Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

2011 Mustang Coupe or Convertible?

Damn since the Performance Package is out for the V6, the choice got harder for me between the coupe or convertible... The Performance Package is not available with the convertible, so here are my choices:

1) 2011 Ford Mustang Premium V6 6-Speed Manual
Performance White
Mustang Club of America Package
V6 Performance Package
Security Package
3.31 Limited Slip Rear Axle Ratio
HID Headlamps
19" X 8.5" Black Painted / Machined Aluminum Wheel
Saddle Leather Seats
Comfort Package
SYNC® In-Car Connectivity System
SIRIUS Satellite Radio
Shaker 500 Audio System
AM/FM Stereo with Single-CD
Side Scoops
Pedestal Decklid Spoiler
For: $31,540

2) 2011 Ford Mustang Premium Convertible V6 6-Speed Manual
Performance White
V6 Premium Pony Package
Security Package
HID Headlamps
18-Inch Polished Aluminum Wheels
Saddle Leather Seats
Comfort Package
SYNC® In-Car Connectivity System
SIRIUS Satellite Radio
Shaker 500 Audio System
AM/FM Stereo with Single-CD
Side Scoops
Pedestal Decklid Spoiler
For: $34,652

My thoughts:
- Too bad the Performance Package doesn't work with the Pony Package; I prefer the Pony Package over the MCA Package.
- The Convertible is about 3000$ more, but it's a convertible..., it's nice to drive in a convertible...
- The curves and shape of the Coupe is a bit nicer than the Convertible, and with these packages it really is a hit for me..., but it is nice to drive in a Convertible...

I'm looking to keep this car for some years to come, so I don't want to make the wrong choice, I really do like both; Coupe & Convertible. If it wasn't for the Performance Package, I'll get the Convertible, but since it's there...
In the long term, it might be better to go for the Coupe instead of the Convertible?

Any suggestions and ideas are welcome, it's a hard choice!!

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010
PONY Member

Verts are pretty decent for California. You can keep the top down most of the time. It's personal preference though. Drive both, buy the one you like better. It's really a question of style vs performance. The V6 handles great even without the performance package.

Take a look at the Saddle in person before you buy. It's not for everyone.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe Sterling Grey/Black int
3.73, Brembos, Electronics package, HIDs
Ordered : 07/07/10
Sticker : 08/25/10
Build Date : 08/30/10
Delivery Date: 09/15/10
post #3 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010
Apprentice

I'm biased - I'm going to be purchasing a convertible sometime in the next 6 months...

I drove a new GT convertible. The top fits great and the mechanical parts are non-intrusive. When it's up it feels to me just like being inside a coupe.

Now, some folks care what their car looks like to other people, but all I care about is what it looks like to me, and sitting in that convertible, the car was a sweet ride indeed. Most of my time will be spent on the inside looking out.

post #4 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010
PONY Member

I am not sure if you have sat in a convertible before Ashphalt and if you have not, try taking a convertible Mustang out, I think that you will find once you've driven one, you will immediately know your choice. I was actually going to test-drive a Taurus, a race red 6m GT was just sitting there. Drove the GT then drove a convertible (the convertible was V6 auto, but still), I immediately knew what I wanted.

If you've already test driven both, and you're still asking... flip a coin :P
post #5 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Thanks all for your thoughts, I see you all prefer the convertible..., it is nice. Still wondering tho...

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
post #6 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010
PONY Member

I have a convertible - in Canada, where I cannot really have the top down for 6 months of the year. That should tell you something about it
post #7 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010
Rookie
V6 Member

im same as kordasn. I live in canada.. we actually live an hour apart.. we have long winters.. and i still got a convertible

SCT 93 BAMA RACE TUNE, AM CAI
more to come...
post #8 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03VertV6stick View Post
im same as kordasn. I live in canada.. we actually live an hour apart.. we have long winters.. and i still got a convertible
My understanding is that you get worse winters than I do, do you run your mustang at all in the winter? Winter tires? Studded?
post #9 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Obviously you prefer the convertible then, even if you can drive it only half the time with the top down. It is nice, as I rented some, but in the long term, the top doesn't get used too quickly?

Apprentice

We had a VW Beetle convertible for a few years . There is nothing like it when you drive with the top down and not a worry in the world as you enjoy your blissful state of mind. When it it is too hot or cold, your car transforms into a semi hardtop with heat and AC. I find that your aggressions and forced speed up of modern day life has moved into the back seats and your BP and heart rate have lowered to life extending levels.

I spent a few weeks in California a few years ago and I drove the Pacific Coast Highway from SF to LA and visited Sacramento and San Diego. If I had the time I would have drove through the mountains and Northern Ca. 18 mile drive in Pebble beach was worth every dollar . Instead of taking a maddening air flight to an expensive resort, just drive and explore this great country.

California has perfect weather compared to many other states. One of my missed pleasures is driving to work with the top down when it was chilly and using the seat heaters to warm my bottom. Cars on either side of me were weaving in and out of traffic to only hit every stop light. Oh to view the landscape of drivers guzzlng coffee and getting riled up before they even entered the workplace they despised in the morn and later cursed at dusk.

I cherished the dichotomy between my cool upper torso and toasty bottom and patiently await the day in the future when my Candy Apple red convertible shows up to restore the balance I long for in my sporadic discordant life.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Cowboy View Post
Obviously you prefer the convertible then, even if you can drive it only half the time with the top down. It is nice, as I rented some, but in the long term, the top doesn't get used too quickly?

I don't know what you mean by quickly. Frequently? I put the top down almost every time I drive. For me, it's like putting the windows down, which is something I do all the time. I get in the car, open the hatches, put the top down - start, drive away.

Quickly, it takes about 20s or so (I have not timed it) to put the top down, or up, I would say that is pretty quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKinSFLA View Post
We had a VW Beetle convertible for a few years . There is nothing like it when you drive with the top down and not a worry in the world as you enjoy your blissful state of mind. When it it is too hot or cold, your car transforms into a semi hardtop with heat and AC. I find that your aggressions and forced speed up of modern day life has moved into the back seats and your BP and heart rate have lowered to life extending levels.

I spent a few weeks in California a few years ago and I drove the Pacific Coast Highway from SF to LA and visited Sacramento and San Diego. If I had the time I would have drove through the mountains and Northern Ca. 18 mile drive in Pebble beach was worth every dollar . Instead of taking a maddening air flight to an expensive resort, just drive and explore this great country.

California has perfect weather compared to many other states. One of my missed pleasures is driving to work with the top down when it was chilly and using the seat heaters to warm my bottom. Cars on either side of me were weaving in and out of traffic to only hit every stop light. Oh to view the landscape of drivers guzzlng coffee and getting riled up before they even entered the workplace they despised in the morn and later cursed at dusk.

I cherished the dichotomy between my cool upper torso and toasty bottom and patiently await the day in the future when my Candy Apple red convertible shows up to restore the balance I long for in my sporadic discordant life.

It's a feeling of bliss or zen
Rookie
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kordasn View Post
My understanding is that you get worse winters than I do, do you run your mustang at all in the winter? Winter tires? Studded?

haha no I wouldnt say we get worse winters.. waterloo is only 1 hour south of toronto.. We have pretty much exactly the same winters. I don't drive it in the winter though just because I dont want rust.. The heaters in these stangs are powerful though you definately could if you wanted to.

SCT 93 BAMA RACE TUNE, AM CAI
more to come...
Rookie
S197 Member

I live in New England and I have a convertible and I love it! Sure the winters may not be as bad as Canada...but it is still saying something. For the past two winters my '05 sat from November (or whenever the first snow falls) until April. I have a "beater car" i use in the winter.

I just hope I get my 2011 while the weather is still nice!

California = convertible. No brainer!

2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Kona Blue Metallic - 202A, White Tape Stripe, Charcoal Int / Roof, Security, Comfort, Rear Video Camera.

Ordered: 7/3 | Processed: 7/14 | VIN: 7/21 | Built: 8/16-8/23 | Shipped: 8/29 | Delivered: 9/8
post #14 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKinSFLA View Post

You're so right! I still remember cruising down the highway 1 between San Francisco & Los Angeles in a Mustang Convertible that I rented; no Coupe will give these feelings! I made up my mind; it will be a convertible and so much for the Performance Package...
One thing I still hesitate about is; automatic or manual?

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Cowboy View Post
You're so right! I still remember cruising down the highway 1 between San Francisco & Los Angeles in a Mustang Convertible that I rented; no Coupe will give these feelings! I made up my mind; it will be a convertible and so much for the Performance Package...
One thing I still hesitate about is; automatic or manual?
That comes down to, do you want more control over the car and gearshifting, or do you want to cruise and let it take care of itself?

You're looking at a convertible - that's what I have on order myself - so you probably want it more for cruising, not for racing or show of power/speed. Same reason the Performance Package isn't available with 'vert, nor the differential upgrades. It's a stiffer body as well, to make up for the lack of a solid roof.

Of course, if you are comfortable with driving M/T, that's about $1k cheaper than A/T.

2011 Mustang v6 Premium Convertible
Race Red, Saddle Interior, Black Top
Pony Package, Automatic, Security Package, Rear Camera, Convertible Boot
Ordered July 18, VIN received August 10 and posted August 19
Built August 23-25, Delivered September 7 (ETA of 5)
Purchased at Santa Margarita Ford
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page