Looking for exhaust opinions for new 5.0 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Looking for exhaust opinions for new 5.0

I just traded in my 2006 4.6 for the new 5.0. I really want to put some axle back exhaust on it and all the companies are making them as we speak. Flowmaster is almost finished with the Hushpower and the American Thunder. I want a pretty aggressive sound. Any opinions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010
Snackmaster

Welcome to AFM! I've not heard the new 5.0 to see what it sounds like in stock form so I don't know what sound is good with the aftermarket systems. Let's see if the guys and gals here can help you out.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010
Apprentice

I can tell you I have about 700 miles on mine and the stock sounds much better than it did when I bought it (54 miles on it). I am thinking it has to be broke in a bit before you get the actual exhaust sound (stock 5.0).

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks Guys

Yeah, I have about 1200 miles on it now. I like the sound of it, I just wish it was louder. There is a youtube video with a 2011 5.0 with the hushpower exhaust on it and it seems like it sounds pretty good.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

If you want something that sounds aggressive, check with Bassani I know that I have Bassani from the heads back on my 04 MACH1 and you don't get more aggressive then that. It sounds awesome not obnoxious, and that's the sound you're looking for. Some of my cars have Magnaflow, and sound quite well. My 96 SVT Cobra Convertible, which is far from stock and I just put on the Flowmaster Force II System. Idles nice, cruises nice without any interior resonance. But when you step on it, it sounds quite aggressive quiet otherwise but you don't want to attract the wrong attention if you know what I mean, Mike. P.S. You can try MustangExhaust.com, and see if they have any sound clips for the 2011's yet, Mike.

70 BOSS,with a 71 429 SCJ 8.0:1 compression with an F-3 Pro Charger and 39lbs. of boost. Rectangular Tube Chassis, Custom 17" Magnum 500 Wheels. Just way too much to list, but what a ride. P.S. Hang on tight!!!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I think choosing the best sounding /performing exhaust is very subjective.I feel my Magnaflow set up is the best sounding exhaust in the History of mankind It's deep and on the loud side but not obnoxious.I went with the competition series catback #15590 and the catted X-pipe #16399 this exhaust along with the Steeda CAI/tune has transformed my car into a absolute monster.

The sound clips will give you a idea but you need to hear the different exhaust in person if possible.This new 5.0 puts out a mean exhaust sound with the right combo.I'm thrilled I was able to get this sound and performance and still be legal.

I considered longtubes and O/R X-pipe but in California it would not be legal so I retained the factory manifolds.I ordered everything before my car actually arrived and when it came in I was ready to go.The aftermarket is responding quick so you will have lots of optionssorry for the novel

2011 Performance white base GT 6MT 3.73 gears(sold)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilla8 View Post
I think choosing the best sounding /performing exhaust is very subjective.I feel my Magnaflow set up is the best sounding exhaust in the History of mankind It's deep and on the loud side but not obnoxious.I went with the competition series catback #15590 and the catted X-pipe #16399 this exhaust along with the Steeda CAI/tune has transformed my car into a absolute monster.

The sound clips will give you a idea but you need to hear the different exhaust in person if possible.This new 5.0 puts out a mean exhaust sound with the right combo.I'm thrilled I was able to get this sound and performance and still be legal.

I considered longtubes and O/R X-pipe but in California it would not be legal so I retained the factory manifolds.I ordered everything before my car actually arrived and when it came in I was ready to go.The aftermarket is responding quick so you will have lots of optionssorry for the novel
how is the drone on the highway?

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe/Brembos/3.73

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010

We are running Magnaflow's on our 2011 5.0 and they sound awesome. Quiet in the cabin while crusing but they open up when you get on the throttle. They also sound very nice outside the car.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cababah View Post
how is the drone on the highway?
I'll be taking a nice little road trip up the coast to Santa Clara tomorrow and I'll report back on the drone if any.I'm one of those performance nuts that dont care about drone but I realize it can bother most people:smilie

2011 Performance white base GT 6MT 3.73 gears(sold)
Apprentice

I have the Magnaflow Axle Back Muffler Deletes. Sounds great on start up, idle and WOT. But we took it on a 1000 mile road trip and there was quite a bit of drone at 70 MPH or so, about 2000 RPM's. Nothing that a little radio coudn't deal with, but it could be annoying to some.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks for all the help guys. Much appreciated
PONY Member

My car was used as the bassani prototype, it sounds awesome. I posted a video on here with the sound clips

2013 Boss 302
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin246 View Post
I just traded in my 2006 4.6 for the new 5.0. I really want to put some axle back exhaust on it and all the companies are making them as we speak. Flowmaster is almost finished with the Hushpower and the American Thunder. I want a pretty aggressive sound. Any opinions?
All the Flowmaster kits are done & will be shipping next week!

The Hushpower kit sounds pretty good IMHO, but sound is objective. Plus you can hardly see the muffler from behind the car & the tips fit the valance nicely.

American Thunder sound clips coming soon!

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ound-clip.html

Jonathan McDonald
LatemodelRestoration.com
Your 1979 Mustang to 2012 Mustang Parts Source
Phone (254) 296-6500
We will price match any reputable company's advertised pricing on any product we carry!
GT Member

Stock sounds great!

Bryce
---------
Track Rat #1 - VF supercharged e46 bimmer
Track Rat #2 - Kona 5.0 Premium | 3.73 MT82 | 400A | glass roof | saddle int. | Brembo Pkg | Com. & Sec. Pkg | camera | HID | Nav | no stripes | MM camberplates | Bilstein springs & Eibach dampers | Stock 368 RWHP @ 6700 / 354 TQ @ 4375 - Build Date 6-17-10
Sunny Day: Kawasaki 1600 with hypercharger and tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page