Inexperienced Manual Mustang owners - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Inexperienced Manual Mustang owners

How many Mustang owners went with the manual, but don't have much manual driving experience? I know have to drive stick, but never really had one as my daily driver. I want the performance package and that is manual only, but I am a little nervious about driving stick again. How are some of the inexperienced drivers doing with the new Mustang?

Ordered V6 Premium, Black on Black, Manual, w/every option available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010
GT Member

i have been driving manuals in all my cars but this one is by far the easiest. with the v8 engine and the torque it produces, it is almost impossible to stall the car in 1st gear. just let the clutch out slowly in first and after that, it is cake. the only thing that is still taking me time to get used to is the closeness of the gates.

whenever i turn left from a stop and shift from 1-2, i get almost a grind i guess because i am used to having to go further left to get to second gear. also the clutch engagement point has taken me some getting used to.

edit: didn't see you had a v6 on order. the transmission feel should be fairly identical and your car still should make enough torque to not give you an issue in 1st gear.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe/Brembos/3.73

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010
Apprentice
S197 Member

New

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomest View Post
How many Mustang owners went with the manual, but don't have much manual driving experience? I know have to drive stick, but never really had one as my daily driver. I want the performance package and that is manual only, but I am a little nervious about driving stick again. How are some of the inexperienced drivers doing with the new Mustang?
I ordered a manual and I have only driven a stick a few times. I have not received my Mustang yet so I can't tell you. I know I will learn quickly because I will want it so badly. I almost ordered an auto but changed my mind and decided to get a stick. Should be fun.

Original Order: 5/22/10, Never scheduled.
Canceled by dealer on 8/11/10 (11 weeks).

New Order Placed By dealership: Build Date 8-26-10
Delivered 9-14-10!!!!

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium. 401A, Brembo Brakes, Glass Roof, Navigation, Rear Camera, Security Package, Comfort Package, 3.73 Rear End, 6 Speed Manual. Magnaflow exhaust.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cababah View Post
i have been driving manuals in all my cars but this one is by far the easiest. with the v8 engine and the torque it produces, it is almost impossible to stall the car in 1st gear. just let the clutch out slowly in first and after that, it is cake. the only thing that is still taking me time to get used to is the closeness of the gates.

whenever i turn left from a stop and shift from 1-2, i get almost a grind i guess because i am used to having to go further left to get to second gear. also the clutch engagement point has taken me some getting used to.

edit: didn't see you had a v6 on order. the transmission feel should be fairly identical and your car still should make enough torque to not give you an issue in 1st gear.
Same experience here, especially on the closeness of the gates and shift from 1-2. First week I stalled twice, once in 1st because I released the clutch too fast, once in second coming from a stop sign. That second stall made me end up in the middle of the intersection with the engine stopped :nogrinner but now I'm fine with the tranny.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

That seems odd. I frequently start in 2nd gear from a dead stop with out any issues when i am in slow traffic because 1st gear is just too much, and thats with the 4.6. I suppose it would be possible to stall it starting in second but really, it doesnt take THAT much gas to go even in 2nd.

What gear ratio do you have (just out of curiosity).

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010
Apprentice
S197 Member

A few year ago I went through that, hadn't driven a manual in 25 years. Bought a used Civic with a 5 speed and relearned quick and loved it! Now moved to the 5.0 with manual and it is amazing, no regrets.

EddieZ
Austin, TX

2011 GT Premium 401A, 6 Speed Manual, Performance White, Brick Red w/Cashmere, Electronics Package, Security Package, 3.73 Axle, HID Headlamps
Comfort Package, Brembo Brake Package, Rear Video Camera
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010
Apprentice

I honestly only drove stick once before I got this car and it was a little rough the first couple days but i am now startin to love it.How could one go automatic on such a fun car to drive.

2011 Grabber Blue 5.0=Shelby GT500 spoiler,GT500 Rear Diffuser,CDC Chin Spoiler,Billet gas cap,quarter window louvers,side scoops,19' polished aluminum wheels.
Performance mods=Magnaflow catback and C&L CAI with custom tune.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allentown View Post
That seems odd. I frequently start in 2nd gear from a dead stop with out any issues when i am in slow traffic because 1st gear is just too much, and thats with the 4.6. I suppose it would be possible to stall it starting in second but really, it doesnt take THAT much gas to go even in 2nd.

What gear ratio do you have (just out of curiosity).
It's a convertible, so 3.31. It was all my fault, I released the clutch too fast again. I'm in between two cars for now, one is an automatic, the other one is the Mustang, so switching from one to another makes me do stupid things
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRocket76 View Post
I honestly only drove stick once before I got this car and it was a little rough the first couple days but i am now startin to love it.How could one go automatic on such a fun car to drive.

The Fun factor is why I am getting a stick. A few years back I had a 94 BMW 3-series manual, and I had a lot of fun driving it. I can imagine how much fun my Stang will be.

Ordered V6 Premium, Black on Black, Manual, w/every option available.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomest View Post
The Fun factor is why I am getting a stick. A few years back I had a 94 BMW 3-series manual, and I had a lot of fun driving it. I can imagine how much fun my Stang will be.
I see you ordered the v6 I got the 5.0 so it was pretty crazy getting used to the power at first.Either way Im sure the v6 is going to be very fun to drive as well.Trust me you will love it and since you have driven stick before getting use to it will come in no time.

2011 Grabber Blue 5.0=Shelby GT500 spoiler,GT500 Rear Diffuser,CDC Chin Spoiler,Billet gas cap,quarter window louvers,side scoops,19' polished aluminum wheels.
Performance mods=Magnaflow catback and C&L CAI with custom tune.
Apprentice

One thing inexperienced stick drivers must remember, is to get some experience using the hand brake when you're on a hill. You really don't want to back up to the car behind you, so you have to play with the clutch, the hand brake and the pedal to get a clean start and that can be a challenge if you're not used to doing it. And never ever forget to use the hand bake when you park. The car will go on a ride by itself if you forget and you're on a slope.
SVS
Apprentice

I ride Motorcycles. Obviously we have to SHIFT them. The one thing you don't do is start off on high performance motorcycle as a new rider.

Driving is all together different once you enter a properly built car that is a stick...You're basically like a new rider on a BIKE.

I'll disagree with others that is a good car to learn on, easy to drive.

This is not a beginners car. Not the GT.

It's a serious weapon and needs to be wielded by someone with experience.

I bet there are tons of these cars wadded up by those who don't have the skill for them.

Old thread I know but it's Friday and I'm fishing in the back.

-----------------------------------------------
Gas in Tank, Key in Ignition, Foot to the Floor--
Thank you FORD!!!!!
Apprentice

it's like riding a bike!

GT perf. white 401A
Secr.pkg,comf.pkg,3.55
GT500 A/Bs,Roush billet grill,GT/CS facia w/fogs,oil catch can,
hood struts,Kappa Infinity6829s.Body color side skirts & rear
valance,STEEDA,sports,adj.GT 500 mounts, upper & lower control arms,bumpsteer kit,x11 ball joints,panhard bar,KONI yellows,Omega Godspeed wheels staggered,295/30/20 rear, 255/35/20'front.
Apprentice

I haven't driven an manual in over 20 years. Got in the 6 speed 5.0 and was heaven. Never stalled. Little rusty going from first to second extra smooth. Besides that no issues.

More importantly my wife has also not driven a manual in over 20 years. Since owning the 5.0 she stalled once in a parking lot. That's it. She says it's smooth shifting.

You'll be fine.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr12 View Post
One thing inexperienced stick drivers must remember, is to get some experience using the hand brake when you're on a hill. You really don't want to back up to the car behind you, so you have to play with the clutch, the hand brake and the pedal to get a clean start and that can be a challenge if you're not used to doing it.
I know exactly what you mean. Back in India, I was teaching my sis' how to drive a stick. She stalled the car on an uphill road. She got all nervous and stalled the car again for like 8-10 times before I got out, and we switched. We stopped the traffic behind us for a good 5 mins. LOL.
Personally, I have driven a manual all my life and I can get the car going uphill from a complete stop without having to use the hand brake. Requires a little practice and quick feet I guess.

2011 V6 Mustang Premium, Rapid 201A Spec, Manual, Black Ext/Saddle Int, White OTT Stripes, Backup Camera.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page