard and fast at the track regardless of a dyno number.

The 5.0 power jump from the year before is very big and the motor is a dream IMO. When Chevy went from the LS2 to the LS3 motor in the Vette, it was 36bhp more with an extra .2 liters. The LS3's heads and intake manifold are superior to the LS2. Yet swap the heads/intake out on the LS2 and the hp/tq is very close. Stock quarter mile times favor the LS3 by a small margin but bolt-on vs bolt-on, the LS2 is still champ. Not worth going from one to the other I think. But the 5.0 is just such a tremendous jump over the previous model, I can see where I might consider switching if I had the ability financially (assuming I had one in the first place of course). That's just me though, opinions will vary
A major shop (livernois maybe?) did their first pulls in 4th and got like 390+. But they re-ran again in 5th and still put down around 375, which is 430 wheel. Its no secret ford underrates their motors after overrating the 99 cobra.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.
PONY Member
S197 Member

With 11:1 compression, it will not be a very boost friendly motor without doing motor work, and how far can NA mods take it before it reaches its peak? It seems to be a very efficient motor; we can only wait and see.

I do not regret buying my 06 at all. I don't see why anyone would, unless MAYBE you bought a '10, but at that point you should have heard about the new motor coming out. Engines have been going up in power over time, not down, so if youre mad about buying a car and a manufacturer coming out with a more powerful engine 5 years later, I dont think youll ever be happy.
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad0314 View Post
With 11:1 compression, it will not be a very boost friendly motor without doing motor work, and how far can NA mods take it before it reaches its peak? It seems to be a very efficient motor; we can only wait and see.

I do not regret buying my 06 at all. I don't see why anyone would, unless MAYBE you bought a '10, but at that point you should have heard about the new motor coming out. Engines have been going up in power over time, not down, so if youre mad about buying a car and a manufacturer coming out with a more powerful engine 5 years later, I dont think youll ever be happy.
I bought a '10, and I am happy as a clam. The 5.0 was a barely audible rumor at the time. It has been a rumor for years. Why hold out on the hope that it might arrive? Well, it did, and I am still not having remorse about my decision for a number of reasons.
1- The 4.6 is a bullet proof engine, and has been proven time and time again. Not to say the 5.0 isn't, but who knows. It's new. I don't know if I would want to be the tester for that theory. I am certain it's fine, it definitely makes awesome numbers, but time will tell. I have learned that lesson the hard way once, never doing it again.
2- aftermarket pieces are a dime a dozen and can be readily found for the 4.6. 5.0, not so much, but that will come.
3- I am a bit old school about this. When I see an engine with all the latest, greatest technology in it, I shy away. The 4.6L has it's fair share, but again, proven to work. To me, it means more crap that could potentially go wrong in it's first two or three production years until the kinks get worked out. Remember when Chrysler first introduced the cylinder shut off in their semi-hemi? That was a **** show. I may eat crow on this, hopefully everything in that new drive line works properly out of the box.
4- I got a good deal on the 10, even after putting on the super charger and a few other goodies, I am ahead of the game against the '11 financially. So how is that a losing prospect?

Just my .02

My Mustang is a transformer. Suddenly it has 4 wheel drive, 4 doors and an F-150 badge
JEB
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

After reading this thread...

You know, and to think.. Here I was talking with my Subaru driving co-worker in Portland about how the new 5.0 is getting those great numbers because they went from 8 small cylinders, to 4 really big ones..

Best part was he believed me untill I started laughing..

I Hate GM, deal with it.
One shot, One Kill! Don't waste ammo, it's pricey!
2005 GT Screaming Yellow: SLP Loudmouths
Ibanez guitars, S&W revolvers, Glock Semi's
Republican write in Presidential Candidate 2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade View Post
Nice to see Ford increasing the baseline, but I'd like to know how they got 415hp without a supercharger. I see they went back to a 5l engine, but that really doesn't explain it. Is this new motor a dual overhead cam now?

I put a ton of $$ in my 2008 with the Whipple SC and should be around 430hp, and now you can alomst get there stock.

Anyone know which rear end gear set is standard on these, prolly 3.55's?

I'm also impressed that they now get 300hp with the v6. Not sure how they did that either.
Your 430 is at the wheels, the new 412 hp is the rated hp at the crank. Big difference.

2008 Mustang GT 5 speed 472HP 436 TQ
Procharger P-1SC Stage 2, GT500 Fuel System, FRPP Stingers, O/R H-pipe, Metco LCA's, Hurst shifter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy 06 View Post
A major shop (livernois maybe?) did their first pulls in 4th and got like 390+. But they re-ran again in 5th and still put down around 375, which is 430 wheel. Its no secret ford underrates their motors after overrating the 99 cobra.
Other shops have had less, such 360rwhp SAE on a dynojet. If the motor is SAE certified, it makes 415hp, give or take 1%. I still don't know if it is though. Why is it 430 at the wheel? What % is being used to come up with that number? Happy dyno's but we don't race dyno's. Same with LS3 motors making 390rwhp while rated at 436....a happy dyno!!!

There are only three things the copilot should ever say:
1. Nice landing, Sir.
2. I'll buy the first round.
3. I'll take the ugly one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page