information on the 2011 Mustang hood scoop - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

information on the 2011 Mustang hood scoop

Can any one provide information regarding the 2011 hood scoop?

My dealer quoted the shaker hood at $1200 on top of the California Premium package. I am concerned about spending so much if it doesn't provide any function.

I am buying directly from the factory line so any information would be appreciated.

Thank you kindly!

Last edited by mcalavicci; 08-03-2010 at 12:52 PM. Reason: spell checked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010
GT Member

dealers will charge you an arm and a leg and i personally hate hood scoops on mustangs or any scoops that are non-functional for that matter. you wonder why they charge you so much for a piece of plastic that can't take that long to actually install. i have heard of dealers charging 400-500 dollars for a shift knob install??? seriously? they are certified techs and it would take them a day or two by that price to install a shift knob?

i prefer the clean look of the factory hood but that is just my opinion..maybe i have gotten sick of all the older mustangs running around with fake hood scoops

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe/Brembos/3.73

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010
PONY Member

Dont get the hood scoop package. It comes with that pedastal spoiler. Spoiler isnt bad but the hood scoop just looks like garbage. Sorry if i offend anyone.

2011 Mustang GT Premium - Race Red w/ Black Stripe - Brembo Package - Shaker 1000
2003 F150 FX4 5.4L - 3in lift
Semper Paratus
"They say money doesn't buy happiness. That phrase should end with 'just kidding" -Daniel Tosh

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010
PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Hey, Classic Design Concepts is the company that developed the Shaker Hood system for ford on the 2010-11 mustangs. They had one of their systems set up at the 2009 Detroit Auto Show. I got a link for you from their website. The same system ford is trying to sell you for 1200 is 900 from CDC. But this isnt including install. So if your comfortable cutting your own hood then great but I think the little extra to have it installed isnt bad. I personally do not like the look of the Shaker hoods on the newer body mustangs so I would never spend that kind of money for something that isnt going to give you any significant power boost. I would take that 1200 and apply it to some motor mods or some sweet exhaust...

Classic Design Concepts 2010 Shaker System

2010, GT Premium, Grabber blue, Electronics package, 5 speed, 3.73s, AR LTH's, Catted X-Pipe, 3" exhaust, Bassani mufflers, Airaid CAI, SCT tune, Ford Racing Short Throw Shifter, Performance clutch, Boss 302 Front/rear Fascia, H&R SS drop springs, DIY Boss grille, Gold 19" SVE rims, Custom hood stripe, matte black roof, Roush rocker splitters, Ford Racing tow hook kit, and SIGNED BY VAUGHN GITTIN JR!

SOON: Front adjustable splitter, RTR rear splitter, BOOST
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the link... I put my dealer on the spot after reading the information here. I am on the fence but will likely pass on the Shaker.

Appreciate all the comments... $1200 can go a long way on other products.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010
Apprentice
S197 Member

The shaker kit is funtional and I believe I found it somewhere for like 800, just depends on how confident one is in their "handy" skills... I think they look great, very nastalgic... (sp?)

2011 3.7 Race Red, 20in Torque Thrust II Staggered, Custom Magnaflow with Custom H Pipe, Tint 25%, Jon Lund Tunes
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010
PONY Member

hood scoop

I like the factory hood scoop....that's why I have one on order!

2004 SY Cobra, Pulley, CAI, Exhaust, Baer Brakes (458 rwhp & 479 rwtq) Projected completion June 2012

2011 RaceRed 5.0 6M; Brembo's, HIDs, Security, & 3.73s; 738 rwhp & 531 rwtq - Sold

2012 Limited Expedition EL
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrenched View Post
I like the factory hood scoop....that's why I have one on order!
The $200 or so factory hood scoop is a non-functional decoration.

This Shaker unit is also an actual air ram, which will improve engine power.

2011 Mustang v6 Premium Convertible
Race Red, Saddle Interior, Black Top
Pony Package, Automatic, Security Package, Rear Camera, Convertible Boot
Ordered July 18, VIN received August 10 and posted August 19
Built August 23-25, Delivered September 7 (ETA of 5)
Purchased at Santa Margarita Ford
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010
Apprentice

I know the factory scoop isn't functional, but I think it gives the car a more aggressive look. The same with the other exterior dress up components. I won't be bringing my car to the drag strip, but will take advantage of a few track days throughout the year just to let her stretch her legs every once in a while. Since mine will be a daily driver, I'm not incredibly worried about only spending money on performance upgrades. I do plan on replacing the factory stripes with a stripe design that'll help the scoop blend in with the hood a little more since it is a piece mounted on top of the hood and you can see the break between the two.

2011 Mustang GT premium, Kona Blue, black over the top stipe, 6-spd manual, 3:73 gears, Brembo Brake Package, Comfort Package, Electronics Package, Coupe Package #5, Steeda CAI w/ Brenspeed tune
Rookie

I like the look of the factory hood scoop (See photo in my profile). . Steeda offers a functional hood scoop that looks pretty good.

SILVERBOSS
2011 Mustang GT Prem.
Automatic, Spoiler, Hood scoop, Side louvers, rally stripes
Rookie

I ordered one for my 2011 v6.
It should look good on my MCA Package.

2011 Mustang V6 Black & Dark Charcoal Leather: Mustang Club of America package, automatic, electronics pkg, dual zone a/c, security pkg, HID headlights, comfort pkg, 3.31 limited slip, remote starter, rear camera, side scoops, hood scoop, 1/4 window louvers, & locking fuel plug.
ALL AT INVOICE... Order Date:08/07/09 Build Start: 09/08/10 Shipped:10/06/10 Delivered:10/14/10 MINE:10/22/10
GT Member

I don't get the fake hood scoop thing. Same with the silly hood pins. Call me old, or new... not sure which.

Bryce
---------
Track Rat #1 - VF supercharged e46 bimmer
Track Rat #2 - Kona 5.0 Premium | 3.73 MT82 | 400A | glass roof | saddle int. | Brembo Pkg | Com. & Sec. Pkg | camera | HID | Nav | no stripes | MM camberplates | Bilstein springs & Eibach dampers | Stock 368 RWHP @ 6700 / 354 TQ @ 4375 - Build Date 6-17-10
Sunny Day: Kawasaki 1600 with hypercharger and tune.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via MSN to fox_granit
ok I wanted the pedistal spoiler really bad, my wife was liking the scoop. I wanted rear window covers, but I hate the side scoops. It was too much to do the window crap, so we went with the #4 package. Personally I think it makes the car look MEAN and I like it. Now I understand those who want something functional, and I'm ok with that. I understand there are those who think no scoop is needed, and that's ok too. That the best thing about having s197 Mustang, so many options to make it all yours......

2x 2011 GT Premiums, 401a, #4 package, tint and stripes

Yeah owning two 5.0s is awesome, but you want to know what's better?
Having a wife who knows how to drive them!
PONY Member
S197 Member

If you have any kind of scoops and you like your car, that's fantastic, but the scoops on 99.99% of street cars are NOT functional as anything more than a fresh air source, and that is a poor choice for a fresh air source.

Here's a great explanation by Sqidd:
Quote:
All of those “Shaker Scoops” or the use of “Ram Air” anywhere in their description is borderline misrepresentation. The “Shaker” scoops are cold air inlets if anything. They will get ZERO ram air effect because they are not even close to as tall as they need to be to get into the airstream coming off of the front of the car. Check out this wind tunnel work on a Mustang with excellent aero at the nose (its about a minute twenty in). Even with the excellent aero the air hitting the front of the car is being pushed up and ends up way above the surface of the hood. And that is even a tall hood. A Mustang with a stock front end kicks the air up even more which makes the airstream even further above the surface of the hood. There is a reason Pro Stock cars have those big tall scoops on them. It’s because they have to be up there to work. They wouldn’t make them that tall if they didn’t have too (and they didn’t make them that tall for hood clearance).

So there ya go, the Shaker “inlets” are nothing more than attractive (to some) pieces to get air from outside of the engine compartment.
The video he is referring to is this:
YouTube - E85 Mustang at Talladega
Apprentice
S197 Member

i personally like the scoop myself. like some1 else said, it makes the car look mean.

now, I would like to know if this hood here from Roush its coming out soon. cause its cool looking.

Manny

2011 Ford Mustang 5.0 GT/CS, 6spd A/T, Electronic Pkg, Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg
FRPP M-FR3-MGTA Handling Pack | Steeda CAI & Tune | Custom Magnaflow & Bassani X | Foose 20"s | 35% Tint | Saleen grill

Last piece of the puzzle:
Saleen S281 Powerflow Hood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page