Steering Wheel button quality - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie

Wow- mine too 2011 V6 w/ 20K miles, buttons peeling!

This is just not acceptable, will be contacting Tamiami Ford in Naples FLA to schedule warranty replacement of at least two of these buttons on steering wheel. Man it ticks me off at night. $33K Car, lax design quality for components that human beings will constantly interact with.

Other then that, My Candy Red V6 is still my baby!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

MACH I Member
S197 Member

I'll update this because the last time I posted I had not experienced any fading/wear issues, I know have a small line on my volume up and track forward buttons. My 08 GT never had any wear, and I'm very particular about what I use to clean the inside of my car.... As far as getting it fixed, I've got bigger fish to fry..

Some people lead the way blindly, Others follow with 20/20 vision

Aaron S.
2011 5.0| MT82| White/Saddle|HID|Brembo|3.73| GT/CS Fascia| Saleen Grill| DynaTech LT's and O/R X| AFCO Aluminum Radiator | J&M LCA's & RELO's|Hurst Billet + | Eibach Pro Springs| KONI STR-T |Bama93| Airaid| 255/40/19(f)285/35/19(r) Kuhmo ECSTA XS|

Gone but not forgotten
|08 Mustang GT, MT Black| 05 IS 300 MT Black| 00 Camaro SS MT Black|95 Acura Integra GSR MT Black | 91 Prelude Si 4WS MT Black|

GT Member

Simple answer, don't use your nails. Shouldn't be too hard.

My car is 1.5 years old, still looks new. Use them a lot.

-2012 Grabber Blue GT 6M Premium w/ Brembos, Glass Roof, HID security pkg, Rear Camera, 401a, FRPP GT500 Axle-backs, Front Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, JHR bracket, Bondra clutch extension.
-1986 Mazda RX-7 GX - Fast Mirage 16" Wheels, Sumo Firenza 205/60R Tires, slotted brakes + performance pads. Otherwise factory stock.
-2008 Mazda Mazda3 GT Sport - Stock, 5MT.
-2004 Volvo XC90 T5 - Comfort pkg, safety pkg.
-1995 Infiniti G20 - Sold, Pioneer head unit, lighting mods, miss it dearly.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
Simple answer, don't use your nails.
That didn't work on my vehicle. I only used the pad of my finger and the buttons still failed.

2011 GT Mustang - Performance White / Brick Red - Cashmere : 401A : Brembo : Electronics PKG : Spoiler Delete : 3.73:1 : Glass Roof : Comfort PKG : Security PKG : HID
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
That didn't work on my vehicle. I only used the pad of my finger and the buttons still failed.
+1, my fingernails are bitten off daily. Oh well, it is just a painted 1$ piece of plastic.

Some people lead the way blindly, Others follow with 20/20 vision

Aaron S.
2011 5.0| MT82| White/Saddle|HID|Brembo|3.73| GT/CS Fascia| Saleen Grill| DynaTech LT's and O/R X| AFCO Aluminum Radiator | J&M LCA's & RELO's|Hurst Billet + | Eibach Pro Springs| KONI STR-T |Bama93| Airaid| 255/40/19(f)285/35/19(r) Kuhmo ECSTA XS|

Gone but not forgotten
|08 Mustang GT, MT Black| 05 IS 300 MT Black| 00 Camaro SS MT Black|95 Acura Integra GSR MT Black | 91 Prelude Si 4WS MT Black|

FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzr7 View Post
This is just not acceptable, will be contacting Tamiami Ford in Naples FLA to schedule warranty replacement of at least two of these buttons on steering wheel. Man it ticks me off at night. $33K Car, lax design quality for components that human beings will constantly interact with.

Other then that, My Candy Red V6 is still my baby!
Hi Fitzr7,

Welcome to the forum. My name is Deysha with Ford Service. I recommend you speak to your Ford dealer about this and have it diagnosed. Your service manager will be in the best position to assist you with this. If you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to PM me.

Deysha
Apprentice

I'm having the same problem on the volume and track buttons. at night the light is shining through it. Neither of us have nails and the car only has 9k miles. Will be making an appt. with the dealer.

2011 6-Speed GT Convertible Premium, Ingot Silver, Brick Red/Cashmere Leather, Premier Trim W/Color Accent, Electronics Package, Security Package, HID Headlamps, Comfort Package, Brembo Brake Package and Rear Video Camera. FRPP air cleaner(K+N) and PROCAL re-tune.
Apprentice

Mine wore off the volume/seek buttons within a few months of getting the car. Dealer replaced them both and they're fine over a year later. I don't know if they're painted differently or what, but the replacements are holding up like a champ.

2011 GT, Kona Blue Brembo 3.73

Mods: Airaid CAI, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, Koni STR.T shocks and dampers, BBK Longtubes and X-pipe, Lethal OAPs, GT500 Axle Back, Forgestar F14s 19x9/20x11, Fays2 Watts Link, Barton SS and Bracket
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldocella1 View Post
I'm having the same problem on the volume and track buttons. at night the light is shining through it. Neither of us have nails and the car only has 9k miles. Will be making an appt. with the dealer.
I also recommend you speak to your Ford dealer about this and have it diagnosed, aldocella1. Your service manager will be in the best position to assist you with this. If you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to PM me.

Deysha
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

My car is almost two years old with over 20k miles and I have not had this problem at all. I am guessing that most of the people that are having this problem probably tend to leave their fingertips resting on the buttons even when not pressing them and the oils are causing the problem, just my $.02.

-Steve
2011 GT Premium, Kona Blue, Security, Brembo, and 3.73s
Mods: Magnaflow Street Series Cat Back
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSteve View Post
My car is almost two years old with over 20k miles and I have not had this problem at all. I am guessing that most of the people that are having this problem probably tend to leave their fingertips resting on the buttons even when not pressing them and the oils are causing the problem, just my $.02.
That wan't my experience.

The button problem was well known to me, so I avoided using / touching them, except as-required. Even then I only used the pad of my finger, not the nail.

They still failed.

My 2 ...

2011 GT Mustang - Performance White / Brick Red - Cashmere : 401A : Brembo : Electronics PKG : Spoiler Delete : 3.73:1 : Glass Roof : Comfort PKG : Security PKG : HID
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
That wan't my experience.

The button problem was well known to me, so I avoided using / touching them, except as-required. Even then I only used the pad of my finger, not the nail.

They still failed.
That seems crazy to me but that being said I would take it in under warranty. It looks like it is something they will fix. Good luck!

-Steve
2011 GT Premium, Kona Blue, Security, Brembo, and 3.73s
Mods: Magnaflow Street Series Cat Back
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSteve View Post
That seems crazy to me but that being said I would take it in under warranty. It looks like it is something they will fix.
Already done, all-set, thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page