2011 Mustang 5.0 Running Rough, Anyone? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

2011 Mustang 5.0 Running Rough, Anyone?

Anyone have an auto that runs rough on start up? Brenspeed said their car was on hold for some cold start re flash problem.
Mine kind of runs kind of rough on start up.

2011 Premium Red Candy Mustang GT ( Delivered 5/24/10 )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08DarkCandyGT View Post
Brenspeed said their car was on hold for some cold start re flash problem.
Mine kind of runs kind of rough on start up.
Reflash? That's funny, Sorry - it takes 20-30 minutes to do a reflash. some of these vehicles have been on ramp 51 for weeks or longer.

Running rough on start up? As long as it comes out of it don't worry. Mine has an extended crank, at times, but starts - I am not worried about that, either.

2011 Mustang 5.0
-Black
-MT82 6 speed
-Brembo brakes
-GT coupe appearance pkg 5
-Steeda CAI
-LD Performance Custom tune
2011 Mustang MCA edition
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010
Banned
4.6L Member

Remember the old axiom "never buy the first model of a car"...too many bugs...sadly seems to still be true..."don't worry about it"???? c'mon, if I dropped 35 large on a new car it better run more than perfectly before I'd take delivery.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010
PONY Member
S197 Member

Waiting to hear more on this.

My only experience while I am waiting for my 5.0, 6 speed to be delivered is that I have test drove 4 different 5.0 GT's. They were all 6 speeds in the last 7 weeks at different dealers. Most we ice cold when I started them. One of the 5.0's I was able to drive for about 2 hours. Both highway and stop & go driving. Cars ran great with a 6 speed and no other problems noticed at all.

Good luck, I am sure it will either correct itself as the PCM " learns" or need a quick re-flash at the dealer..

Blueblaze
2011 GT 5.0 Premium Coupe, Kona Blue, Interior Charcoal /Grabber Blue ,6 speed MT, Comfort Group, ,Brembo Brakes , 3.73 Gears, Security Package, Shaker1000, Polk Speakers, CDC Chin Spoiler, JLT Oil Separator, Custom Grille layout, HID, Brenspeed 93 Tune /Steeda CAI , GT500 SVT Axle Backs
A new Beast in disguise…..
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010
PONY Member
5.0L Member

OP, what grade fuel are you running? TI VCT will retard the timing quite a bit if less than 91 octane run in the engine. You cannot expect the same results from this engine you may get with the 4.6 or any other Ford motor - 3.7 would be the closest. Some differences are to be expected. It may run rough on start up - but compared to what? The other option is to play it safe like 2manystangs and stick with the tried and true yesterdays technology, but where is the fun in that?
Not knocking the 4.6 - great motor, it has just run it's course and left it's mark in the history of great Ford engines.

2011 Mustang 5.0
-Black
-MT82 6 speed
-Brembo brakes
-GT coupe appearance pkg 5
-Steeda CAI
-LD Performance Custom tune
2011 Mustang MCA edition
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010
silverbull271

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Manystangs View Post
Remember the old axiom "never buy the first model of a car"...too many bugs...sadly seems to still be true..."don't worry about it"???? c'mon, if I dropped 35 large on a new car it better run more than perfectly before I'd take delivery.

35 Large?

My car stickered for around 47K!!!!!!!!!

No problems here though ---knock wood (knocked on my head)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010
MAK
Apprentice

2,000 km so far and all is good on my 5.0
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010
GT Member

And can we define what running "rough" at cold startup really means?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Weird, I read this thinking it may have been what I was noticing, but I get almost like a little hiccup once it is warmed up, only when idling(drive-thru, stoplights), It almost feels like a loping cam inside the car. I have only used shell 93 octane in my car, I filled it up an hour after it was delivered. 550 miles 3rd tank of gas. I have not told our service department about it because I plan on taking her on a 800 mile roadtrip with my wife next week. I hope she makes it back!

Some people lead the way blindly, Others follow with 20/20 vision

Aaron S.
2011 5.0| MT82| White/Saddle|HID|Brembo|3.73| GT/CS Fascia| Saleen Grill| DynaTech LT's and O/R X| AFCO Aluminum Radiator | J&M LCA's & RELO's|Hurst Billet + | Eibach Pro Springs| KONI STR-T |Bama93| Airaid| 255/40/19(f)285/35/19(r) Kuhmo ECSTA XS|

Gone but not forgotten
|08 Mustang GT, MT Black| 05 IS 300 MT Black| 00 Camaro SS MT Black|95 Acura Integra GSR MT Black | 91 Prelude Si 4WS MT Black|

Apprentice

I have had my car when idling after warm up, start tapping. Then goes away 2000 RPM. I can feel it in my shifter in gear, out of gear no. Im going to the dealer to get it looked at Monday. The idle is a little rough, at 600 to 700 rpm. Thats with Shell 93. Also if i shut the car off, it goes away for a shot time as the car idles at 900-1000 rpm. Any ideas? Ronn

2011 GT 373 Hid Sec Brembo 6spd Race Red
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I wonder how much of this is the cars natural adapative learning computer curve combined with the twin variable timing?

Maybe just Fords learning curve in figuring out the best way to program the computer on these things?

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
GT Member

what is the normal idle speed on the 2011 5.0?

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe/Brembos/3.73

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

Apprentice

Maybe the computer is trying to adjust for the 93 octane?
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cababah View Post
what is the normal idle speed on the 2011 5.0?
With mine, after warmup, it idles around 700. From inside the car, that is very smooth.

From outside the car, I think the engine would sound smoother if it was set closer to 850 or so, IMO.
GT Member

700 sounds about right. I'll let you know after I pick mine up this afternoon. Counting the hours!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page