Water spots must die... - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Exclamation Water spots must die...

Its been raining alot and i have a nice ( so fun ) black stang and every time i get the entire car covered in spots... My wax beeds the rain up but doesnt run off the car... Any suggestions, remedy's to prevent the majority of waterspots?

2011 BLACK V6 Premium Mustang
Pony Package
Dark Blue metallic reverse C stripe
Muffler delete - 4" tips
JLT CAI
Bama Performance Tune
15% window tint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010
GT Member

water spots suck! if you don't get them off soon enough, the mineral deposits cake onto your paint and you have to use a mild acidic wash with vinegar to rinse them off.

whenever i come into contact with stupid sprinklers while driving, i make a note to spot wash the areas with a microfiber and wet rag to prevent water spots.

in your case, i would recommend a water-proof car cover or a thicker brand of wax to help protect against those deposits.

i HATE HATE HATE sprinklers for this reason. the area i live in is always windy and even if you are not close to the sprinklers the wind will blow a neighbor's sprinkler water over to you and mist your car

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe/Brembos/3.73

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Being the younger brother i dont get the garage ever... So it gets its fair share of rain and here in texas its kinda acidic rain so it hits hard with spots. Viniger wash? Never heard of that...?

2011 BLACK V6 Premium Mustang
Pony Package
Dark Blue metallic reverse C stripe
Muffler delete - 4" tips
JLT CAI
Bama Performance Tune
15% window tint

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-GAD View Post
Being the younger brother i dont get the garage ever... So it gets its fair share of rain and here in texas its kinda acidic rain so it hits hard with spots. Viniger wash? Never heard of that...?
How to Eliminate Water Spots, Water Spot Removal by autoMedia

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe/Brembos/3.73

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010
Apprentice

Yeah water spots make the car appear as if it hasn't been washed in a while, and the minerals in the water could damage your clear coat if they're allowed to "bake" in the sun. I find the best solution is to use a good wax to prevent against most water spotting (I use Zaino). Then wash you car at least once a week to remove any spots that may have formed.

The water/vinegar solution works very well, but remember it may dull or even strip your wax. I find this makes it impractical because you'll find yourself waxing your car everytime you use the w/v solution.

Anyhow, good luck getting those spots off!

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Premium.
Kona Blue Metallic ext with white Lemans stripes. and Dark Charcoal Leather int. Auto Trans., 19 x 8.5-inch machined face with painted spoke aluminum wheels. Roush Axle-Back Exhaust & CDC Chin Spoiler.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Days like this i am thankful my car sits in a garage around 20+ days a month!

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I know your pain. my rear window and quarters have some baked on water spots from the previous owner. I tried vinegar, and cleaners and bug and tar remover. All to no avail, luckily the paint isn't water spotted and you can't see the spots on the windows unless you are up close and take a good look at the windows.

2015 Oxford White GT Manual Transmission
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Manual Transmission - Sold.
2012 Grabber Blue V6 - T-boned and totaled.
2008 Performance White V6 - SOLD!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010
SHELBY GT-40 ULTIMATE Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to jim293
A clay bar will take the water spots away also. But then you need to re wax. The clay bar will strip all the wax off your car.

2002 Saleen S/C Coupe
#293 Torch Red
21st Century Intercooler & Heat Exchanger
Brembo Brakes
Corbeau Seats
#14 RMR (Red Mustang Registry)
Power in the hands of a few
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cababah View Post
water spots suck! if you don't get them off soon enough, the mineral deposits cake onto your paint and you have to use a mild acidic wash with vinegar to rinse them off.

whenever i come into contact with stupid sprinklers while driving, i make a note to spot wash the areas with a microfiber and wet rag to prevent water spots.

in your case, i would recommend a water-proof car cover or a thicker brand of wax to help protect against those deposits.

i HATE HATE HATE sprinklers for this reason. the area i live in is always windy and even if you are not close to the sprinklers the wind will blow a neighbor's sprinkler water over to you and mist your car

Amen, plus also hate when ppl put grass clippings in the street and it sticks to the car and in the grille

2011 Black GT Premium
Auto, 401A, Shaker 1000, Comfort Package,
18 inch rims, 50/50 Window Tint, Mrt
Rear hinged window louvers, 5.0 Flowmaster
American Thunders.
Boss Quad Exhaust
Ordered 2/9/10
Arrived 4/29/10
PONY Member

I refuse to take my car out of the garage. However, my wife has 1800 miles on it! JK!!!

Larry - SGM (Ret) US Army

2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible
Kona Blue, Stone Leather, Stone Top
6 Speed Auto, 2.73, Comfort Pkg, etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page