Why is my speed limited to 80mph - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Why is my speed limited to 80mph

I just bought my new 5.0 and my car tells me hat my speed is limited to 80, is that because of the fact that its a new engine? Or maybe because the dealer said it was built for 87 octane.

It's not a car, It's a legend.

2011 Mustang GT Race Red manual 6speed base model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice
S197 Member

Yea I believe so.

Old 07-03-2010
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamBeast'11 View Post
I just bought my new 5.0 and my car tells me hat my speed is limited to 80, is that because of the fact that its a new engine? Or maybe because the dealer said it was built for 87 octane.
The dealer lied to you. While you are stopped, use the three buttons under your headlight switch to get to the system info screen (should hit the middle one once). It will tell you towards the end of the car status how many administrator and/or mykeys you have. If you have any mykeys, make them admin keys. Unless of course you feel the need to control yourself.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

Old 07-03-2010
Apprentice

Lol...sounds like the dealer didnt take it out of "valet" mode. You gotta take it back to have them turn it off I think...could be wrong.

--Ordered May 13, 2010-- --Built June 9, 2010-- --Delivered July 14, 2010--
| 2011 Mustang GT | Black | 6-Speed Manual | Premium 401a Package | Brick Red Interior | Brembos | 3.73 Rear Axel | Glass Roof | Electronics Package | Spoiler
Old 07-03-2010
Apprentice
S197 Member

Are you saying the car won't accelerate above 80mph? Did you buy from dealer stock or did you order yours? If it was from dealer stock the dealer may have set a top speed limit to keep test drivers from really opening it up. If you check your manual I believe there is a way to set the top speed, a sort of parental control setting. Check it out and see if that is what is causing it.
Apprentice
S197 Member

Do I need to keep it there for any break in period? I've heard both ways that there is and isn't one.

Old 07-03-2010
Apprentice

There is no break in. Sounds like you're using a mykey that was programmed for Valet mode. Check your user manual on how to reset this or just try using the other key, it might be the admin key.
Old 07-03-2010
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

My key is a parental control system that keys you limit both the top speed and the top volume of the stereo.

Read your owners manual.

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
Apprentice
S197 Member

The changing of the key did the tick, thanks everyone!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in