Ordering Process Questions - Just Ordered First Mustang - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Ordering Process Questions - Just Ordered First Mustang

I just ordered my first Mustang from a local dealer - a 2011 v6 Premium Convertible in Race Red, with automatic transmission (never learned to drive stick) and rear camera, but not much else for options.

The ordering process seemed a bit odd - after we settled on what I wanted and we had the Vehicle Order Confirmation printout (though apparently taken while the screen was still at 'press F4 to Submit'), they ran my credit, and I made a $500 deposit (with only the credit card receipt to show for it). We had agreed upon price before the deposit, written on this confirmation printout with mine and the dealer's initials by it - hardly binding, I know. Other than my own initials on this printout (none of this paper was made for signatures), the only other stuff I signed was the CC receipt and the credit-report related paperwork.

Does this sound normal? Was there other paperwork that should have been signed? Just want to make sure this was a normal method of handling the order.

I'm very nervous in general about this - I think the color I chose, Race Red, makes me the most nervous. It will be an attention grabber, but I hope it doesn't attract too much of the wrong kind of attention. Now that I've ordered, I'm unsure. If I'm still feeling this nervous in the morning, I might call the dealer and ask them to change it to White (if it's not too late).

Finally, I'm getting a dealer installed alarm - same one they install on all the vehicles in their lot, and offer to remove when you buy. I was led to believe the Security Package alarm won't detect anyone messing with the top. Alternatively I could have an after market one installed; I haven't committed to having the alarm put in.

Any advice would be appreciated!

2011 Mustang v6 Premium Convertible
Race Red, Saddle Interior, Black Top
Pony Package, Automatic, Security Package, Rear Camera, Convertible Boot
Ordered July 18, VIN received August 10 and posted August 19
Built August 23-25, Delivered September 7 (ETA of 5)
Purchased at Santa Margarita Ford
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010
Apprentice
S197 Member

Nice choice!

I don't think that order process sounds too strange. I signed one of the order forms. I believe it was to prove that it was a Retail Order.

I didn't start thinking about the Red attracting cops until well after I ordered. I'm just going to have to get some stickers to counteract that.

I'm real happy with my car. I hope to keep it for a LONG time.

2011 V6 Premium Convertible, Race Red, Black Top, Charcoal Leather, Auto, Pony Package, Security System
Ordered 04/12, Window Sticker 06/04, Built 06/09, On a Train 06/11,
ETA 06/26, Delivered 06/26, Picked up 06/29
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

That process sounds close to ours when ordering our CS. We did our order sheet and gave them a check. The gave us copies of everything and off we went.

They called a couple of times confirming everything was correct and we called back a couple of times making sure everything was correct. About two weeks went by and our vin # was available and we had a build date. The rest was history and all went well. Just don't forget to check with them at least once a week on status.

For your decision on Red. I wouldn't worry about it. The color will not determine what happens. We owned a 2002 Camaro, Red and a Z28. Not one stop, one ticket or problem in 9 years (and we are somewhat agressive drivers and maybe a little lucky too)

For that alarm system. Well, you make the choice but each time one was installed on my cars it was removed (total of 3). The factory alarm is much better with intrusion sensors and other features not included with the system offered by your dealer. My experience is they were unreliable, went off without reason and could not be set to any meaning level of protection. If memory serves me the dealer unit is made by Audiovox.

My opinion (for what it's worth) get the factory installed unit since you are ordering it. The cost is about the same and you have a factory installed alarm, wheel locks and not some cheezy dealer add on. Two dealers local in Phoenix do it and after dealing with them (trying to get it removed) I can honestly say I would never set foot on thier lot again.

I can't comment on how a dealer installed unit would be special for a vert but really can't say whether the factory unit would be any different. Lots of folks here have factory units installed on their convertables so I am sure someone will chime in.

Best of luck with your choices and looking forward to seeing the pics when it comes in.

2008 Shelby GT500 Torch Red / Black - FRP Stingers, Factory Nav, Ambient lighting, HID, Leather Upgrade Package, Seq Tail Lights, Etc..

2011 V6 MCA Edition Ingot Silver / Stone (1 of 6) - Traded

2011 5.0 Grabber Blue GT/CS (1 of 18) - Hers - Auto, Shaker 1000, HID, Comfort and Secuity

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks for that feedback. I'm so excited, can't wait to get my car - sounds like we have almost same build Red Rider, though I opted for Saddle interior.

I'll see if the dealer can modify the order to add the Security Package.

Snopes says the 'red cars attract more tickets' rumor was disproven based on a study by a news reporter... let's hope that's right! I tend to follow the traffic laws - this is for commuting and cruising with the wife, not for racing, so hopefully my only worry will be meddlesome kids...

2011 Mustang v6 Premium Convertible
Race Red, Saddle Interior, Black Top
Pony Package, Automatic, Security Package, Rear Camera, Convertible Boot
Ordered July 18, VIN received August 10 and posted August 19
Built August 23-25, Delivered September 7 (ETA of 5)
Purchased at Santa Margarita Ford
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010
Rookie

Order Form/$750 bucks

Maine,

I just ordered my 5.0 on Saturday and I signed the Vehicle Order Form and gave my deposit, same process.

Look into the $750 coupon offer from Ford. Call Ford Customer Service 800-392-3673, Press 4 for sales and marketing, and tell them you just ordered a new Mustang. (They will love on you right away) Ask for the car's brochure to be sent to your house, and from what I understand, the brochure contains a $750 coupon you can you when you pick up the car. I am still waiting for my brochure so I cannot verify but others on this site have received them and they do contain the coupon.

Brock

Ordered: 7/21/2010
2011 Grabber Blue GT/CS Vert
VIN#: 9/1/2010
Build date: 9/8/2010
Shipped: 9/14/2010
Delivered: 9/27/10
2 days shy of 10 weeks from order to delivery.
In the Stable: 1988 Coupe/Notch 5.0 5sp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page