Installing 3.73 on the 2011 GT Convertible? Pros? Cons? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Installing 3.73 on the 2011 GT Convertible? Pros? Cons?

The convertible comes with 3:31, there was no option to upgrade to 3:55 or 3.73. Is anyone thinking about upgrading? What would be the cost, including the retune? What are the pros and cons?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010
Apprentice

I was at a two day car show and cruise. When driving the 373s were pretty good at 30 mph. Ronn

2011 GT 373 Hid Sec Brembo 6spd Race Red
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010
PONY Member
Classic Member

There have been many posts on the different gear choices and opinions as to their uses. Try to search for those and you will get much info on the subject. Since so much has already been written, there may not be many answers to your post..

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013
Rookie

Chasis Flex with convertible

Hello, why did ford only put the 3.31 in the convertible. Was it due to fuel economy or will the 3.73 give the convertible more chasis flex?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013
PONY Member

Garage
If your 3.31's are quiet without whine I'd keep them and get a Shaftmasters aluminum driveshaft and a Ford Racing Pro Cal tune (will preserve what warranty you have left). The Shaftmaster is worth .1-.2 in the quarter and the Procal is another .1-.2 for a total of around .4 in the quarter, about what you'd pick up with the gear change alone. The Pro Cal is a mild street "safe" tune that adds around 60 ft lbs of torque at 1500 rpm and about 12 hp. I've been kicking it around myself but have decided to wait; 420 hp is enough for me right now.....not that many Shelby's running around the "farming/country" that I live in. About the only thing around me is cows going MOO!

Ford gear changes are notorious for being noisy and can be a costly endeavour if not properly done the first time. For every Ford owner that has quiet gears on initial install, there are 2 or 3 that have problems. Ford OEM 3.73's are known to be noisy anyway.

Good luck!

Jedi D.

2014 Mustang GT Coupe Premium. Options include: California Special package, comfort package, navigation, glass roof, shaker pro system, 3.73 ratio limited slip axle, GT front grill/fogs, MGW race spec shifter, BBK X-Pipe, Corsa GT500 Quad Sport axle-back, Ford Racing ProCal tune. "If I wanted insane HP, I would have purchased a 2014 Shelby GT500!"
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr12 View Post
The convertible comes with 3:31, there was no option to upgrade to 3:55 or 3.73. Is anyone thinking about upgrading? What would be the cost, including the retune? What are the pros and cons?
Actually the convertible comes with 3.15 differential gear ratio

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioguy View Post
Actually the convertible comes with 3.15 differential gear ratio
Actually the manual convertible only comes with 3.31's and no other gear options.
If you get the auto convertible it comes with 315's just like the coupe.

Assuming the OP has a manual:
I've done the swap and mild difference wasn't worth the money.

Upside:A little peppier from a roll and 6th more useable
Downside: possible rear end noise once there can't be fixed without another swap, extra shifting, 1st gear useless at full throttle, extra shift into 5th in the 1/4 mile, generally expensive to swap

If you are looking to go faster and more response get a good tune with X or H pipe.

2012 5.0 Brembo, AED Performance Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 AB, 3.73, Airaid cai, GT500 SW :yelpleased:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
2011 Mustang GT|GT500 AB |FRPP Tune|6A
2010 Rav4 V6 | 07 Mazdaspeed3| 04 SRT4| 99 GSXR 750
2012 Camaro SS L99 Gone and forgotten
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0ben View Post
Actually the manual convertible only comes with 3.31's and no other gear options.
If you get the auto convertible it comes with 315's just like the coupe.

Assuming the OP has a manual:
I've done the swap and mild difference wasn't worth the money.

Upside:A little peppier from a roll and 6th more useable
Downside: possible rear end noise once there can't be fixed without another swap, extra shifting, 1st gear useless at full throttle, extra shift into 5th in the 1/4 mile, generally expensive to swap

If you are looking to go faster and more response get a good tune with X or H pipe.
Sorry, I misread the post and thought it was a vert auto.

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Going from 3:15's to 3:73's will definitely give you more responsive acceleration in all gears. You might lose some fuel mileage at highway speeds, but there is no free lunch.
As for cost, look at the price of the gears and related parts and count on 4-6 hours of labour to install. Good luck.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr12 View Post
I have a 2011 vert and I even contacted Brenspeed about the upgrade. Just not worth the cost in my opinion. The quote I got for labor and gears was just slightly cheaper than an aluminum driveshaft.
Apprentice

I have 3.73's and have been considering 3.55's for fuel mileage. I drive 80 miles roundtrip to work and have averaged 19.5-20 on the highway. I just got the procal tune from ford racing and am now averaging 22.0 mpg! Woo Hoo! I would love to get 24-25 since 91 octane is 3.80 in kansas. I've learned to skip shifts in town to avoid 5 gear changes to 35 mph.

2013 GT TrackPack Sterling Grey ordered 29 May 12
Build Date 14 August
ETA 19 August 2nd ETA 26 August
arrived 20 August
FRPP ProCal tune, GT 500 spoiler and axelbacks, dealer installed leather, clear bra, tinted windows. Koni Yellow shocks and struts and Steeda Sport springs.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeez11 View Post
Going from 3:15's to 3:73's will definitely give you more responsive acceleration in all gears.
He said he had 3.31's not 3.15's.

2015 Mustang GT Premium Sold

2011 Mustang GT Premium Sold

2003 Mach1 Sold
2.3 Whipple, fully built motor with all the bolt-ons 718 rwhp/735 rwtq Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page