Aftermarket stereo question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Aftermarket stereo question

Hey guys and gals, I didn't go with the premium package because I didn't want to pay an extra 3 grand for the shaker 1000, but now it's time to put in some aftermarket sound components. Do y'all think the base 5.0 needs an amp to run a couple tens to the trunk? or are these new head units amped up already?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

You will need an amp.

Back in 05 i found a 250w Kentwood that had amp built in the box...it was an easy hook up.

It rocked.but then, i had a shaker 500 to start with so i turned it into a "shaker 750"..lol

To me just adding a sub in the back wont work as well on a base model becuase you are missing two extra dual mid range dirvers in the doors which put out enough thump (by themsleves) to make your jeans vibrate and insome cases..visibily move move around your ankle cuffs from the precussion.

You will DEFINATELY need an amp. id just go with 1 10' and maybe ad some more mid range some where if i could for best over all sound.

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010
Apprentice
S197 Member

Happy 4th! Ok, I don't have my baby yet but Husband and I did remove my system from my Z28. I worked at Rockford Fosgate at the time and we replaced everything. Have you checked out Crutchfield? They are a bit more $ BUT the quailty of help, phone or included instructions are worth it. I currently run a 450 Lightning Audio Amp for the two 10" Subs and a 850 for the other speakers. I have two crossovers, Digital Capacitor, and a Fused Distribution block. You WILL need a better battery, I use the red top Optima. Are you doing the install yourself? I just got the Shaker 1000. I need my music. I have a 6 CD changer, Sirius, Kenwood head unit that has a CD and uses a SD stick in the glovebox.
Good luck

______
2011 GT/CS, Grabber Blue, 402A, Shaker 1000, HID headlights, Security Package, Comfort group
ordered 6/9 built 6/14 invoiced 6/21 arrived 7/15

Husband's rides:
2008 Shelby & 2011 Silver MCA Editions

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010
GT Member

I use an Infinity Basslink II. It's the whole setup all in one. A powered subwoofer. I like it pretty well. It's not going to "hit" like the shaker 1000 will, but it sounds good.

Bottom line, it's a 250w RMS 10" square sub, in it's own box. It's small enough that you can put it behind the wheel well and still have 90% of your trunk left. Although it's not the loudest sub in the world, as long as you have the Shaker 500 it will transform your stereo.

Ebay has them for around 200 bucks. Comes with everything you need if you get one new in box.

2014 Mustang GT/CS - Coupe
Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Yeah, the shaker 1000 did bang, but I also have experience with throwing a decent 12 in a trunk and having it do just fine. I wasn't overwhelmed by the 500s door subs and that can be reproduced by a couple good infinity components. As long as I find a solid amp and sub I should be thumpin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page